No food for trip home?

skrapngal

Will be getting off Anthem on March 12 and boarding a bus for a 12 hour ride back to Atlantic Canada. I've packed some ziploc bags and stretch wrap thinking of picking up a wrap or a sandwich at Cafe Two270 on the eve of disembarkation to cut some costs on the way home.

Just read in one thread that it wouldn't be allowed? I know that dogs at Customs/Border patrol in Bayonne smell luggage, but do they smell your backpack?

Will be getting off Anthem on March 12 and boarding a bus for a 12 hour ride back to Atlantic Canada. I've packed some ziploc bags and stretch wrap thinking of picking up a wrap or a sandwich at Cafe Two270 on the eve of disembarkation to cut some costs on the way home.

Just read in one thread that it wouldn't be allowed? I know that dogs at Customs/Border patrol in Bayonne smell luggage, but do they smell your backpack?

The dogs will stop at whatever sets them off. If you want to take something from the ship you can take prepackaged foods such as boxed cereals, bags of chips, etc... Even if the US dogs were to miss you, if you brought unpackaged food, don't forget about the dogs that can sniff you when you get back to Canada.

You should watch the TV show Border Security and it will give you a bit of a background to what happens behind the scenes at the boarders.

even if the US dogs miss you don't forget the dogs when you get back to Canada.

We have an 8 hour drive to the border... trust me, the Canada/US border dogs won't be an issue, food will be long gone by then LOL

you might have a problem with fruit but otherwise not to worry

Maybe you should ask the bus driver to stop so people can eat..........

I was thinking the same thing. This bus makes no stops for 12 hours? Can a bus even drive that far without stopping for refueling? Does the driver not need to eat?

I was thinking the same thing. This bus makes no stops for 12 hours? Can a bus even drive that far without stopping for refueling? Does the driver not need to eat?

They would most likely change drivers as well at a depot, to where food could be purchased.

I guess the rules don't appy to you?

I always carry a few meals strapped around my belly for emergencies. With this reserve I can survive for as long as 24 hours without any external source of nourishment.

you guys need to reread my original post. The bus will make several stops, but I'm trying to cut costs a little.

I reread your original post. Where in your original post do you say the bus will make several stops? :confused:

The problem you possibly face is being referred to secondary for a thorough search of all your baggage. Depending upon the mood of the agent(s) conducting the search, it might be quite lengthy. If you have an open bus ticket, it might possibly be no more than a minor inconvenience, but if you have a reservation, you might not make it. Future visits to the US might also be more interactive.

That said, check the CBP and USDA websites to see what foods you can bring in. There's a good number that you are allowed to bring in, and if you are open about it you won't have a problem. We often drive through the US on our way to or from the Maritimes and have a cooler and picnic basket with us. Never had a problem, although we have had the cooler checked on a slow day by CBSA officers on the way back into Canada.

Better idea, If you want to save money then go by the Park Cafe and get several sandwiches. Pack them in zip lock bags and enjoy on your trip home. Worst case is if the dogs smell your yummy snacks and you have to turn them over. Best case, they don't and snack to your hearts desire.

Your issue will not be the dogs at the border. You can bring food across in Maine - just not fresh fruit/veggies. Your issue is getting it off the boat itself. You cannot take unsealed food items or fresh fruit/vegetables outside of the terminal. Its a customs regulation for entering the USA. You will see signs and garbage bins all along the route from the ship to the customs line. There are also dogs that check out the passengers. Your best bet is to grab chips, small packs of cereal, yogurt - anything sealed in original packaging.

The problem you possibly face is being referred to secondary for a thorough search of all your baggage. Depending upon the mood of the agent(s) conducting the search, it might be quite lengthy. If you have an open bus ticket, it might possibly be no more than a minor inconvenience, but if you have a reservation, you might not make it. Future visits to the US might also be more interactive.

That said, check the CBP and USDA websites to see what foods you can bring in. There's a good number that you are allowed to bring in, and if you are open about it you won't have a problem. We often drive through the US on our way to or from the Maritimes and have a cooler and picnic basket with us. Never had a problem, although we have had the cooler checked on a slow day by CBSA officers on the way back into Canada.

This actually happened to two members of my group who I was traveling with in December at Miami customs. They were randomly selected for a search. They were told it was for food and agricultural items. They did a serious search going thru everything, I waited 20 minutes for them outside the terminal for them since we were traveling together.

There is a hefty fine, or imprisonment for bringing foodstuffs into a country. Don't risk it.

Don't forget about the unpleasant body cavity search too.

But, hey, if you can save $10 after taking an expensive cruise I'm sure it is worth it. Be sure to take some plates and silverware too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I left a river boat in Basel at 3:30am for a 6am flight to FRA with a breakfast box (packaged by the boat for us to take - not smuggled) in my backpack. I ate the boxed food at FRA before boarding the flight to Washington, DC. 7 hours later in luggage at IAD this cute little beagle came over and sat down at my feet, followed by a USDA officer, and I got to visit the infamous little room. Officers were polite when I explained about the long eaten sandwiches, but were still very thorough in their search (which indeed found nothing).

Better idea, If you want to save money then go by the Park Cafe and get several sandwiches. Pack them in zip lock bags and enjoy on your trip home. Worst case is if the dogs smell your yummy snacks and you have to turn them over. Best case, they don't and snack to your hearts desire.
Truly poor advice. The two main things USDA looks for are fruits and meat (such as beef sandwiches). The worst that can happen to you is far more than having to turn over your food. The US Customs Declaration Form 6059B that every disembarking passengers has to fill out, sign and turn in specifically asks if you bring in fruits, vegetables, meats, etc. Failure to declare food products can result in up to $10,000 in fines and penalties. Buying lunch on the way home is a lot cheaper.

Why would you want to end an otherwise pleasant and expensive holiday by stressing over whether or not you will get caught smuggling a few sandwiches? Just bring some prepackaged snacks from home.

just like you cannot bring food off the ship in any port, the same goes for the end of the cruise. if it is not factory sealed, it CANNOT be taken off the ship.

trying to save $20 is not worth the very high risk of being caught and subjected to a ten times ( or more) larger fine

actually worst case if you have to turn them over and they fine you for lying on your customs declaration card.