New Tapas Menu Comes to Oceania Cruises

LauraS

Oh my, this has me excited!! Terrace was a near perfect ship buffet restaurant, but they found a way to make it even better. It will be especially nice on those days when the port day off the ship has featured a particularly large lunch...a light Tapas dinner would be great.

Very nice, but I would call this a re-launch.

0001OCEANIA-Tapas-Terrace-1.jpg.jpg

"Tapas on the Terrace" was part of the original concept for the Terrace Restaurant, post luncheon......who remembers the infamous piped blue chair covers?

Smart looking, but the staff despised them.

Edited by JimandStan

"Tapas on the Terrace" was part of the original concept for the Terrace Restaurant, post luncheon......who remembers the infamous piped blue chair covers?

Exactly.

Wasn't a great success as I recall and hence was terminated.

Maybe it will be more inventive this time?

Edited by Paulchili

We were disappointed in TotT on our first Regatta cruise. It seemed just a nice name for the terrace in the evening, with standard (though very good) buffet food. We did love the space, though. In good weather, a bottle of Cava and a nice plate of tapas would be a treat.

No need to dress the chairs...just offer them for a light dinner., during regular Terrace dinner hours.

I love that La Boqueria was an inspiration. It is my favorite market in Europe.

I liked the chair covers. It dressed it up a bit. We enjoyed the tapas theme when we started cruising in 1985. But it disappeared long before the name.

The terrace is my least favourite venue for dinner. DH likes the sushi and I love it out on deck when the weather is nice. I go for the atmosphere rather than the food.....maybe that will change.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On nice evenings, if one isn't standing in line at 6-615 for at table on the outside seating area of the Terrace, it isn't going to happen. People typically Bogart the tables all evening. So only a select few will ever get to enjoy this setting.

On nice evenings, if one isn't standing in line at 6-615 for at table on the outside seating area of the Terrace, it isn't going to happen. People typically Bogart the tables all evening. So only a select few will ever get to enjoy this setting.

Short of setting a time limit, which would be equally unsuitable (Who gets the tables nearest the railing, who gets sunset?), I don't see what else they could possibly do.

I certainly wouldn't want to see the aft terrace expanded

234841.jpg That never goes well...

We enjoy tapas, especially every time we are in Spain. The main point, though, they are prepared fresh right before serving. It's interesting how they will serve tapas in Terrace. Looking forward to trying them on the Nautica in January.

Olga

The main point, though, they are prepared fresh right before serving.

For fish and the hot stuff, yes, but a huge proportion of Tapas might otherwise be characterized as crudite, salads and charcuterie-

Google Tapas buffet, and you will see what I mean. ;)

We enjoyed the first incarnation of Tapas in Terrace but never felt that it was truly a "tapas" experience.

We're happy to try the new version whenever ...

Mura

Murra,Shame but,You won't get a true tapas experience with the new version as Tapas is Spanish.Most of what I just saw was from other countries..Italian,Asian,African,Greek and so on....,sounds like a finger buffet to me...

Examples include Crostini with bresaola (a very lean Italian air-cured beef aged up to 3 months), gorgonzola and fig compote; fresh caramelized shrimp with onions and spicy chili sauce; vegetarian summer rolls with fresh herbs, tofu, rice noodles and a tamarind and peanut sauce; heirloom cherry tomato salad with Greek caper leaves; molten cheese souffle with chive veloute; and more.

I would love to see a tapas bar between 4 and 6:30 pm to fill the gap when there is no food available between meals other than tea time and the room menu. We eat late and the restaurants are closed when we arrive back on ship from touring.

Murra,Shame but,You won't get a true tapas experience with the new version as Tapas is Spanish.Most of what I just saw was from other countries..Italian,Asian,African,Greek and so on....,sounds like a finger buffet to me...

I should be embarrassed to say this but I'm not ... I've never really been all that wild about REAL tapas anyway! There, I said it. Finger food buffet from other areas will be fine with me. (And when they called the Terrace Buffet "Tapas" in the evening, they did often serve things like Paella, but as I said before in our eyes it was never a tapas experience.)

Mura

I would love to see a tapas bar between 4 and 6:30 pm to fill the gap when there is no food available between meals other than tea time and the room menu. We eat late and the restaurants are closed when we arrive back on ship from touring.

+1, fabulous idea!