Dress code inconsistency

thon

Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but WonderMan3 has started a thread on his current cruise and has posted a copy of the first day's daily. The dress code is clearly indicated there and is NOT the same as what is on Celebrity's website in relation to evening chic - for men it is much more restrictive. I didn't want to put this on WonderMan3 thread so as to not take away from his narrative. I wonder if things are starting to slip back to the old dress code, or am I missing something?

Sorry, I should have written exactly what it said to make it easier for people to see what I was talking about. For evening chic it says:

Ladies: cocktail dress, gown or pantsuit

Gentlemen: tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

I assume you are referring to this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2446348 and the post #17.

While that definitely lists the old Formal Dress code, if you look as post #31 is mentions good bye formal night, hello to evening Chic. I assume the post on #17 is simply showing the old formal dress code.

We were on the Shilouette in August and it was definitely Evening Chic.

I recommend going to X's website for the current info on 'styles' acceptable for Chic Night....

What is in-consistent about the dress code is, how fellow passengers choose to 'interpret' X's guidelines...

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

If whoever on the ship changes or misprints what the suggested dress guidelines are for the evening in the MDR for a sailing... oh well too bad because we pack according to Celebrity's website not when we are on board the ship. Little to late at that time. On our 14 night April 2016 Caribbean Eclipse Cruise it was evening chic not formal.

Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but WonderMan3 has started a thread on his current cruise and has posted a copy of the first day's daily. The dress code is clearly indicated there and is NOT the same as what is on Celebrity's website in relation to evening chic - for men it is much more restrictive. I didn't want to put this on WonderMan3 thread so as to not take away from his narrative. I wonder if things are starting to slip back to the old dress code, or am I missing something?

They might get our business back if X comes to their senses and re-establishes this important cruise tradition.

They might get our business back if X comes to their senses and re-establishes this important cruise tradition.

And they would probably lose a lot more business if they did. Sorry to say, but you are in the minority. Sounds like you should probably stick with Cunard and other super premium lines.

If you want to dress up, you can still dress up. But what I've never understood about the people who are saying they miss Formal Night is why it matters so much to them what other people are wearing. It's as if their cruise is ruined because the men at the table next to them aren't wearing their tuxedoes and top hats and the women aren't wearing their expensive ball gowns.

Seems like advocates of Formal Night are practically demanding that there is a worldwide travel back in time to the Golden Age of Cruising, when cruising was an elegant means of transatlantic transportation. Gentlemen would gather in the first class smoking lounge to smoke cigars and discuss politics while ladies met in their own lounge to talk about society gossip while fanning themselves with elegant embroidered French fans.

I don't think it's going to happen again on any of the mass market lines. Sorry.

I agree with blackwing's assessment that formal dining was something special for transatlantic or transpacific cruising with no port days.

This wasn't so much recreational cruising, but transportation. People traveled with trunks full of clothing, the ships sometimes were stranded at sea (need extra clothing) and high class women would travel to Paris to buy elegant dresses. I can see that with likely no laundry facilities on board, people would go through their trunk clothing over a 2 week period. Women were probably excited to wear their new fashions from Paris.

Now with all of the port intensive cruises, there is no sense in formal dress for dinner. We cruise on carnival because of the departure port (disclosure). We attend many formal nights in our land life, so we cruise to get away from formal dress codes!!!!!

Edited by spleenstomper

Some one probably just missed updating the daily when making changes.

Just to get my two cents in, I loved formal nights on cruising. I miss it terribly and enjoyed seeing all the men in their tuxes and the ladies with their best dresses and jewelry. I do understand why the cruise lines have made the changes. Trying to attract younger cruisers that will some day be older cruisers and bring their children.

We are cruisers for a long time. I don't mind the chic nights at all. There are still people that will wear the tuxes and the gowns and they look amazing. To each his own. We no longer bring formal wear. We dress for dinner. Casual during the day. Have seen others go to the dining room like they just rolled out of bed, to each his own. Don't see the reason for other to be offended, we are all on vacation. Enjoy it and wear what makes you comfortable.

Very obviously a wrong entry in the daily. I certainly will not be taking a kilt to Florida as I can take so much more that I want to wear next month.

I LOVE to see a man in a Kilt.

I know it's heavy and hard to bring but just a vote here for including it. :)

Just to get my two cents in, I loved formal nights on cruising. I miss it terribly and enjoyed seeing all the men in their tuxes and the ladies with their best dresses and jewelry. I do understand why the cruise lines have made the changes. Trying to attract younger cruisers that will some day be older cruisers and bring their children.

We are cruisers for a long time. I don't mind the chic nights at all. There are still people that will wear the tuxes and the gowns and they look amazing. To each his own. We no longer bring formal wear. We dress for dinner. Casual during the day. Have seen others go to the dining room like they just rolled out of bed, to each his own. Don't see the reason for other to be offended, we are all on vacation. Enjoy it and wear what makes you comfortable.

I never understand why anyone would travel with jewelry. Its such a risk in personal safety. I never travel with jewelry aside from a 2mm plain wedding band. You are asking for trouble traveling with jewels.

The in hotel safe and in cabin safe has a default override code usually 00000 to open the safe.

Edited by spleenstomper

The dailies on Eclipse last cruise were full of errors I suspect it's the same lack of attention to detail again rather than another change in the dress code

Perhaps the same people who run their website also manage the dailies:)

I LOVE to see a man in a Kilt.

I know it's heavy and hard to bring but just a vote here for including it. :)

We agree, just as we enjoy seeing the people who dress up in tuxes and gowns.

But are we willing to pack and schlep all that stuff ourselves?

No way. :D

It looks like you share our policy: Let others pack it, bring it and wear it. We will enjoy looking at it.

Many of us who do not dress that way ourselves even make it a point to compliment those who do, as a way of encouraging them to continue doing it. ;)

It is similar to the way that we compliment the entertainers after a show. We enjoy watching them, but have no wish to do what they do ourselves.

Edited by fleckle

Some of ya'll are over thinking this dress code thing.:rolleyes: If you feel like it dress up if you don't, don't. In the mean time, I will be sportin ma kilt and gettin ma groove on!:D

kilt.jpg.ef0d43393e0686c16d13d6be0b17294b.jpg

I chuckle at all the discussion...and yet here I go joining in. I laughed when I read "designer jeans". I can't believe no one has mentioned that the big thing in expensive "designer" jeans lately is the shredded, torn, ripped up look. So...is it no ripped or torn jeans or "designer"? Sort of an oxymoron today! Whatever. Wear what makes you happy and fits in as best you can to the guidelines and let others do the same.:);):rolleyes: