New question on post cruise survey

Was on a celebrity cruise last month, was asked by the waiter for tens on the survey.

even told that tens for the food quality was also required as anything less than ten for both reflects bad on the wait staff.

That's sad.

I was asked for a 10 rating two weeks ago on Oasis from the MDR waiter on the last night. I noted it in the survey and bubbled in the appropriate staff that asked. This was after I tipped her extra on the last night. If she gets in trouble, its their fault not mine.

Emotional blackmail that probably works and most of the time not needed when they give excellent service anyway but maybe a lot of new cruisers think 8 or 9 is sufficient when the survey's seem to demand 10 only.

Not necessarily.

But in this case not needed as the service was very good.

Many people have said many times that these surveys are flawed. May as well have just two scores...

I was asked for a 10 rating two weeks ago on Oasis from the MDR waiter on the last night. I noted it in the survey and bubbled in the appropriate staff that asked. This was after I tipped her extra on the last night. If she gets in trouble, its their fault not mine.

Our nexrt RCI cruise is in two weeks.

I don't think I would 'bubble in' the appropriate staff.

If we get asked to provide tens on the survey (again) I will point out to the waiter that the survey now asks if staff ask for tens.

I will then question the real reason why he/she is asking for ten and are they aware of this new question.

Edited by icsys

Not necessarily.

But in this case not needed as the service was very good.

Many people have said many times that these surveys are flawed. May as well have just two scores...

Our nexrt RCI cruise is in two weeks.

I don't think I would 'bubble in' the appropriate staff.

If we get asked to provide tens on the survey (again) I will point out to the waiter that the survey now asks if staff ask for tens.

I will then question the real reason why he/she is asking for ten and are they aware of this new question.

Please let us know the response.

On both RCCL and DCL, I've had good luck with very politely telling my wait staff - including the head server assuming I see him/her - that I'm very easy-going with food service, and unless I specifically point something out, all is great and there is no need to ask if things are "excellent" or whatever the term of the moment is. If there is something wrong, I'll let them know, otherwise, assume that all is great, and we'll get along fine. I don't threaten to withhold tips as that is just rude iMHO.

So far I've gotten lucky and it has worked.

(It is important that the head server hears this as well though, because they will reprimand/counsel (term depends on the cruise line) staff they don't hear giving the speech. But I've not had one set of servers have to give it to me after we've talked the first night.)

I guess my biggest issue with this is all of the lines have cut staff and so the service is not as good as it used to be.

If I gave a 10 when their was bar service in the MDR and now the assistant is not around as much because he’s hustling drinks, the service is not as good. It’s not the assistants fault, but I want the line to know that I noticed the difference.

It used to be the waiter presented you meal and the assistant was on his heals with sour cream for your potato or grated cheese for your pasta or dressing for your salad, the water glasses were always full.

The assistants can’t provide that level of service now - and it really may not be THAT long from the time my food is placed in front of me till the assistant arrives with what I need to start eating, but during that time, I’m irked.

They say give a 10 but put your concerns in the comments section. I don’t think it’s likely they read the comments on 10s. So I give a score that indicates the service is not as good as it was and explain in the comments that the crew did as much as they could and are not responsible for the low score.

If that still impacts the server, I’m sorry, but that’s the lines fault not mine, and every one has crappy parts of their job.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ha it's funny I found this thread. Just returned from Anthem cruise Saturday and filled out the questionnaire and when I got to this question I was very confused. The way it's worded it sure looks like they are hunting for those who do ask. I didn't know what to do at first and then reread it and like I said the way it's worded it sure seems like a hunt for those who might have. I was not going to say yes to that the way it's worded and I am NOT indentifying who asked. That is not cool to put on the passenger in my opinion. Anyway I was quite surprised to see that question, I mean very, very surprised.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I guess my biggest issue with this is all of the lines have cut staff and so the service is not as good as it used to be.

If I gave a 10 when their was bar service in the MDR and now the assistant is not around as much because he’s hustling drinks, the service is not as good. It’s not the assistants fault, but I want the line to know that I noticed the difference.

It used to be the waiter presented you meal and the assistant was on his heals with sour cream for your potato or grated cheese for your pasta or dressing for your salad, the water glasses were always full.

The assistants can’t provide that level of service now - and it really may not be THAT long from the time my food is placed in front of me till the assistant arrives with what I need to start eating, but during that time, I’m irked.

They say give a 10 but put your concerns in the comments section. I don’t think it’s likely they read the comments on 10s. So I give a score that indicates the service is not as good as it was and explain in the comments that the crew did as much as they could and are not responsible for the low score.

