Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

Could it possibly retract back into the ceiling/floor above?

b99fc98a00ca89baf6cd27de55993772.jpg

That is a good photo.... I saw a video posted on facebook... during the start of the trials.... that area over the thingy... is open... or at least I see no ceiling. You might be accurate.. this could be an access panel to get into something to window washing, painting and other maintenance. It looks like it could retract back into the ceiling when not in use. In that case, no issue for the most part... except when in use. Better than having it there all the time. Thanks for this nice closeup

I found this on facebook... it deals with the bow design. I don't really like the look of it ... I prefer a more sleek looking ship.... The edge with the IV does have a sleek look...on the port side.. the bow kinda messes that up... but if stability and fuel efficiency are the reasons... well I will learn to love it... particularly after reading the item that VT added. Sounds like it will be a nice ride... Now lets hope the MC does not rattle to much in the wind.

Thanks for arrow pointing to Deluxe Ocean View 9111. Wondering what is above on Deck 10. It seems to be part of bridge but I can't tell from deck plans.

I've been wondering if there are cabins for officers above you (and below the bridge)?

I found this on facebook... it deals with the bow design. I don't really like the look of it ... I prefer a more sleek looking ship.... The edge with the IV does have a sleek look...on the port side.. the bow kinda messes that up... but if stability and fuel efficiency are the reasons... well I will learn to love it... particularly after reading the item that VT added. Sounds like it will be a nice ride... Now lets hope the MC does not rattle to much in the wind.

https://malcolmoliver.wordpress.com/2018/01/23/a-new-look-for-ships-bows/

I see I forgot to add link

I hope Nemanoxer doesn't mind if I post this here. He/she posted it on another thread that isn't getting as many views. It is a very interesting report:

From Nemanoxer:

A little report, taken from

https://www.meretmarine.com/fr/conte...e-prend-la-mer

Translated with Google

Under construction since the spring, its first sistership, the future Celebrity Apex (K34) will come into service in the spring of 2020. Two other units (L34 and M34) have been commissioned by the American company Celebrity Cruises, a subsidiary of the RCCL group. These boats are to be delivered by Chantiers de l'Atlantique in the fall of 2021 and in the fall of 2022. A fifth could then be added to the series.

Thanks, very interesting article. It seems to corroborate the article I found and posted in April from a French source that X's second Edge class ship's steel cutting had taken place and construction had begun (but they were still calling it Beyond).

It also answered my question about Apex assuming Beyond's designation as K34.

Another interesting article.

https://www.meretmarine.com/fr/content/saint-nazaire-le-second-edge-renomme-celebrity-apex

“Although the production of the metal parts of this vessel has been ongoing since spring, it was only yesterday that the ceremony of cutting the first sheet of the second cruise ship ordered by Celebrity Cruises took place in Saint-Nazaire. While the seed, the Celebrity Edge (J34), is scheduled to begin its sea trials this week for commissioning next November, its first sistership has been renamed. The K34 will not be named as originally planned Celebrity Beyond, but Celebrity Apex, revealed the shipowner during the ceremony yesterday at Chantiers de l'Atlantique, who have also just changed their name following the share buyback STX by the French State.

Scheduled for service in the spring of 2020, the Celebrity Apex will be followed by two sisterships, available in the fall of 2021 and in the fall of 2022. A fifth unit of this type could complete the series.”

It a fire wall. The ship is sectioned off into fire zones, and that is an extra thick fireproof wall. There will be a recessed fire door in the corridor right there as well.

Yes they are the beginning and ending of that particular fire zone. In many respects it’s desirable to have a cabin directly next to one, as that wall will be extra thick and you won’t hear anything from the cabin next door.

-eroller. - Thanks again for this insight. After carefully looking over the deck plans and the recent closeup photos from Lloyd, I changed my cabin to one of those. The other reason for the switch is, for every four series of the S2s on deck 9 and 10 the middle two have a pole/rod on the balcony. Is it a big deal? No, but given a choice with little or no obstruction I would choose no obstruction. Plus having recently cruised on MSC Seaside in a Grand Suite with a great interior but one of the worst balconies I have ever had, Edge will be a huge step up in balcony and other things.

-eroller. - Thanks again for this insight. After carefully looking over the deck plans and the recent closeup photos from Lloyd, I changed my cabin to one of those. The other reason for the switch is, for every four series of the S2s on deck 9 and 10 the middle two have a pole/rod on the balcony. Is it a big deal? No, but given a choice with little or no obstruction I would choose no obstruction. Plus having recently cruised on MSC Seaside in a Grand Suite with a great interior but one of the worst balconies I have ever had, Edge will be a huge step up in balcony and other things.

