Why include Ireland in a British Isles Medly?

BillPizzaiolo

The folks in Ireland don't appreciate being part of the British Isles. At least that is what a very good friend in Ireland expressed to us. Was it a USA faux pas or ignorance of geopolitical/geography by Oceania marketing?

Ireland is part of the British Isles, a geographical term.

http://irishpost.co.uk/difference-uk-britain-british-isles-north-south-ireland-explained/

The folks in Ireland don't appreciate being part of the British Isles. At least that is what a very good friend in Ireland expressed to us. Was it a USA faux pas or ignorance of geopolitical/geography by Oceania marketing?

Unless you're friend works in one of the ports served by the cruise in question, no "local" would care one iota about his geographical pondering. Many of the port businesses (and even their suppliers/service personnel) depend on tourism for their livelihood. the last thing on their mind while at work is geopolitics.

People in Northern Ireland do not like being called part of British anything, including geographical location, just like people of Quebec hate to be told Quebec is part of Canada.

Ireland is a separate country and Quebec is not but, the sentiment remains the same.

It's more complicated than that.

1. Ireland is a single island, situated next to Britain, but there are two countries on the island.

2. The Republic of Ireland makes up most of the island. It is an independent, sovereign state.

3. Northern Ireland makes up the northeastern part of the island. It is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Maybe because Oceania is a mainly US based line and a lot of US (& Canadian) citizens see themselves as Irish or Scottish? Lots of US & Canadian citizens we have met have "done" Ireland and Scotland tracing their ancestry.

Also Ireland is part of the British Isles and a beautiful area to visit so why wouldn't they?

And there are some Irish people who DO like being part of the UK

Maybe because Oceania is a mainly US based line and a lot of US (& Canadian) citizens see themselves as Irish or Scottish? Lots of US & Canadian citizens we have met have "done" Ireland and Scotland tracing their ancestry.

Also Ireland is part of the British Isles and a beautiful area to visit so why wouldn't they?

And there are some Irish people who DO like being part of the UK

Don't care who they are part of or not part of, it is a beautiful country with wonderful people. Both parts. Can't wait to go back.

1. Ireland is a single island, situated next to Britain, but there are two countries on the island.

2. The Republic of Ireland makes up most of the island. It is an independent, sovereign state.

3. Northern Ireland makes up the northeastern part of the island. It is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

thanks for clarifying for those who may not know this and in response to the original suggestion that O might not understand - O really does do its market research well and Belfast and Dublin and cork are all good ports for those of us who choose this trip and helps us make the buy decision.

Thank you, Darcy 15. The situation is complicated and not made any simpler with the exit of the UK from the EU.

The 26 counties of the Republic of Ireland and the 6 counties in the north constitute the island of Ireland. The 6 northern counties are still part of England. Don't believe you will find agreement on the use of the term "British Isles". But advertising is advertising.

It's 10 years since we were in Dublin and Belfast on an O cruise but they were highlights. It was particularly interesting for us from the other side of the pond when visiting Belfast to see the areas of the "troubles". (We did have a great guide on a private tour.)

Were we to do this itinerary again (back then it was an Iceland cruise) we'd be very disappointed to miss either port.

Mura

You described the situation perfectly. My DH is from London and was appalled that I wanted to visit Dublin. He explained the situation so I wasn't overly shocked when I watched the news at Heathrow (waiting for a flight to Dublin) when the weather came on and only Northern Ireland was shown on the map -- it was like Southern Island did not exist.

We visited Northern Ireland and enjoyed the beauty -- from a plane it looked like England with everything beautifully manicured and landscaped.

Southern Ireland was completely different - not as aesthetically beautiful but amazing in every other way. My DH forgot all about whatever political "stuff" occurred previously - he enjoyed it very much. Just this evening he mentioned going back to Dublin - he feels that their pubs are better than the pubs in England (probably a blasphemous thing to say but it is what it is).

In any case with the strong U.S. dollar, I hope to revisit both Northern and Southern Ireland (note: as expected, Northern Ireland uses GBP and Southern Ireland uses the Euro).

Edited by Travelcat2

We spent a little over a week in Ireland two years ago. Dublin was interesting; Ring of Kerry and Dingle Peninsula are as beautiful as everyone says. And every cab driver wants to know: "Are you havin' a good time?" And we were! Be prepared to see framed photos of the Kennedys, too.

It's 10 years since we were in Dublin and Belfast on an O cruise but they were highlights. It was particularly interesting for us from the other side of the pond when visiting Belfast to see the areas of the "troubles". (We did have a great guide on a private tour.)

Were we to do this itinerary again (back then it was an Iceland cruise) we'd be very disappointed to miss either port.

Mura

Mura - How soon we forget! You were in Dublin in 2014 on an Oceania transatlantic. I know this because I was on the ship with you. :)

Travelcat,Southern Ireland is stunning,If you go again,try doing the Ring Of Kerry...

Thanks for the tip. All we saw was from the train going across the island. It seemed rather desolate - a bit like Southern California. Will definitely try the Ring of Kerry on our next trip:)

Mura - How soon we forget! You were in Dublin in 2014 on an Oceania transatlantic. I know this because I was on the ship with you. :)

Blushing from shame!!! I forgot we were in Dublin on that cruise because we had a private tour that took us OUT of Dublin! It was a wonderful tour, too.

The main destination was Newgrange (which is in the news right now because of the solstice). We also visited several sites in the general vicinity. Perhaps the highlight was buying sandwiches in town and driving to our guide's home for lunch! It was a great day.

So in 2006 we DID have a day in Dublin, but in 2014 we had a day in the environs of Dublin!

Both were highly enjoyable. (And for the record, we also enjoyed our time in Belfast in 2006.)

Mura

FYI, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland are on the same Island if you must call it an Island, they Great Britain is also an Island. And, calling the Republic of Ireland Southern Ireland is a misstatement. The Republic of Ireland is an Independent country much like the US, Canada, etc. It is Northern Ireland that is part of England while the Republic is an independent country and why the Euro is used, speed limites and distances are in kilometers, etc. Before the EU, there were border crossings between the two different countries and in some places border crossing/immigration/customs buildings are still standing and visable. There is no Southern Ireland.

There is no Southern Ireland.

Exactly.

I wanted to point that out but someone would surely think I am picking on them :) I am glad you did point it out though.

There is North Korea and South Korea (and there used to be North & South Vietnam) but there is no Northern and Southern Ireland.

Edited by Paulchili