Blu and MDR

mandygal00

I have seen conflicting posts about this, so I wanted to clear it up. I've heard that if you're in aqua class, you HAVE to eat at Blu, not the MDR, unless you're doing a specialty restaurant. But I've also heard that you can dine in either Blu or MDR, it doesn't matter. My reservation shows we have traditional dining at 6. So we can chose the MDR any night we want? Do we have to notify them when we're not eating in the MDR? Or are we restricted to just Blu and not the MDR?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No reservation needed in Blu, just walk in. According to my TA and X (I trust the TA to be accurate since they always have been) the time on your reservation is just for X bookkeeping. Ours says traditional late and I questioned it with the TA and X. They both said it's only for their crazy system. I'd suggest that if you want to eat in the MDR, speak with the maître d at Blu and let him/her make your reservation.

If you are in AQ Blu is your assigned dining room. It really doesn't matter what your reservation says; X's systems don't account for Blu or Luminae. You don't need reservation for Blu just show up when you are ready to dine. Should you want to try the MDR tell the MaitreD in Blu so they can arrange for you to go to the MDR.

We have never gone to the MDR whe. In AQ but YMMV.

I have seen conflicting posts about this, so I wanted to clear it up. I've heard that if you're in aqua class, you HAVE to eat at Blu, not the MDR, unless you're doing a specialty restaurant. But I've also heard that you can dine in either Blu or MDR, it doesn't matter. My reservation shows we have traditional dining at 6. So we can chose the MDR any night we want? Do we have to notify them when we're not eating in the MDR? Or are we restricted to just Blu and not the MDR?

1-the Blu is usually the primary reason for booking AQ; the other benefits are minor.

2-the "traditional dining at 6" on your booking is an erroneous software default (error) since they never upgraded the software to allow it to show the open seating in the Blu.

3-they do not take reservations in the Blu; just a walk up. However, when I was last in the Blu, they seemed to have made special arrangements for an extended family of eight to always have the same large table.

4-you can occasionally politely request to have dinner in the MDR in the select dining section; but eating all dinners in the MDR would probably be frowned upon and would undoubtedly be subject to availability. Note: non-AQ who choose Traditional at the time of booking are often put on wait lists when they ask to be switched to Select.

5-in lieu of physically eating in the MDR, you can also occasionally request to be served a MDR item in the Blu. Even though this makes it more difficult for your waiter, they can be very understanding and accommodating when you ask politely and infrequently.

6-there are several off-menu items that are always available in the Blu - like escargot & onion soup for example - just ask your waiter.

1-t

4-you can occasionally politely request to have dinner in the MDR in the select dining section; but eating all dinners in the MDR would probably be frowned upon and would undoubtedly be subject to availability. Note: non-AQ who choose Traditional at the time of booking are often put on wait lists when they ask to be switched to Select.

5-in lieu of physically eating in the MDR, you can also occasionally request to be served a MDR item in the Blu. Even though this makes it more difficult for your waiter, they can be very understanding and accommodating when you ask politely and infrequently.

6-there are several off-menu items that are always available in the Blu - like escargot & onion soup for example - just ask your waiter.

As to the above our experience is a bit different.:

You may eat at select dining in the MDR if you prefer. My experience on Summit has been that you do not have to ask (per the Blu Maitr'd), just go there. However, you may not go to either of the traditional MDR seatings. ( The only difference is what deck you go to for the MDR. Food is identical)

You may NOT order off of the regular nightly MDR menu in Blu, except for the "Every day classics). Some people that have are absolutely an exception that the Blu staff has allowed on rare occasions and on particular ships. If there is really something you want on the MDR menu (which is posted outside the entrance) then by all means eat in the MDR.

The Every Day Classics are:

appetizers: escargot, shrimp cocktail

soup/salad: french onion soup, cesar salad

entre: Baked salmon, NY strip steak, baked chicken

desserts: NY cheesecake, Chocolate fudge cake, creme brulee, ice cream (c,v,s)

My first Aqua experience, so first time at Blu .... I just can't wait...11 days

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

Welcome to Cruise Critic and Aqua class. You will love it. Don't forget the breakfast. I love their French Toast and I also order fresh berries with it. Awesome. We never feel the need to ask for anything from the MDR, partly because we can usually find something we like on the Blu Menu and mostly because we don't want to make extra work for the servers. Enjoy your cruise.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and Aqua class. You will love it. Don't forget the breakfast. I love their French Toast and I also order fresh berries with it. Awesome. We never feel the need to ask for anything from the MDR, partly because we can usually find something we like on the Blu Menu and mostly because we don't want to make extra work for the servers. Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you Tea Bag, been on CC for over 10 years. Had to recreate a "new identity" when I got frustrated trying to recover my old one. French toast and berries sound perfect. One of my cruising companions has cruised Aqua before, and we planned this cruise quickly over New Year's Dinner. It will be my 24th cruise, and second on Celebrity. Used to cruise mainly RCI, about a dozen of them, but Celebrity seems to suit me now. Blu was her favorite part of Aqua, so I'm anxious to experience it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

Just showing up at the MDR is not recommended. You do not have a dining assignment there. If there are passengers waiting to get into Select, you are putting them out, and they can't move to Blu to balance the load. That's why you should coordinate with the Blu Maitre D who can find a time when there would be space for you in the MDR if you choose not to eat in your dining assignment

My advice is to check out the menus in Blu and if you don't see anything you like on a particular night, then make a reservation in one of the Specialty Restaurants, check out the theme night at the Buffet, or ask the Manager of Blu to contact the MDR. In any case, you should let the Manager know if you are not dining in Blu.

