Taking a break from Celebrity after our Eclipse cruise

uktog

Hi there, I was wondering if you could elaborate on the cooking school and chef's tour excursions? Which ports? How were they, and would you recommend them? We live in Florida, so the beach thing is not "our" thing, and we are foodies at heart. Love to cook and explore new cuisines.

Thanks so much for your time:)

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca, I did that Cook's Like A Lucian excursion too...its been a couple

of years but I do remember it was awesome:D and I would definitely

recommend it.

As the OP I would like to clarify the drink that the gentleman refused to make was a Singapore Sling, my request was made at the Passport Bar where the said drink is on the menu. So I did ask for something that should have been made for me.

I'm sorry. You are correct; I should not have said the OP said that. It was TFLG in post #24 who said they could not get the bartender at the World Class Bar to make a drink that wasn't on that bar's menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm sorry. You are correct; I should not have said the OP said that. It was TFLG in post #24 who said they could not get the bartender at the World Class Bar to make a drink that wasn't on that bar's menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

No problem understand.

We actually saw no guests at the World Class Bar all cruise - we did not go for the very reason you posted about - DH would have needed his drink from another bar. There are also not many comfortable places to sit there either unless you are a bar stool "percher". Given the encroachment of the Art people and the shop "touts" in the near area I also would have worried someone might have wanted to "engage in a little conversation I did not want"!

I haven't read every post in this thread and frankly only my third Celebrity cruise is coming up, so this is a humble guess.

When I watch cruise prices with offers like PICK 4 or whatever freebies are given, it seems like there is just too much demand for service because so many people are on a free beverage package. To me this would be a clue to water down the drinks, or try anything to limit consumption. On my Silhouette trip (clueless me) you couldn't even get near the bar at cocktail hour: it was three deep in rather dodgy drinkers. So I never got a chance to get a drink! Our cabin was right by the Internet cafe, which had lines down the hall because of the free internet (marketing scheme).

So is Celebrity wise enough to quality control/limit numbers on these freebies?

Discussion very welcome.

Susan

Although I agree that there are places on the ship where there is insufficient staff, we didn't find that to be the case in most places. At least on our cruise.

We never found it hard to get a drink at the martini bar, even when it was crowded. True there were no servers there when we were and you had to walk up to the bar. The ensemble lounge we were helped almost immediately by a server. World Class Bar was usually uncrowded. Caffe Al Baccio never had longer then few minute wait. Sunset Bar no problems either.

The two places I noticed it was the main dining room and the theatre. The two places you can't go get it yourself. I learned to get a drink at the martini bar on my way into dinner instead.

Edited by CruisinNewb

I am not questioning OP feelings about service on the cruise although we were on Eclipse in December and had lovely service all around. I do not question the OP's right to take their dollar elsewhere if OP is unhappy. What I don't get is why the public declaration? If it is to tell X of their intentions, why not write a letter directly? Is it to influence others not to sail? Pardon, but I just don't get it. In our experience over the last 20 years the cruise experience has changed across all cruise lines with the increasing popularity of cruising and the newer, larger ships. That being said, we still love cruising.

Edited by Luvcrusn

We were also on a 14 day Eclipse cruise right after Thanksgiving. I am also disappointed in the decline I am seeing since we started sailing Celebrity in 2008. No brunch buffet, no late night dessert buffet, no ice carvings. We had a meal at Tuscan....discounted to $35 per person....waiter was almost absent after taking our order. Filet was still good, but Ceasar salad was no longer prepared table side and the dressing was watery and weak. We were fortunate to have an incredible wait team in the MDR, food was great some days and so-so others.

Just off an inexpensive quick Carnival Fantasy cruise....there were ONLY top shelf liquors that I could see.....whereas with our Classic drink package on Celebrity they were using cheap liquors if you didn't keep an eye on the bartenders.

We will be sailing our first Azamara cruise on the Quest in April and are hoping for the Celebrity experience of 10 years ago, or better.

No brunch buffet, no late night dessert buffet, no ice carvings.

I know those things were nice to have, but given that my own observations that people were keener to gawk at and photograph the spreads instead of consuming them, it was wasteful.

