Difference in price for solo traveler?

We are traveling with our two grown children and our daughter's new husband. In the past our children shared a room. For our son now we would either need him to have a room alone, or share it with us? Is there different pricing for a solo traveler, or do you pay double for a single room? Also, has anyone ever shared a balcony room with one grown child, if so, was it just way to crowded with the couch made up as a bed? Thanks!

We are traveling with our two grown children and our daughter's new husband. In the past our children shared a room. For our son now we ould either need him to have a room alone, or share it with us? Is there different pricing for a solo traveler, or do you pay double for a single room? Also, has anyone ever shared a balcony room with one grown child, if so, was it just way to crowded with the couch made up as a bed? Thanks!

Rarely/occasionally you will find a single supplement of <200% of a normal charge. Of course, taxes and gratuities are always charged for one person only for a solo traveler. There are also certain rooms that are designed for a solo traveler and are priced accordingly.

I nearly always travel solo and normally pay 200% of whatever fare is showing as the double occupancy fare. However, only pay taxes and port fee for myself. And I am only charged gratuities for myself.

Some ships have studio rooms but those sell out pretty fast and are hard to come by. Even with them though - the fare for the studio is often very close to paying the 200% for a double room.

I sail solo and usually end up paying the single supplement as others have pointed out.

Many people share cabins with grown children/adult friends. It really depends on your comfort level! Definitely very tight quarters, one bathroom, storage space, etc., but possible.

Also the sofa beds are not all that great; Pullman bed is definitely more comfortable. It is possible use the showers at the workout center if that would help. Our son shared a cabin with us when he was in college and had a Pullman. He also frequently showered after a workout, which helped.

A junior suite would give you a little more room than a standard balcony.

Single usually pays 200% of fare of one person.

I've stayed in rooms with 4 people packed into an inside room. It's tight, but doable if you all know what you're getting into ahead of time.

Another option might be if your son found a friend to split the fare with. I know it's a family trip, but if you have other extended family members or close family friends, it might work out.

We are traveling with our two grown children and our daughter's new husband. In the past our children shared a room. For our son now we would either need him to have a room alone, or share it with us? Is there different pricing for a solo traveler, or do you pay double for a single room? Also, has anyone ever shared a balcony room with one grown child, if so, was it just way to crowded with the couch made up as a bed? Thanks!

Rooms are priced at double occupancy except those which are specifically labeled as studios (only on the newest ships). My suggestion would be to allow your son to invite a friend. The price difference is almost nothing (in a few cases it has actually been cheaper to add a second cruiser to a room). I'll generally invite a friend to come on the ship and just tell them to pay airfare.

I nearly always travel solo and normally pay 200% of whatever fare is showing as the double occupancy fare. However, only pay taxes and port fee for myself. And I am only charged gratuities for myself.

Some ships have studio rooms but those sell out pretty fast and are hard to come by. Even with them though - the fare for the studio is often very close to paying the 200% for a double room.

I've noticed this as well and don't understand it. What's the purpose of having studio rooms if they are nearly the same - sometimes even more - than a double room?

Have you considered a family oceanview stateroom. A bit larger with separate sleeping area. Royal might not want to give it to you for only 3 people though.

Also, booked dd in a studio balcony gty on Anthem back in June. Her pp fare was less than mine in d8. They ended up assigning her a DO on deck 6 with extended balcony. Great cabin for one at a great price.

Yes you typically pay 200% as stated above. I travel solo most of the time and it's usually double, although sometimes there's a solo promotion and it's less than that.

Re: sharing a room - I shared with my parents when I was in my mid-20's. It was one of the larger balcony staterooms (about 220 square feet). There was enough room to maneuver around the pull-out couch when it was open, but I have to admit... I was miserable sleeping on it! It was very hard and I kept waking up with a numb arm from lying on my shoulder.

Fast forward several years and several cruises (mostly solo) - I am cruising with my parents in a few weeks and booked my own room! I could have shared with them again, but it's not worth the sacrifices in comfort for me. In fact, my aunt booked the same cruise to come along and we're even staying in separate balcony rooms! :) The cruise was relatively inexpensive, but still - not willing to sacrifice my comfort on vacation at this age anymore!

Having said that, your son might be totally fine sharing a room!

Whatever you decide, have a great time! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just shared a JS with our adult son on the Grandeur last month. It worked out OK. Not sure how it would have been in just a regular balcony cabin. He had the sofa bed, which wasn't all that comfortable. He ended up taking the mattress out on the balcony a couple nights. We all got double points too! Nice added benefit for a JS.

Gwen [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Then you need to call C&A because it was a mistake. Happens sometimes. Just call and they will look up your reservation and correct the issue.

Thx, I'll do that, it was my first RCI cruise (and my previous cruise experiences were 15+ years ago) so it's all new to me & I just assumed they gave me the right # of points!

I have never paid 200% for any cruise. Most of my cruises are 150%-175%.

An example is my 5 night Anthem cruise May 6th. A D7 balcony including taxes and fees for 2 is $2131. For 1 in the same cabin is $1506. Far less than 200% Even considering $184 less for 1 person port fees. If you figure the cost without fees and taxes it about $440 less for the cabin for 1 person.

Edited by gaylemh

My BIL (who is very cheap), opted to book his own solo room instead of staying with my in laws. He was very glad he did- even though they had a balcony room, he said it would have felt too crowded. I think he was 25 at the time. I know he had to pay a supplement, but I'm not sure how much. I'm pretty sure it was at least a little less than 200% total.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I was looking at booking a cabin for my MIL on the Navigator this summer. A solo cruiser price was £3,000, a room for two people was just under £2,500!

Did you follow the reservation all the way though? The prices that first show up are not always the final price with discounts.

Thank you all for the information. I am curious about which rooms typically have a Pullman bed? Thanks!

Look at the deck plans on Royal's website. The legend at the bottom of the page shows which symbols denote staterooms with one or more pullmans.