Do people decorate their stateroom doors?

tinybiny

We usually put a magnet on our door--not necessarily for decoration, but just to identify our door to make it easier to spot for ourselves. Just one piece of advice: Remove your magnet on your last day.

The first time I placed a magnet I had used a magnet I really liked and then did't remove it on the last day. So my loss! (I enjoyed the comment about the tight underwear!!)

Although my cruising experience has been limited exclusively to Princess, I have not gotten the memo that creativity, friendship, and lightheartedness was not allowed when cruising.

Every Princess cruise so far, I've either done a single theme for the entire trip or change door decorations several times, depending on the holiday or port. Decorating my cabin door is fun, and makes me, fellow passengers, and the crew smile, plain and simple. The link below is to some of my past cruise door decoration examples:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49176361#post49176361

Loved your "forget the siesta, it's time to fiesta" door!

It is hard to imagine that anyone would be upset or find door decorating off-putting or juvenile, but to each their own. We have decorated for a Superbowl Cruise we were on last year and we are planning a theme for an upcoming Pacific Coastal that two other couples and we are on. Maybe a McKenzie Brother theme since we are ending up in Vancouver ;p. Or maybe not. Probably get in trouble for mounting Hockey Sticks, Ice Skates and Elsinore Beer bottles on the door.

Happy Cruising!

For our last 11 cruises I have attached my 11 inch porthole, which is mounted on a rubber covered magnet to prevent damage to the door, to the cabin door. The porthole shows three seagulls flying over water.

Then when walking down the hall way I just look for the port hole. :D

Each trip the Wife always asks if I have packed my porthole because she also just walks along until she see's it on the door.

So, far no one has taken it off the door.

BobR

Although my cruising experience has been limited exclusively to Princess, I have not gotten the memo that creativity, friendship, and lightheartedness was not allowed when cruising.

Every Princess cruise so far, I've either done a single theme for the entire trip or change door decorations several times, depending on the holiday or port. Decorating my cabin door is fun, and makes me, fellow passengers, and the crew smile, plain and simple. The link below is to some of my past cruise door decoration examples:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49176361#post49176361

Loved your "forget the siesta, it's time to fiesta" door!

It is hard to imagine that anyone would be upset or find door decorating off-putting or juvenile, but to each their own. We have decorated for a Superbowl Cruise we were on last year and we are planning a theme for an upcoming Pacific Coastal that two other couples and we are on. Maybe a McKenzie Brother theme since we are ending up in Vancouver ;p. Or maybe not. Probably get in trouble for mounting Hockey Sticks, Ice Skates and Elsinore Beer bottles on the door.

Happy Cruising!

Holy Cow! I must admit I have never seen decorations like the ones in that referenced thread. Some of those are pretty major door decorations.

Good thread! We loved decorating our door when we were on Disney, but that was many years ago and our trip to Alaska this summer will be our first cruise on Princess. We also had fun with "fish extenders" (Disney cruisers will know what those are!)... Starting to think about what we might put on our door.. keeping it simple, and Alaska oriented. My son is on the spectrum and it really helps having a picture on the door, more than just the stateroom #. It will be good for him to help plan out our design too!

I have not gotten the memo that creativity, friendship, and lightheartedness was not allowed when cruising.

Every Princess cruise so far, I've either done a single theme for the entire trip or change door decorations several times, depending on the holiday or port. Decorating my cabin door is fun, and makes me, fellow passengers, and the crew smile, plain and simple.

Hope you have fun with your upcoming Princess trip,

I agree, the more cabin doors decorated equates with a larger happy cruise environment crowd. Most decorate for holidays--Christmas, New Year's, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day and particularly Halloween. Major sporting events like the super bowl and world series really attract a lot of attention as well.

I agree, the more cabin doors decorated equates with a larger happy cruise environment crowd.

Really? You honestly believe that the number of decorated doors is a metric of the overall happiness quotient of the cruise? If that is the case then all of my cruises on Princess have been funeral processions.