I know those things were nice to have, but given that my own observations that people were keener to gawk at and photograph the spreads instead of consuming them, it was wasteful.

My observations were the same. I, myself, was guilty of just gawking, maybe having a bite or two. Very wasteful, unless hopefully the crew were able to enjoy it.

My observations were the same. I' date=' myself, was guilty of just gawking, maybe having a bite or two. Very wasteful, unless hopefully the crew were able to enjoy it.[/quote']

That is what we typically would do if we even showed up. Last one I remember was on the pool deck at night and not well attended.

It is tough, at times, for cruise lines to maintain events/things that are not being utilized as much as needed to justify doing.

Did you raise your concerns with the maître d'? If so what was the outcome?

Our experience of Tuscan service was very different.

I have to take this back. We went to TG last night and our party of six were all disappointed.

The crab cake starter should be renamed 'vaguely crab flavored potato cake'.

My fillet mignon which I ordered rare was overcooked and two other steaks we ordered were also not served at the correct cooking point.

Two wines we ordered were out of stock and we were kept waiting far more than we were used too. The sommelier didn't ask if we wanted to change wines after courses or even offer desert wines either. We fed back and it appears that we have not been charged from what I can see.

At the end of the meal the waiter stated that we should score him 9 out of ten or even 10 out of 10 for service on our feedback survey! :D

Our meal was excellent the last time we ate there so it goes to show how hit and miss things can be!

I have to take this back. We went to TG last night and our party of six were all disappointed.

The crab cake starter should be renamed 'vaguely crab flavored potato cake'.

My fillet mignon which I ordered rare was overcooked and two other steaks we ordered were also not served at the correct cooking point.

Two wines we ordered were out of stock and we were kept waiting far more than we were used too. The sommelier didn't ask if we wanted to change wines after courses or even offer desert wines either. We fed back and it appears that we have not been charged from what I can see.

At the end of the meal the waiter stated that we should score him 9 out of ten or even 10 out of 10 for service on our feedback survey! :D

Our meal was excellent the last time we ate there so it goes to show how hit and miss things can be!

Was this on the same cruise?

?........What I don't get is why the public declaration? If it is to tell X if their intentions, why not write a letter directly? Is it to influence others not to sail? Pardon, but I just don't get it......

Could it be because this is Cruise "Critic"?

Could it be because this is Cruise "Critic"?

I got he critic part, just not the declaration part. Your perception is yours, everyone sees things through their own eyes. I was just trying to suggest that a letter to X might be more productive saying never again than saying it to fellow cruisers. It is certainly your choice how you express your opinion. Didn't mean to offend. Sorry if I did.

I like cruises, but I would definitely get bored if that was my main way to vacation. Try some land vacations to mix things up. There are a lot of great experiences - fresh and exciting-that you can't do via a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I so agree about mixing it up. We flew to Venice and rented a car; drove to the Dolomites for a wonderful time! The scenery was breathtaking. Then on to La Spezia to drop off our car and train to Cinque Terre for several days....we love it there. After that we trained to Civi and boarded Celebrity for a Med cruise to Barcelona in a suite for an upsell of 150 pp. We loved every minute of every day, ending up in Barcelona for three days and flying home. It was the perfect vacation.

My DH and I do not sail the Caribbean anymore and prefer European travel for its beauty and educational benefits. I have yet to have a really poor experience on Celebrity, but maybe since my DH and I are in another suite in April on the Reflection TA, it will also be a great cruise. I guess the saying is "How suite it is." At least That is what I am thinking. We are sending some time in Rome post cruise, as we love Rome and our little boutique hotel next to the Pantheon.

Reading some of these posts make me think about the negative experiences that some encounter, but the culture and experiences of Europe are abundant. There is more to life than beautiful beaches and alcohol...IMHO...That is just me and my DH, though we have done our share.....

I need to add that our society has been declining is customer service and schools are overrun with with young people who have no idea about manners and etiquette, as they are not taught that anymore by many parents or others. So the decline of service is the decline in what is valued in any particular culture. It is sad to have high expectations with interactions only to be disappointed that value systems are different with certain cruise lines too. The only constant is change...

We were also on a 14 day Eclipse cruise right after Thanksgiving. I am also disappointed in the decline I am seeing since we started sailing Celebrity in 2008. No brunch buffet, no late night dessert buffet, no ice carvings.

