Check your Credit Card AFTER you leave ship

Morgsmom

I'm SO glad that I read a warning on the boards... I departed the Equinox on Monday and there was a balance which I agreed with. Then I checked my pending charges on my credit card the next day; still good.

So I go online to check a different transaction (bec I have a kid in college linked to my account and she tends to be a bit spendy...) anyhow, the X charge MAGICALLY went up by $9.38.

So I called the Captain's Club and was told there was a post adjustment from the mini bar for a $7.95 + grat charge. NOPE!!!! As a matter of fact, we asked our attendant to LOCK our mini bar on the last night and verify all was good. We did not take a single thing.

Apparently this is becoming an issue. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I assume that the charge is being reversed.

I chalk this up to human error, which we are all guilty of occasionally. With approx 1,000 cabins if the people checking and initiating the charge have an accuracy rate accurate of 99.5% there would be 5 erroneous charges. From what I have read on CC the charge gets reversed.

New Policy? Oh how cynical.

More likely it's a result of employees being rushed and making a mistake. They are under pressure to get the rooms cleaned out from the previous occupants, get everything re-stocked, move the beds as needed, scrub the bathrooms, and have it all done so the next passengers can hurry in. Mistakes happen.

We could give them another hour to do those jobs, and your room might not be ready until 2 or 2:30, and fewer mistakes would creep in. I don't think most people would be happy with that. So the occasional error is made. And later fixed.

I'm SO glad that I read a warning on the boards... I departed the Equinox on Monday and there was a balance which I agreed with. Then I checked my pending charges on my credit card the next day; still good.

So I go online to check a different transaction (bec I have a kid in college linked to my account and she tends to be a bit spendy...) anyhow, the X charge MAGICALLY went up by $9.38.

So I called the Captain's Club and was told there was a post adjustment from the mini bar for a $7.95 + grat charge. NOPE!!!! As a matter of fact, we asked our attendant to LOCK our mini bar on the last night and verify all was good. We did not take a single thing.

Not "becoming" an issue. It has been an issue for years.

That is why we now always have our minibar emptied and all the items removed on the first day of the cruise.

We make sure to mention to the stateroom attendant that we want it done to avoid any minibar charges because we have had a problem with invalid minibar charges on previous cruises.

The stateroom attendant then assures us that we have nothing to worry about and that we will not incur any minibar charges.

Since we started doing that, it has not happened again.

Coincidence? We don't know.

But all you need to do is call Celebrity to report the overcharge and they refund the amount immediately without further question.

Apparently they are very accustomed to receiving such calls.

New Policy? Oh how cynical.

I'll be the first to admit that mistakes happen, truth to be told I've made lots myself.

Having said that I haven't been on a Celebrity cruise in the last 5 years where the mini fridge hasn't been locked while we have been at dinner the night before the cruise ends, and anything we have in it has been put on the vanity.

Pretty difficult to blame the error on the "turn around morning rush".

We were on RCL Rhapsody last October. Mini Bar was empty when we embarked. Stateroom attendant told us it was the new policy, and if we wanted anything, he would stock those items for us.

They need to do the same for Celebrity instead of coming on board and immediately asking the stateroom attendant to empty it. It's got to be a pain in the butt for them.

I had the same type of overcharge happen to me at a hotel just last week. The stateroom attendant may not even be the one entering the charges, which explains why it being restocked and locked on the last night doesn't matter. Could be (probably is) as simple as someone mis-keying a room number when entering in the charges.

Some people seem to take it so personally. If they were jerks about reversing the charges, I would be more sympathetic, but sometimes you do have to point out billing errors. And you should always review all of your expenses as a matter of course.

Edited by bEwAbG

The more people the have their mini bars empty the more work for the staff to get the cabin ready for the next cruise.

That is why they should give all passengers the option of specifying in advance whether they want their mini bars stocked or empty, as they already do for suite passengers.

But it should not require a special concierge.

They could put the option right on the reservations, the same as they already do for our choice of dining time, or for beds together or apart.

They could put the option right on the reservations, the same as they already do for our choice of dining time, or for beds together or apart.

How do you request for the beds to be apart? Not an option online that i can see, do you have to phone up?

How do you request for the beds to be apart? Not an option online that i can see, do you have to phone up?

They used to do that and it was on the reservation....not any more. The last few cruises i have taken on Celebrity they separated the beds after we got there. I don't know why they changed it.

