Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

You made me nostalgic and I truly miss these M-Class beautiful restaurants! They added a unique individualism to these ships and service was always exceptional.

I don't usually get too upset about changes in ships, thinking the company has more insight into what they need to do to stay competitive, but changing those restaurants makes me very sad. The end of an era....

Helicopters do not land on Celebrity M or S class ships. The flagpoles are lowered into hatches, copters hover, lines are lowered, crewmen drop to the helipad tgen connect stretchers and raise them to the awaiting rescue craft. The name helipad doesnt mean it’s a landing area, but a service area

I never meant to imply that helicopters land on the helipad. I have personally have seen heli evacuations on the Solstice and the Infinity (and the "takedown" process) and yes baskets were used. My original point was the area is very small..

By the way I am a PILOT and full well know what a helipad is and isn't.

Lloyd, I recall an article attached early in this thread talking about how Edge would have double decker lifeboats. Do you know... in the photo.... there is what appears to be an opening...on the right... is that a staircase/ladder down to a lower level?

Lloyd, I recall an article attached early in this thread talking about how Edge would have double decker lifeboats. Do you know... in the photo.... there is what appears to be an opening...on the right... is that a staircase/ladder down to a lower level?

If this is same life boat, you can see the stairs and upper level at doorway.

f9c5aeac2972d805549fd701f8ac1a38.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Wow...really great posts and photos

Sad to see the fancy restaurants go...enjoyed them all.

Truth is many folks did not want to dress up to match the venue, eat soooo much food or invest time in a muti course feast,. So they are gone! Hope some of the new venues will be outstanding in their own way..

Here is the article that was posted earlie(by Lloyd).... now I assume from one word that does not seem to translate (Dobbeldekker)... that is it double decker. The photo looks like the second level is low... so you have to stoop a bit? I had worried that a double decker lifeboat might make deck 6 cabins a bit more obstructed than S class.... but perhaps not. All good

https://www.tu.no/artikler/cruiseskip-med-mobilt-dekk-til-13-etasjer-teknisk-helt-pa-kanten/430675

May I take a Nanosecond of your time and point out that this looks pretty freakin cool to me in the given context?!

:hearteyes:

This is a beautiful room. I recently got a brochure "What if we took our entire fleet to the Edge?" and the one room that struck me in the mailer as one I did not care for was the Main Restaurant. This one looks just as perfect as I could want.

Helicopters do not land on Celebrity M or S class ships. The flagpoles are lowered into hatches, copters hover, lines are lowered, crewmen drop to the helipad tgen connect stretchers and raise them to the awaiting rescue craft. The name helipad doesnt mean it’s a landing area, but a service area

That may be the practice now for M Class ships, but hasn’t always been. I was on Constellation in May 2002 (third revenue cruise) when the Dutch Air Force did land on the bow to extract a sick passenger. This was when we were traveling between Oslo and Dover if memory serves. I will try and find the photos I took.

In September 2004 before starting the westbound crossing on a TA, also on Constellation they lowered a litter to extract a passenger. In that case I do not remember any crew from the helicopter repelling down first. This was in the Bay of Biscay.

Joe

I think the practice of landing helicopters on cruise ships for evacs is a thing of the past. I’ve been cruising for a long time now on many different lines and I’ve witnessed lots of evacs. In the past I’ve actually seen the helicopter land on the ship. I haven’t seen that in many years though, on any ship. Now they just seem to hover above the designated helicopter pad and lower the gurney.

Amazing pictures, Lloyd!! Happy Sunday!

Where to begin - major discovery for those in the aft, I believe! It appears that the balconies do connect and with doors instead at the ends (or at least the cabins with firewalls. I wondered if they would do that for at least the S1's and adjoining cabins since they are Sky Family Suites at Xmas and New Years. Very cool! :D

Also, hcat, it looks like you may have a view from 7 into Eden (unless the glass is one way). :D

enhance

Amazing pictures, Lloyd!! Happy Sunday!

Where to begin - major discovery for those in the aft, I believe! It appears that the balconies do connect and with doors instead at the ends (or at least the cabins with firewalls. I wondered if they would do that for at least the S1's and adjoining cabins since they are Sky Family Suites at Xmas and New Years. Very cool! :D

Also, hcat, it looks like you may have a view from 7 into Eden (unless the glass is one way). :D

enhance

There are more exterior photos from RV GL. Any other views you want to check out?

MSC Bellissima.

Thank you. I just looked her up. She will be on her maiden voyage in March 2019 so 3 months behind Edge. Bellissima will be much larger at 171,598 GT and 4500 passengers. That is massive compared to Edge at 129,500 GT. I am amazed at how this shipyard can turn these ships out almost simultaneously.

There are more exterior photos from RV GL. Any other views you want to check out?

Yes!! All of them! ;) So hard to choose, but are there anymore closeup pictures of the aft more straight on, especially corner aft? Would love to see any closeups of MC area and also trying to see the Blu windows and outside dining area between aft and midship deck 5 starboard (around last lifeboat and just past that lifeboat).

Thanks!! :D

Yes!! All of them! So hard to choose, but are there anymore closeup pictures of the aft more straight on, especially corner aft? Would love to see any closeups of MC area and also trying to see the Blu windows and outside dining area between aft and midship deck 5 starboard (around last lifeboat and just past that lifeboat).

Thanks!!

Ah. Maybe circle those spots for me. I'm FB friends with a retired gentleman who visits the ship yard regularly and can take specific photos. ;p

Meanwhile more RV GL images ...

e2feb4a6d11599c6484eda28b87942a0.jpg

Who has that cabin next to the bridge?

79f29afb256667dab2f0217b7e7d6239.jpg

82f0db21b1c6addbfbd677db81b477af.jpg

45992e3cfc7ec9ce967af74115efa6b6.jpg

1385202a9cadc26ca4bf0db7342cf600.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

Okay, it looks like there is a door when there is a firewall between cabins (see upper cabin door circled and right lower one) and a folding door in the front when no firewall (see the left lower one that is circled). That's great that they can be connected, IMO. It will be great when sailing with family and friends.

The SV balconies look large (and awesome)!

enhance