Just off an inexpensive quick Carnival Fantasy cruise....there were ONLY top shelf liquors that I could see.....whereas with our Classic drink package on Celebrity they were using cheap liquors if you didn't keep an eye on the bartenders.

We will be sailing our first Azamara cruise on the Quest in April and are hoping for the Celebrity experience of 10 years ago, or better.

Things have been cut on all mainstream lines. Ice carvings and late night buffets have been gone a long time.

If you look at the liquor list for a classic package, I wouldn't call it cheap.:o We were on the Eclipse just two weeks ago.

Azamara might give you more of what you like. We have enjoyed one there as well as Oceania, but came back to X. You can decide if the price paid is a good value for you.

There's a line that fits most people's budgets and preferences.

We were on the Eclipse just before the holidays and agree 100% about the bar staff. We ran into many of the same problems you had. Bartenders that would not make us drinks we wanted, long waits, and generally unfriendly bar staff. We've never run into this on any other cruise on Celebrity or any other brand. Seems to be just this ship. We found the onboard entertainment pretty weak too, not to our taste at all. Other than that we had a pretty good cruise. No complaints about the food or any of the other staff. I'm not put off of celebrity, but I'm sure not going on the Eclipse again.

I love celebrity but have noticed a decline in bar service as well. I think so many people get the unlimited drink package as one of their Perks that perhaps they deliberately slow things down to save money. We don't drink a lot, but enjoy the drink package so we are not nickeled and dimed.I also enjoy the premium waters they offer.

We sailed on the Eclipse also just b4 Christmas and had exactly the opposite experience. We had excellent service everywhere we went. No waits for drinks! No service problems. Loved the staff. This also was far from our first rodeo!

We are "elite plus" with over 20 cruises on Celebrity but we saw the changes coming in 2014 and haven't been back. We have switched to Crystal and couldn't be happier. On a per day cost Crystal is often the same price or less than both Celebrity and. Princess. I know this isn't always the case but if you are selective it is true.

We do have a cruise on Solstice in 2018, so we are revisiting Celebrity (Aqua class) and would only do this cruise because of Blu.

Oceania is also an option with great food.

We sailed on the Eclipse also just b4 Christmas and had exactly the opposite experience. We had excellent service everywhere we went. No waits for drinks! No service problems. Loved the staff. This also was far from our first rodeo!

I believe we were on the same cruise in December. Our experience was the same, excellent service everywhere. And lots of previous cruises to compare with.

We are Elite plus with 25 cruises on X. We also were not impressed with the menu in Luminae. With the prices for AQ and Suites on X we decided to try other lines again. Our 2 this year on Oceania Riviera were fabulous. All 4 spec. dining free. Our next cruise we are going back to Crystal as it`s been over 10 yrs. since we sailed with them. X is doing something right as their suites are always booked and people are willing to pay the price. For those prices I don`t want to sail with 2800 pax. I will still sail with X but not as often. Will depend on the price.

Since our first cruise with Celebrity 5 years ago, we have also noticed a significant change. The food quality is better; the incentives are amazing and wasteful excesses that result in tons of food uneaten and discarded, silly towel animals, ice sculptures and many other things that bring minimum value to a only handful of people are gone.

What’s left is a competitive and still affordable price for a very pleasurable vacation experience with top notch, committed staff that are there to make your trip a very special experience.

We tried a few cruise lines that just didn’t work for us; instead of investing our time complaining on websites and trying to convince people how awful and “lost” some cruise line was, we simply gravitated to something we liked much better.

Since our first cruise with Celebrity 5 years ago, we have also noticed a significant change. The food quality is better; the incentives are amazing and wasteful excesses that result in tons of food uneaten and discarded, silly towel animals, ice sculptures and many other things that bring minimum value to a only handful of people are gone.

What’s left is a competitive and still affordable price for a very pleasurable vacation experience with top notch, committed staff that are there to make your trip a very special experience.

We tried a few cruise lines that just didn’t work for us; instead of investing our time complaining on websites and trying to convince people how awful and “lost” some cruise line was, we simply gravitated to something we liked much better.

Bravo! Well said!