Oceania's R2 vs. Azamara's R6 Comparison?

ChucktownSteve

We have booked our first two R Class ships for upcoming cruises. R2; Oceania's Regatta and R6; the Azamara Journey.

I was wondering if anyone has sailed these two vessels and can give me their opinions on the difference/similarities that we can look forward to.

I don't want to include the itineraries in the discussion because one is cruising the Baltics while the other will be Alaska. That would be apples to oranges.

(I also posted this on the Azamara board to see if there were different opinions based on their fans.)

What type of differences are you looking for?

Amenities? perks?

The ships layout is basically the same the cabins are the same size except on Azamara deck 8 does not have all larger cabins (PH on O) & Aza have added 2 spa suites on deck 9

The decor is totally different on Azamara

It's been a while since we've cruised on Azamara. At that time there would be no comparison as the A ships were in bad need of refurbishment. The beds were awful, many things a bit ragged.

It is my understanding that things have much improved since both A ships were refurbished. They apparently have a more contemporary feel (color scheme, etc).

Perhaps you can tell us afterwards? :)

I know there are people here that have cruised on A more recently - Bitob, are you listening? :D

We sailed before the refurb but regardless we would never sail on Azamara again. Oceania far superior in every respect unless you value constantly schmoozing with officers. No value to us

Would you mind expanding on that please? BTW I've never schmoozed with an officer on any line. That's above my pay grade.

I think that Bitbob is referring to AZ passengers' preferring the "friendlier" officers and crew that they don't find on Oceania.

But while we haven't sailed on AZ, we find the Oceania officers and staff very friendly when we have encountered them. But we don't go out of our way to do so, nor do we have a desire to do so.

For some this is a negative. Not for us.

What is important to YOU is the question.

(For the record, we don't much care who is the CD either.)

Mura

I sailed with AZ twice and said I would never cruise with them again. They have an itinerary that ticks off all of the ports I am interested in and due to the fact that have had a refurb, we have booked another cruise with them. It is only about itinerary and timing.

Also, we could care less about any interaction with the officers, captain, or crew.

We will use it as our floating hotel.

I've sailed the Insignia (which I assume is very similar to Regatta) and the Azamara ships in the past year. These were the differences I perceived. Oceania prides itself on the cuisine, and I would rate the food as a solid notch above AZ. The passengers on Oceania seemed to be more Canadian and US than British as on AZ. What I love about AZ and which makes me favor it over Oceania R ships, is the attention paid to outdoor spaces. The promenade deck has comfortable chairs and is continually serviced with towels and tidying. Deck 11 as well has wonderful seating and is a great place to watch the sea and socialize. Neither of these areas were serviced on Oceania, and I had to request deck chairs on the promenade. On AZ there is an outdoor bar area in the aft outdoor buffet seating. It's another great place to spend time outdoors and enjoy a pre dinner cocktail. Yes , more interaction with officers on AZ, which you can take or leave. I like Oceania itineraries more at the moment than AZ but that may be because I've sailed with AZ so many times. Hope this helps.

We've sailed on Azamara Journey, just this fall, and loved it. Have sailed Riviera, but not an Oceania R ship, and probably won't, because we didn't enjoy the ambience of Oceania. We did really like that aspect of Azamara and certainly would sail on them again with the right itinerary. This was after the major refurb, and the ship was in very nice shape. We had a Club Continent Suite, which is like a PH I guess, and although the size was great, and the shower wonderful, with a good-sized balcony, I'm not sure I'd bother next time--there was no walk-in closet and the closet space was tight, and part had just open shelves for clothing, no drawers. We found that a bit odd. Also no loveseat, just a strange collection of chairs--not a very well thought-out space, imho.

Food might not have been up to Riviera, but it was very good nevertheless and we quite enjoyed the ship.

We were very impressed by our August Azamara Norway cruise (which we booked because Oceania's Norway cruise goes to Putinlands.). The Quest's ship's refurbishment is lovely and we felt that the food also was upgraded considerably in the three years since our last Azamara cruise.

Husband prefers the O ships so it has been awhile since we have sailed on an Oceania R ship but Azamara IMO has upped its game to be very competitive with Oceania in the food and entertainment areas. It always had great itineraries and now it has nice cabins plus very good food to offer. Breakfast still is better on Oceania but dinners now almost are equal and the White Nights deck party and AzAmazing evening are very nice extra touches.

Also the lecturer on board was far better than any we have had on Oceania.