Thanks everyone! We are booked in aqua class for our 4/15/17 sailing on the Reflection. It sounds like Blu will be good for all our dinners minus 1 or 2 specialty restaurant nights. We are waiting till on board to book those. Blu breakfast sounds good too, but really looking forward to room service breakfast sitting on our balcony! Also hoping to try Sushi on 5 and Qsine. This is my first cruise as an adult (I'm 34), and I'm sort of a foodie, so looking to try new things!

OP, one question, what prompted you to book in an Aqua level cabin?

My mother booked the cabin for us, so I don't know the specifics, but I do know she got a good deal booking aqua vs. a standard verandah. We also liked the location of the cabin (middle of the ship- I'm prone to sea sickness!). Also wanted to be near the spa, as we have already booked massages, pedicures and facials. I hear the cabin amenities aren't much to talk about though. When she booked, she didn't realize we were restricted to Blu, but it seems like that will still be fine- I actually prefer the smaller, intimate dining as opposed to the hustle and bustle of the MDR. After doing research, it seems Blu is really the only major difference between aqua and concierge.

As to the above our experience is a bit different.:

You may NOT order off of the regular nightly MDR menu in Blu, except for the "Every day classics). Some people that have are absolutely an exception that the Blu staff has allowed on rare occasions and on particular ships. If there is really something you want on the MDR menu (which is posted outside the entrance) then by all means eat in the MDR.

The Every Day Classics are:

appetizers: escargot, shrimp cocktail

soup/salad: french onion soup, cesar salad

entre: Baked salmon, NY strip steak, baked chicken

desserts: NY cheesecake, Chocolate fudge cake, creme brulee, ice cream (c,v,s)

This will be our first time in Blu and I've been doing a lot of research.

I've also read that you may order a baked potato for dinner and eggs benedict for b'fast. True or not true?

Just showing up at the MDR is not recommended. You do not have a dining assignment there. If there are passengers waiting to get into Select, you are putting them out, and they can't move to Blu to balance the load. That's why you should coordinate with the Blu Maitre D who can find a time when there would be space for you in the MDR if you choose not to eat in your dining assignment

This your opinion and not a fact. Many people decide to eat in the buffet or specialty dining and do not ask permission or alert the maitr'd. Therefore, it stands to reason that a few (and there will never be many) that opt to eat in the MDR instead of Blu are no problem whatever. This is a fluid situation with multiple choices, they will not be turned away nor will they be "taking anyone's seat".

This will be our first time in Blu and I've been doing a lot of research.

I've also read that you may order a baked potato for dinner and eggs benedict for b'fast. True or not true?

I think they may have baked potato available. If not, and this is your only preference, then you can ask if they will have them the next night for you. (I know one couple who wanted sliced strawberries for desert and made arrangements the night before for them. The maitr'd dislikes doing this because other people see it and ask. Another couple asked and they were turned down. They were also turned down for the request for the next night.) As for eggs benedict in the morning, I believe you can request this as I think it is served in the MDR. I have never requested it though, nor seen anyone do so, so I can not tell you for sure. The other breakfast options are wonderful though.

This your opinion and not a fact. Many people decide to eat in the buffet or specialty dining and do not ask permission or alert the maitr'd. Therefore, it stands to reason that a few (and there will never be many) that opt to eat in the MDR instead of Blu are no problem whatever. This is a fluid situation with multiple choices, they will not be turned away nor will they be "taking anyone's seat".

As a many many times AQ guy I can say that this fish speaks the truth.

But as someone who has had to wait to enter my dining room because it is overbooked and people who are not assigned there are "just showing up" I say arrange it with the Blu Maitre D who can advise you when the MDR can accommodate you without inconveniencing others.

My mother booked the cabin for us, so I don't know the specifics, but I do know she got a good deal booking aqua vs. a standard verandah. We also liked the location of the cabin (middle of the ship- I'm prone to sea sickness!). Also wanted to be near the spa, as we have already booked massages, pedicures and facials. I hear the cabin amenities aren't much to talk about though. When she booked, she didn't realize we were restricted to Blu, but it seems like that will still be fine- I actually prefer the smaller, intimate dining as opposed to the hustle and bustle of the MDR. After doing research, it seems Blu is really the only major difference between aqua and concierge.

We were in an Aqua level on our last cruise, and booked due to a price special too.

We have found that many people book Aqua thinking there is something special about the cabin, when it is the same size as a veranda. We have enjoyed our deck 8 & 9 cabins and are on 7 this yr. We were on 11 in for our A2.

We did enjoy the Blu dining room, it can feel a tad crowded at peak times. Breakfast options are really good, but the made to order eggs Benedict in the buffet are just as good.

FYI:

We have gone to all the speciality venues on Reflection, all wonderful!

We liked everything about the Lawn Club the best!

Wallie- I see it shows you're from mesquite, TX? I live in Forney

Just a hop n skip down Hwy 80!

The wifesters BF lives there, and her Salon is there.

Edited by wallie5446