For our last 11 cruises I have attached my 11 inch porthole, which is mounted on a rubber covered magnet to prevent damage to the door, to the cabin door. The porthole shows three seagulls flying over water.

Then when walking down the hall way I just look for the port hole. :D

Each trip the Wife always asks if I have packed my porthole because she also just walks along until she see's it on the door.

So, far no one has taken it off the door.

BobR

Your porthole idea has me thinking.... actually my son and I thinking. Since we are going to Alaska.. we could do a different porthole for each day. On Glacier Bay day we could a porthole with a glacier in the window. On another day (maybe the day we go Salmon fishing in Juneau?) we could have a salmon swimming in the porthole. The day we go on the Deadliest Catch tour we could have a photo of their ship in the porthole, etc (along with maybe a few days of polar bears, grizzlies, and killer whales of course!). We are doing a northbound followed by a land tour then going south bound after that... so we could get repeat use of our magnets too! I know it may seem silly to some, but it is our vacation, and we like to have FUN!

I don't think I've ever seen a decorated door on any princess cruise, apart from the usual room steward made "Happy Birthday" doors. Every princess cruise I've been on is full of happy people. There's nothing funnier than a complete stranger pointing at a door that still has the patter at 3pm and saying "Must have had a late night"

I decorate door for every cruise. My cruise critic name usually up only till a day or so after meet & greet. Also a greetings from Ohio postcard, if someone needs either they are welcome to them.

Agreed it helps me find cabin and adds to festivity.

I've been on 12 Princess cruises. I realize this is less (quite a bit less) than many of you. I am an observant individual. I have seen very few "significant" door decorations (other than the birthday/anniversary balloons placed by the crew).

It's not something I personally would ever do. I have no real issue with someone making a different choice. Although if I were ship management I might think that the "door motifs" found in the link from a previous post are beyond the bounds of reasonableness given the image and mood of all Princess cruises I've experienced.

We usually have a sheet of paper on the door with CC name, our real names, college logos. We like being able to find our door easier. I have magnetic tape that I have put on the back of the paper before we leave. Easy to pack and ready to hang up. When we were on Carnival last fall our usual plan did not work. Magnets did not stick. It made it harder to find our room because no sign and no name outside our room. If we are celebrating something our son makes a sign to hang on the door. After the cruise the sign goes in the scrapbook. We just use a sheet of paper so it does not stick out and bother anyone.

We were just on the Ruby for NYE and my birthday. Us and our friends next door decorated our cabin doors. I had a bday sign that other cruisers wrote nice words. Everyone that walked by our cabins commented on how much they loved our decorations. We did have one person say Princess was going to charge us lol On last day after we removed our decorations everyone kept telling us that was the only way they could find their cabin. It definitely helped us. Cheers :)

We often decorate our doors. Using magnets only. During Princess's 50th, we had "Celebrating 50 with Princess!" decorations. On our last cruise, we had rather elaborate Mardi Gras decorations (yes, Mardi Gras is elaborate by definition)! We got many positive remarks by other passengers.

Usually, we have a small magnetic strip that says "This is our 'happily ever after'".

No, the doors are not magnetic. They, and the stateroom walls, are steel, to which a magnet will stick.

We always have a magnetic sign for our door....it helps us to spot our cabin until we get used to where it is.

And we have done Birthday, Halloween, Hawaiian, etc decorations too!

• 10 months later...
We often decorate our doors. Using magnets only. During Princess's 50th, we had "Celebrating 50 with Princess!" decorations. On our last cruise, we had rather elaborate Mardi Gras decorations (yes, Mardi Gras is elaborate by definition)! We got many positive remarks by other passengers.

Usually, we have a small magnetic strip that says "This is our 'happily ever after'".

No, the doors are not magnetic. They, and the stateroom walls, are steel, to which a magnet will stick.

Not sure what you have done but I have decorated my door with magnates before. Be aware that some may come up missing.

Tom😎