Edited by CintiPam

The biggest difference you'll find between Azamara and Oceania is the soft product since the R class ships, while not identical, are more similar than different. IMHO Oceania delivers a vastly superior product in dining (MDR and specialties), public spaces, personal accommodations and enrichment. Their ships are immaculate and well appointed. For us, it's a more refined experience. Azamara is more casual and less elegant. Their on-board product is average for the most part, though they do have moments of greatness. Azamara is known for its friendly and accessible officers and staff, which many fans love but it holds little charm for us. We sailed Azamara this past September and weren't too impressed with the "reimagination" of the ship. We thought the new furniture, carpets and finishings looked cheap and faux. Many areas were already showing wear and tear after only 6 months, so I don't think it's going to hold up well in the long term. It would take an exceptionally unique itinerary to get us back on Azamara.

PS. "Who Moved My Cheese?" still sits on my bookshelf, a throwback to my days in OD.

The biggest difference you'll find between Azamara and Oceania is the soft product since the R class ships, while not identical, are more similar than different. IMHO Oceania delivers a vastly superior product in dining (MDR and specialties), public spaces, personal accommodations and enrichment. Their ships are immaculate and well appointed. For us, it's a more refined experience. Azamara is more casual and less elegant. Their on-board product is average for the most part, though they do have moments of greatness. Azamara is known for its friendly and accessible officers and staff, which many fans love but it holds little charm for us. We sailed Azamara this past September and weren't too impressed with the "reimagination" of the ship. We thought the new furniture, carpets and finishings looked cheap and faux. Many areas were already showing wear and tear after only 6 months, so I don't think it's going to hold up well in the long term. It would take an exceptionally unique itinerary to get us back on Azamara.

That would have been pretty much my assessment of the "old" Azamara that I remember (except that I did like the more friendly and approachable officers - but they were not deal breakers one way or another).

Sorry to hear that the reimagination didn't change things very much for the ship itself.

We have been on the Journey, the Nautica, and the Regatta. All were quite good except the Nautica where we had some major service issues. I am not sure my definition of smoozing is the same as others' definition. To me smoozing takes place when one wants something and sometimes money has even passed hands. On The Journey our captain lives in his off season in Charleston. We rather enjoyed the interactions with the staff and officers. It was nice to have officers wishing us a good day when leaving the ship. Since gratuities are included on AZ, there was no need to smooze. We felt the service was good. We had the best room attendant ever. The breakfast we has as a result of our Celebrity status was one of the best experiences we have had on a ship. Perhaps this was due to a smaller venue. It was my husband's birthday on the Journey and the staff went out of its way to make it special. I requested none of this. On the Nautica this past July we celebrated our anniversary. Other than our friends' doings, recognition from the staff was minimal. But, in the grand scheme of things it was not a big deal.

Oceania's food is superior to AZ, but that is not to say it is not edible on AZ. My only complaint about AZ is that there were several nights where a buffet was the only option. I realize this is a personal choice of mine, but buffets are my least favorite dining venue.

We rarely go to the shows on Oceania but we went to most on AZ. The cabaret style was an enjoyable change. We never have paid much attention to the CD but we truly enjoyed Eric on the Journey.

Both lines can get into more unique ports due to ship size, but our port times were much longer on the Journey perhaps due to the itinerary--the Greek Isles. This made our time much less rushed.

We enjoy both lines but they are different. The Journey was tastefully decorated and felt refreshed. We really had no negatives about the decor on the Regatta or the Nautica-- only that dreaded shower curtain. Itinerary trumps everything and to some degree price. We got a good deal on the AZ one and originally was going to Istanbul. That obviously did not happen. AZ covered our change fees, but so did Oceania when the maiden voyage on the Riveria did not happen.

Enjoy both of your cruises. They will be different but both should be enjoyable. Since your ports are in the north, use of outdoor dining might be reduced, but you may escape the heat and humidity of the South!

From a fellow South Carolinian

We have been on both the Journey (pre-refurbishment) and the Regatta (this year). We've had the same cabin on both (7067) and they seemed pretty much the same. Speaking just of the ships, we saw little difference. After all, they are sister ships. Maybe the finer touches are lost on us.

We have many cruises on many different lines -- never had a bad one. Some cruises are better than others. Some are superlative. All cruises and lines have pros and cons.

I wouldn't hesitate to take either of these ships again.

FWIW,

Bruce

The promenade deck has comfortable chairs and is continually serviced with towels and tidying. Deck 11 as well has wonderful seating and is a great place to watch the sea and socialize. Neither of these areas were serviced on Oceania, and I had to request deck chairs on the promenade.

Can you clarify this Promenade deck you speak of ???

Where is it ?