If that still impacts the server, I’m sorry, but that’s the lines fault not mine, and every one has crappy parts of their job.

You have made a lot of sensible comments.

Service level are definitely lower now along with less crew and where previously i always gave a 10 to help the crew i will in future mark and comment accordingly.

Ha it's funny I found this thread. Just returned from Anthem cruise Saturday and filled out the questionnaire and when I got to this question I was very confused. The way it's worded it sure looks like they are hunting for those who do ask. I didn't know what to do at first and then reread it and like I said the way it's worded it sure seems like a hunt for those who might have. I was not going to say yes to that the way it's worded and I am NOT indentifying who asked. That is not cool to put on the passenger in my opinion. Anyway I was quite surprised to see that question, I mean very, very surprised.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I agree,in future if anyone asks for a 10 i will advise them what is asked on the cruise survey and see what their reaction is.

Service level are definitely lower now along with less crew and where previously i always gave a 10 to help the crew i will in future mark and comment accordingly.

The irony is that, in the long run, we may not be helping the crew with 10s. They can complain that they have too much to do and can’t do their jobs as well as they used to, but then boss man will point to the scores and say “the customers don’t care so keep up the good work, and would you mind if we gave your assistant an extra table.”

Why don't you miss the survey if you don't give him a 10. You don't do him any good and he is at best in no-man land.

Why don't you miss the survey if you don't give him a 10. You don't do him any good and he is at best in no-man land.

I always compliment certain crew members on the survey and have always given all 10s but every cruise the service gets slightly worse because there are less crew and maybe it is time to rethink scores.

The irony is that, in the long run, we may not be helping the crew with 10s. They can complain that they have too much to do and can’t do their jobs as well as they used to, but then boss man will point to the scores and say “the customers don’t care so keep up the good work, and would you mind if we gave your assistant an extra table.”

Two pretty good posts!

Great post. Think of it..... RCI wants the staff to ask for 10's. If the staff doesn't get them they are penalized. If they do get them RCI then turns around and work them harder. Brilliant.

Just to play Devil's Advocate -

What if everyone on a cruise ship consistently gave 1's on all the post cruise surveys?

What would happen then?

-Sean

RCI would fire the staff and you'd be making your own bed and cooking your own dinner.;)

Spot on!

Something has to give here..... constantly giving 10s when the service is clearly being stretched is not helping anyone.

Just been on a Celebrity cruise (Infinity) and the Sommelier / bar waiter was on hand and quick to provide the bar drinks. Waiter and assistant were on hand to serve the food.

On at least the last two RCI cruises... no bar waiter to be found, as you correctly say, the assistant had to go fetch them.

Spot on!

Something has to give here..... constantly giving 10s when the service is clearly being stretched is not helping anyone.

Just been on a Celebrity cruise (Infinity) and the Sommelier / bar waiter was on hand and quick to provide the bar drinks. Waiter and assistant were on hand to serve the food.

On at least the last two RCI cruises... no bar waiter to be found, as you correctly say, the assistant had to go fetch them.

I have just read a P&O UK thread relating to the ship Ventura where the poster had met this particular cabin steward on a couple of cruises and he said the cabin steward showed him a list off the previous cruise which showed who had paid autogratuities and what marks they gave on the survey.

Furthermore the steward said if they don't get a certain percentage of excellent scores they don't get the bonus(passenger tips) even if his passengers had paid their autogratuities.

There needs to be an official investigation into why staff is not being given the tips passengers have paid for and intended them to have. That is robbery, clear and simple. How is that allowed??? And where is that money? When I load the tip amount onto our account, I expect it to go to the people for whom it was intended. I will now hand the people cash in an envelope, which is a pain in the neck, but at least I know my hard earned money is going to hard working people and not to the cruiselines's coffers.

I think with what RCL is doing to their crew we need to play RCL at their own game. The crew need the 10 score like their life depends on it. Any other way you do it may actually hurt the crew. Comments whatever you say is difficult for RCL to actually evaluate it. A 10 score or anything else is what will stick in their mind.

So it is a 10 score or nothing if you want to help the crew.

Any monster tips you give will end up in RCL pocket and help them perpetuate their system.

I think with what RCL is doing to their crew we need to play RCL at their own game. The crew need the 10 score like their life depends on it. Any other way you do it may actually hurt the crew. Comments whatever you say is difficult for RCL to actually evaluate it. A 10 score or anything else is what will stick in their mind.

So it is a 10 score or nothing if you want to help the crew.

Any monster tips you give will end up in RCL pocket and help them perpetuate their system.

They will get their money for sure if you hand it to them in cash.