Good pick up!

Good pick up!

Thanks. I think now that we are seeing more photos and closeups of things, one can see some details that were not that apparent before. This balcony thing that I saw is a minor example, but that window washing thing on deck 12 is a bigger reveal that was unknown until recently. Not sure I would pick that cabin on 12 where that thing comes down from now that I know.

I noticed another item that people need to consider when selecting a cabin. It appears that on deck 6 the B1 cabins on the bow plus an addition 5 E4 cabins just past the B1, will have a walkway to the bow in front of their balconies/verandas. There probably isn't a lot of traffic, but something to consider when dressing... I am sorry the photos I saw were on a facebook page called "Celebrity Edge and Celebrity Apex". There is an outside staircase that does up from deck 5 to 6.

I noticed another item that people need to consider when selecting a cabin. It appears that on deck 6 the B1 cabins on the bow plus an addition 5 E4 cabins just past the B1, will have a walkway to the bow in front of their balconies/verandas. There probably isn't a lot of traffic, but something to consider when dressing... I am sorry the photos I saw were on a facebook page called "Celebrity Edge and Celebrity Apex". There is an outside staircase that does up from deck 5 to 6.

Is this what you meant? That would be a bit intrusive to have people walking by your balcony - hope it is for crew only and low traffic. Thanks for pointing it out! :D

enhance

Yes, right at the end of the circle you drew, there is a staircase that goes down to deck 5. Sorry I can't figure out a way to link to photos on facebook... but there is a collection of photos that shows it more clearly. Memo to self.... remember to lock you balcony door and not leave the infinity window open. There is a fellow on facebook who attached some images... Yvan Jolivet... he has some nice closeup shots from the trials

Oh, geez. There goes my privacy. I can't see where that walkway starts, though. I see that it ends at a stairway going up to the bow, but can't figure out from the photos, or the deck plan, where it starts (looks like roughly 6124 and 6125) and how you access it????

I have been trying to locate the video that showed it.... but from what I recall there is one stair case around 6124 that goes from deck 5 up to deck 6... then a second at the end of the rows of cabins that goes up to the bow... basically deck 7. Not sure this will work, but if you check this facebook page... look at photo #14... and it kinda shows the staircase on the left.... Now what I am not sure of is if there is a gap between the cabins and the walkway. It is possible that there is some distance between the cabins and the walkways... I will keep trying to find the photo I saw earlier.

Originally posted by kearnay

Yes, right at the end of the circle you drew, there is a staircase that goes down to deck 5. Sorry I can't figure out a way to link to photos on facebook... but there is a collection of photos that shows it more clearly. Memo to self.... remember to lock you balcony door and not leave the infinity window open. There is a fellow on facebook who attached some images... Yvan Jolivet... he has some nice closeup shots from the trials

Oh, geez. There goes my privacy. I can't see where that walkway starts, though. I see that it ends at a stairway going up to the bow, but can't figure out from the photos, or the deck plan, where it starts (looks like roughly 6124 and 6125) and how you access it????

Thank you. Yup. Right in front of my room. I’m finding more and more things not to like about Edge.....

And I am stunned that they are not selling those rooms as obstructed. A walkway in front of my balcony is certainly an obstruction

I'm believe it is a temporary ladder/set of stairs for the ship yard workers to access the bow, and ...

44717db53781d8cd0cc57a2f74a5ffcd.jpg

… how will people get up to that area above the ship name?

5e0184d807b67a8f0381be6b7bdf3069.jpg

b58b71d479fba77919b7419783693927.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

Lloyd, thanks for the tight shots.... it does look temporary... or there would likely have been something that look permanent by now. Sorry cruisestich for freaking you out. But Lloyd how will crew normally get to this area? Wouldn't they have cause to go to the bow? I understand that ships are not having pads for helicopters anymore.. so they likely don't have to go up there for that. Thanks again Llyod for being able to provide a tight shot

... But Lloyd how will crew normally get to this area? Wouldn't they have cause to go to the bow? I understand that ships are not having pads for helicopters anymore.. so they likely don't have to go up there for that.

Check out these construction photos.

The crew can access the bow from within the ship.

161f96a4dd202fc437f79ed66abddf59.jpg

cfad6371c70fc9284af8502a680507d5.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

Thank you. Yup. Right in front of my room. I’m finding more and more things not to like about Edge.....

And I am stunned that they are not selling those rooms as obstructed. A walkway in front of my balcony is certainly an obstruction

Are you sure that isn’t a temporary reeling and stair case for construction purposes?

EDIT: Oops, other observant already pointed this out.