As far as the pool deck & deck 11 on Oceania the crew are continually changing the covers & towels on the lounges there at least in my experience the did

That would have been pretty much my assessment of the "old" Azamara that I remember (except that I did like the more friendly and approachable officers - but they were not deal breakers one way or another).

Sorry to hear that the reimagination didn't change things very much for the ship itself.

We have been on AZ since the "reimagination" and really liked the new look...didn't find it cheap or faux at all...yes...very different from the R ships on "O"...because it is a more modern, light look now. We love both lines...and feel lucky to be able to be on either line or any of their ships!!! We do find the food on "O' to be better and do miss the additional restaurants offered on the O ships...but find the friendly officers and CDs to be a lot of fun. It is wonderful that we all have choices, right? LuAnn

We have sailed several times on the Journey (both pre- and post-refurbishment) and the Quest. And have also sailed on the Regatta and Insignia and looking forward to the Sirena next week. I agree with comments above that indicate that dining on O is better than on A. Not a lot ... but noticeable ... especially in the evening buffets. The overall feel and style of the public spaces on O are more subdued ... refined comfort. Staterooms for all practical purposes are the same ... with the exception of the beds and linens - here O wins hands down. The one exception are the new Spa Suites on A ... they are drop-dead gorgous! Also, $$$$$ :eek:

These R ships were beautiful works of art ... however, little by little they seem to be morphing into modernism. Ceiling murals being painted oven ... comfortable, leather club chairs being replaced with modern seating, floor coverings taking on the look of modern art. I cannot agree with LuAnn ... I do NOT like A's "reimagination". IMHO I think they have cheapened the decor. I was on the Journey three weeks post-drydock and already the new carpets and upholstery were showing signs of wear. And, I was not impressed with the new "Club Continent Suites" ... very modern with little thought given to utility or comfort.

A plus for A ... there Azamazing Evenings can be unique and quite enjoyable. Also, the aforementioned "Eric" ... a wonderfully entertaining CD.

It sounds as if both lines have some pluses and minuses but overall beat Celebrity. :D Thus we'll enjoy both O & A. I hope it will be difficult to determine which one is better.

I do remember the Marina's bed was the best I've ever had on any cruise we've taken. The food was also the best in my experience.

I did have a very minor incident in one of the specialty restaurants. As I was passing the concierge, I mentioned it to him. The next day I received a phone call from the F&B Manager for a discussion. They bent over backwards to impress me and the rest of the cruise was made special by their attitudes.

What made it even more impressive was that we were booked in an inside cabin.

We're fortunate that we have reached a stage in our life where quality out trumps cheap. We are so looking forward to both cruises. Thank you all for your comments.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

One good thing about the Club Continent Suites......

it's going to be impossible to tell when those carpets are worn or dirty- :p

That carpeting would make me nuts

In the other cabins it is the same look for the carpets

Looks like someone spilled ink :D

... I was on the Journey three weeks post-drydock and already the new carpets and upholstery were showing signs of wear. And, I was not impressed with the new "Club Continent Suites" ... very modern with little thought given to utility or comfort.

I definitely agree with you there. Such a lovely large space, without the attention to how it's going to be used that should be standard when designing a ship's cabin. So much wasted space.

That carpeting would make me nuts

In the other cabins it is the same look for the carpets

Looks like someone spilled ink :D

Actually Lyn had the same concern before our trip about the carpet. About half way thru the cruise my DW and I both were surprised that the other had no problems with the carpet and that we had hardly noticed it while in the Suite. As to space, again we were concerned as we are overpackers but, we had plenty of room and those drawers under the TV as well as the top seemed to have more than enough room as well as other storage spaces. Yes, those drawers are deep and near the floor level but, we had no issues and actually booked the same suite number for our next Azamara cruise although on Journey, not Quest.

The one exception are the new Spa Suites on A ... they are drop-dead gorgous! Also, $$$$$ :eek:

Yes, but at the expense of gutting the Computer and Card rooms!

183442.jpg

These Suites are on their deckplans now, but it appears that they have not done any exterior work to accomodate the Spa Suite verandas.

183714.jpg

Makes me wonder how far they are willing to take the concept of "re-imagining".

AZAJourney_b.jpg

If I read you correctly, and maybe I'm not, they expanded these suites but lost the internet room and card rooms to do so?

Well, that would make me think many times about booking on AZ. It's not that I use these rooms regularly -- the card rooms never, the internet room occasionally -- but I want them to be there.

Periodically I check out AZ in terms of itineraries, but so far haven't found one that fit right. But the lack of those rooms would make me think even further.

I guess I'll be staying with Oceania!

Mura