Bringing Wine Onboard - Still Conflicting Info on This

Hazydavo

Hi, I know this has been done to death but I feel there is still no clear direction on this. I keep reading that you are able to bring onboard 2 bottles of wine per stateroom (no grey there) AND also can take them to the dining room and there is no corkage charged. However for my upcoming cruise (Explorer OTS South Pacific) my cruise documentation says that corkage will be charged.

Alcoholic Beverage Policy

Guests are now allowed to bring onboard on embarkation

day only two bottles (75cl) of wine or champagne

per stateroom. These are for consumption within the

stateroom. To consume these in any public area a corkage

fee will be charged.

Does it make a difference if the cruise is based in Australia?

You are ALLOWED 2 bottles per cabin...assuming there are 2 adults in the cabin. There is NO corkage on RCI....none. Put your allowed wine in your carry-on.

And...because there is NO CORKAGE...you may consume it ANYWHERE...at ANYTIME.

Edited by cb at sea

You are ALLOWED 2 bottles per cabin...assuming there are 2 adults in the cabin. There is NO corkage on RCI....none. Put your allowed wine in your carry-on.

And...because there is NO CORKAGE...you may consume it ANYWHERE...at ANYTIME.

Ok, so just ignore what's in black and white in the Cruise Doco?

Ok, so just ignore what's in black and white in the Cruise Doco?

We sailed on Radianc from Sydney in 2015 and were able to bring on 2 bottles of wine.....with no corkage fee. I don't think there's been any change.

Below is what is in our Edocs for an upcoming cruise in Jan 2017.

Alcohol Policy

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor,

fortified wines (vermouth, sherry, sake, and port wines)

or nonalcoholic beverages onboard for consumption

or any other use. Guests may bring personal wine or

champagne onboard only on embarkation day, limited to

two (2) bottles (no boxes) of 750 ml each per stateroom.

Wine should be brought onboard via carry on if possible.

Luggage containing wine or champagne will not be

delivered to the stateroom and guests will need to retrieve

their luggage from security once the ship has set sail.

Only staterooms with at least one (1) guest over 21 years

of age are eligible to bring bottles of wine or champagne

onboard. Guests may request a corkscrew to use for

opening bottles in their stateroom.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

The website is notoriously slow concerning updates. Your best information is here, where actual passengers are able to give you the correct info. While I don't think you will have a problem re: the corkage fee (no one has reported being charged corkage in quite some time), perhaps it would be best to post on the current thread mema mentioned.

As all have said, the policy is as follows: 2 bottles of wine @ 750 ml each per stateroom at original embarkation.

And from direct experience on several ships, there no longer is a corkage fee in any venue. In fact the waiters will gladly open and store it for you. As Karen said, the website is typically slow in updating these types of policy changes.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The website is notoriously slow concerning updates. Your best information is here, where actual passengers are able to give you the correct info. While I don't think you will have a problem re: the corkage fee (no one has reported being charged corkage in quite some time), perhaps it would be best to post on the current thread mema mentioned.

Karen you are far to polite.

The website is FUBAR :eek:

OP....As has been stated Royal does not update all sections of their website when they make changes. No corkage fees on any Royal ships sailing anywhere.

Karen you are far to polite.

The website is FUBAR :eek:

OP....As has been stated Royal does not update all sections of their website when they make changes. No corkage fees on any Royal ships sailing anywhere.

Agree that the RCI website isn't always accurate and agree with what others have said about "no corkage fee". OP's post said "However for my upcoming cruise (Explorer OTS South Pacific) my cruise documentation says that corkage will be charged." Not sure where that is coming from...

I only mentioned checking that thread since some ships in other markets, like Quantum, have charges for things that are free in the Caribbean market. I think they are handling tips differently for the Explorer sailings, corkage could be handled differently too.:)

What will happen if I put the 2 bottles of wine in my luggage? Has anyone done that without problems?

Your bag may get delayed if security thinks the contents look suspicious. However, once you go down to security and show them the wine, they will release the bag to you.

What will happen if I put the 2 bottles of wine in my luggage? Has anyone done that without problems?

It is recommended to carry them on, but they would still be allowed in your luggage. We have never done that and I would not like to take the risk of them possibly breaking. And you may have to report to the "naughty room" to have your luggage opened in your presence to confirm that the bottles inside are indeed wine.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Hi, I know this has been done to death but I feel there is still no clear direction on this. I keep reading that you are able to bring onboard 2 bottles of wine per stateroom (no grey there) AND also can take them to the dining room and there is no corkage charged. However for my upcoming cruise (Explorer OTS South Pacific) my cruise documentation says that corkage will be charged.

Alcoholic Beverage Policy

Guests are now allowed to bring onboard on embarkation

day only two bottles (75cl) of wine or champagne

per stateroom. These are for consumption within the

stateroom. To consume these in any public area a corkage

fee will be charged.

Does it make a difference if the cruise is based in Australia?

We can't answer this, maybe it will. Who knows, your cruise has not happened.just pour it and walk it, no problem. Get wine glasses from any bar.

Every cruise is different

Haven't sailed from Australia, but definitely no corkage fee from US ports. OP indicated cruise documents said corkage fee - wondered if by chance OP booked with a travel agent and the agent is issuing the documents using old information.

No, booked direct with RC. The documentation I'm referring to that still says that they will charge corkage in public areas is when I login and go into My Cruises, select the cruise (reservation number) and then click on the Cruise Documentation tab. Then under Guest Ticket Booklets select check status, then Print and it opens in PDF ready to print (if one were to be so inclined).

It would appear that they haven't yet updated this because at this link under FAQs it says there's no corkage...

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=5442&faqSubjectId=336&wuc=AUS

No, booked direct with RC. The documentation I'm referring to that still says that they will charge corkage in public areas is when I login and go into My Cruises, select the cruise (reservation number) and then click on the Cruise Documentation tab. Then under Guest Ticket Booklets select check status, then Print and it opens in PDF ready to print (if one were to be so inclined).

It would appear that they haven't yet updated this because at this link under FAQs it says there's no corkage...

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=5442&faqSubjectId=336&wuc=AUS

It's par for the course for RC to have conflicting info. We carry wine on board all the time, most recently in October, and no corkage fees.

It's par for the course for RC to have conflicting info. We carry wine on board all the time, most recently in October, and no corkage fees.

Bob, I seem to recall others reporting this same wording on their cruise docs for Caribbean sailings as well. Like you we have ever been charged corkage fees and I haven't read any reports of anyone who has.