How formal is formal?/ general evening dress code

Hi ,

We are due to cruise from pr on a southern caribbean cruise on 4th feb, this is my second cruise and I cant for the life of me remember how formal formal night was last time!

will I look over dressed in full length gowns? I have knee length cocktail dresses that I can wear , and what do ladies tend to wear on the other nights?

Thanks in advance

Hi ,

We are due to cruise from pr on a southern caribbean cruise on 4th feb, this is my second cruise and I cant for the life of me remember how formal formal night was last time!

will I look over dressed in full length gowns? I have knee length cocktail dresses that I can wear , and what do ladies tend to wear on the other nights?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to CC. Enjoy your Cruise.

It varies. Most men I see wear at minimum sport jacket/blazer, with slacks, shirt, and tie. I personally wear a suit along with many people on board. There are the outliers that decide to not dress up as the dress code is only a suggestion

RC is less formal each time we sail. No longer take a suit or even a jacket and have no problems. There are some who dress up and often it depends upon where you sail from, European departures are less formal.

As Celebrity have discarded the formal night I'm not sure why RC still hang onto it even though it is on paper only. It would certainly reduce posts like this if RC were finally to clear it up and move with the times.

you'll see many people not bothering to dress up on formal night. You may be in the minority! And nobody cares what you're wearing, it's your vacation. If you want to wear a full length gown with your DH in a tux to get a formal portrait taken then go dancing, that's your business. You do what you want to do to make your cruise special to YOU.

On ladies, I've seen everything from a formal gown to pant/shirt on formal night. I am a "fancy dress from Dress Barn" type of gal, and have never felt out of place. Husband has always worn nice pants, dress shirt and tie on formal nights- sometimes a jacket, and has never felt out of place (even when he skipped the sports coat). On the last 2 cruises, I sat with one person who wore shorts every night in the MDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

FORMAL is formal....you cannot be "over-dressed"..... others might be "under-dressed"..but that's not your problem!

Maxi dresses are casual-wear. Just because something is long, doesn't make it formal. But...RCI will let it ride.

Cruiselines are trying to be more family oriented and usually younger people don't have formal clothes. Usually, it's Grandma you'll see in a long dress and Grandpa in a tux.

We've become a casual society. Nothing wrong with that, just the way it is. It used to be, people would "dress up" to go on a plane. Not happening anymore.

RC is less formal each time we sail. No longer take a suit or even a jacket and have no problems. There are some who dress up and often it depends upon where you sail from, European departures are less formal.

As Celebrity have discarded the formal night I'm not sure why RC still hang onto it even though it is on paper only. It would certainly reduce posts like this if RC were finally to clear it up and move with the times.

We personally like RC formal nights and it's the only time I wear a suit and tie all year...I would just be as happy in shorts, tee and flip flops but the better half won't let me get away with it. So I do mind it

Sent from Psycho's iPad using Forums

Don't be afraid to wear a formal dress if you want to.

Actually, Cruise Critic members will be a small part of the people on the cruise. Some people will read the cruise line's recommendations and go by it. Some won't, of course, but don't let the people who want it to be more casual stop you from enjoying the formal night the way you want. You won't be alone.