Linda

It is right on our reservation, under Manage Reservation,

then scrolling down beneath My Cruise Summary where it lists the options for:

Stateroom :

You booked #xxxx stateroom on xxxx deck . Edit View

Dining Preferences :

You have selected Celebrity Select Dining. Edit

With Select Dining, you can dine with friends at any hour you like.

Family and Friends :

No travelers linked with the reservation. Edit

Under Stateroom, I click the Edit View link,

then scroll down below Change Stateroom to where it says Bed Arrangement.

Under Bed Arrangement is where it lists the options:

Select the bed arrangement you'd like for your stateroom:

• Apart/Both Apart
  • One Set Together
  • Together/Both Together
  • Unknown

These options are available for cruises that we book ourselves online.

When a TA or cruise line rep books a cruise for us, we lose access to a lot of the options in our reservation and can no longer make many of the changes ourselves. Instead, we then must contact the TA or rep to make the changes for us.

Even if we book the cruise ourselves originally and then transfer it to a TA, as soon as we transfer it we lose access to a lot of the options.

An additional example is that we can then no longer make any payments ourselves but must have the TA make them for us.

Also, the available options may be different for different countries. (I am using Celebrity's US website.)

Edited by varoo

I had the same issue when I left the TA Equinox last November.

I had a late afternoon flight out of Ft Lauderdale so my departure from the ship was one of the last groups. Sitting in one lounges waiting I decided, just to kill time, to go to Guest Relations to get my final bill. Found a mini bar charge. I immediately disputed this with Guest Relations staff member and he immediately removed the charge with a credit to my credit card.

On all my Celebrity cruises which now amount to 20+, that's the first time that ever happened.

Not cynical or forgetful here, I also do not believe it is human error!

I have had this happen on different lines.

I wonder how many times they get away with it?

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Not cynical or forgetful here, I also do not believe it is human error!

I have had this happen on different lines.

I wonder how many times they get away with it?

Reader

What are you offering for a reasonable explanation than human error?

Someone stole an item?

Or someone just said "let's occasional charge unsuspected guests for a mini bar item because they will no notice"?

I do believe Celebrity could improve the process by leaving a form in the cabin every time they make a mini bar charge.

You booked #xxxx stateroom on xxxx deck . Edit View

Has always just said "view" for me. My Celebrity (where reservations are managed rtc.) is a .com address for all and i booked directly online so not sure why UK users would get less options (had to phone to pre-pay grats).

Of course now the online check-in link no longer works (thankfully i filled it in a few weeks ago) so may have to ring up in any case and ask that they print it out for me.

On my most recent Eclipse sailing, both of us had the beverage package. I saw a charge on my account (viewed from the TV) of some $8 from the Sky Lounge. I went to Guest Relations and as I would not have been charged for any drink at that price point (drink + gratuity) the attendant took it off and actually said that the wrong stateroom number must have been rung up. As I knew I had not been in the Sky Lounge at the time of the transaction, this would not have been the case of a server mixing up the cards. Perhaps some of these mini-bar charges are the same mistake?

Also, I have seen charges that I know aren't valid from X after disembarking, but they are under "Pending" and always disappear in a few days....

"Or someone just said "let's occasional charge unsuspected guests for a mini bar item because they will not notice"?"

That is my thinking ...

Also don't think it is occasional...watch your CC when you disembark!

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

On a recent Harmony cruise (Dec 2016) we had an extra charge that showed up after we returned home. It was supposed to be a minibar charge from our fridge that was EMPTY all week. I of course called and was told that it could have been from the guests from the previous week and was I SURE that no one consumed anything. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Yeah. Sure. This was the second occurrence on the same ship.

On a recent Harmony cruise (Dec 2016) we had an extra charge that showed up after we returned home. It was supposed to be a minibar charge from our fridge that was EMPTY all week. I of course called and was told that it could have been from the guests from the previous week and was I SURE that no one consumed anything. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Yeah. Sure. This was the second occurrence on the same ship.

You know the old saying "throw it at the wall and see what sticks"!

I believe that is what the cruise lines are doing.

Each and every time I call to dispute a charge they remove it right away without question.

Why is that? Because they think I am so honest!! I doubt it!:rolleyes:

I do not care if I just spent thousands on a cruise, but charge me for a coke I did not consume.....look out ! lol

Edited by Reader0108598