Harmony LIVE, March 11th - 18th. Come Sail Away!!!

After the gorging we went for a walk around the circle to shed a few pounds. We walked directly past Kilwins Ice Cream, but not next time. Expect food pics next time.

A few random pictures.

Most importantly Owen and my mom, Grandma Ann.

8045982d13aa26215bee129d04cb3b4f.jpg

d92aba1cd4d7a7c3a8dbb62b31321d7e.jpg

19c970c76129b84f75ec4bf352989c07.jpg

bc343e2632341faa4751ed3ef7088057.jpg

Someone thought this statue needed glasses.

25a64cb77b0e25f47d0c19f2839cc571.jpg

c58e2baa48acba7ee7d2f5abf2d2c9e0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by A&L_Ont

I must be getting a bit older as found myself doing a bit of reading/research about Sarasota. First PBS watching and now this, my MIL Sharon would be proud. First I was looking at TripAdvisor to see what to do for a few days, and possibly researching where to eat. ;)

I also went to Wikipedia to read up on Sarasota. I'm going skip the boring parts that would fascinate my MIL and get to the more recent details. Back to my MIL for a moment - one time we travelled with the in-laws to Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology in Drumheller, Alberta and then continued onto the Badlands which were nearby. Sharon was looking out upon them she asked out loud "I wonder how they formed". A random gentleman within earshot responded "you are a curious one aren't you", and that left all of us laughing.

ff2564c9e6dbb434a3f672081bd81c86.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm pretty sure you don't know when humans settled in Sarasota for the purpose of hunting and gathering, or when Spanish Conquistador Hernando de Soto (who later developed a stylish car) sailed into South Tampa Bay, the origins of local fish camps, followed by their demise by over fishing, the history of the local pioneer families, and other important twentieth and twenty first century developments.

I will give you my abbreviated Coles Notes Version - Around 1913 the Ringling Brothers settled in Sarasota and around 1927 they moved their Circus HQ there. They got into land development for future snowbirds, for example my mom. Then the Great Depression hit and things went bad. Many other things happened but the legacy of the Ringling's can easily be found around Sarasota. They have a Circus Museum and even tour their estate.

A few examples, a statue that we passed tonight.

40cab3d2bbb8c813f180228ccda94c04.jpg

Their Museum of Art we drove by on the way here.

777df99850e755139a728f1899940ab6.jpg

History lesson over. For my MIL Sharon who's following along at home, here's the Wiki link for you. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarasota,_Florida

As for Sarasota, St Armand's Circle, Lido Beach and Siesta Key this is what it looks like today.

8dm2Xg_3mO4

Thought I'd share a few pictures of where home will be for the next few days, other than the suit cases we are living out of.

This is a picture of St Armand's Circle and Lido Beach, which is just off the mainland from Sarasota.

e35c8750a8d6f1e3f7a032233398dd88.jpg

Mom's place is located perfectly, at least that's what she says. I have to say she's right.

b132c68928b109c9f3f36bf1f2728c5d.jpg

I think we might go for a walk on the beach in the morning and a maybe swim. We are gonna take full advantage of the great weather.

In the afternoon we are headed to see preseason baseball game at Ed Smith Stadium. Canada's Team, the Toronto Blue Jays play the Baltimore Orioles. Go Jays Go!

Andrew, first glad you made it safely to Fl. Next my DH and I have a question mainly just curiosity can you tell us what a crossing is normally like from Canada into US. Robert was an agent on one of the worst ports from MX into US for the past 22 years. Enjoy Fl and time with your mom

I think now is the best time to say goodnight. It's been a long day.

In the spirit of Sarasota's Circus background, I will leave you with some fun tonight. You can find a name generator for almost anything, so what is your Circus Name?

2dd90fa45f52940dda0e32ef66ac8cf5.jpg

Mine - Chi Chi The Sparkling Kinker

Lisa's - Ming The Infamous Kinker

Owen's - Jumbo The Astounding Kinker

I guess we are the Kinker Family. :)

After the gorging we went for a walk around the circle to shed a few pounds. We walked directly past Kilwins Ice Cream, but not next time. Expect food pics next time.

A few random pictures.

Most importantly Owen and my mom, Grandma Ann.

d92aba1cd4d7a7c3a8dbb62b31321d7e.jpg

19c970c76129b84f75ec4bf352989c07.jpg

bc343e2632341faa4751ed3ef7088057.jpg

Someone thought this statue needed glasses.

25a64cb77b0e25f47d0c19f2839cc571.jpg

c58e2baa48acba7ee7d2f5abf2d2c9e0.jpg

I think you've convinced me to move to Sarasota :)

I think now is the best time to say goodnight. It's been a long day.

In the spirit of Sarasota's Circus background, I will leave you with some fun tonight. You can find a name generator for almost anything, so what is your Circus Name?

2dd90fa45f52940dda0e32ef66ac8cf5.jpg

Mine - Chi Chi The Sparkling Kinker

Lisa's - Ming The Infamous Kinker

Owen's - Jumbo The Astounding Kinker

I guess we are the Kinker Family. :)

What are the odds that you would all get the same last name. :eek:

Welcome to Florida! Following the thread for epic tales!

Hello Longos. Next time we shall catch up. Pass my condolences on to Val, and I hope everyone feeling better soon at home.

This review came at the perfect time. Need a bit of cheering up, and I know this will be just the thing to do it. Andrew can't wait to see what your private cabin library may bring this cruise.[emoji6][emoji12] I wish you all a fantastic vacation.

The cheering up, hopefully I can do. I can't guarantee a vaudeville Periscope show this cruise, but you never know.

Just loving this fun and colorful play by play!! I hope your flight was a smooth one. Looking forward to reading more and laughing more! We sail on Oasis in 56 days we literally can't wait for our time to be here. Have a great time!! :D

The flight was quick and smooth. Those 56 days will take forever, and then the 7 on board will fly by.

Yay! Let the party begin! See you Saturday. :cool:

Be there or be square.

Andrew, Owen and Lisa so glad you made it safe and sound from had to be a long exhausting travel day.

Have a great trip, can't wait for more as the dust mitt and pledge are currently staring at me :')

Enjoy. Thanks so much.

If you are feeling bored we live at 1234 Apple Bottom Crescent. [emoji23]

Andrew, first glad you made it safely to Fl. Next my DH and I have a question mainly just curiosity can you tell us what a crossing is normally like from Canada into US. Robert was an agent on one of the worst ports from MX into US for the past 22 years. Enjoy Fl and time with your mom

We typically cross at Port Huron and occasionally Windsor. We almost always get the where to, how long, when back, and how much money questions but never this quick. Even with Nexus. The gent who was working looked like a lifer, almost at retirement age. I said to Lisa as we drove away that he would have seen the changes over the decades.

I'm starting to feel like a broken record about personal admissions. Maybe I should just rename my review to "Cruiser Confessions, live on Harmony". In my further research of Ringling Brothers I ended up reading about clowns and their purpose in the circus. Now my dad was a big Red Skeleton fan, me not so much. Actually I don't like clowns at all, either be it sad or happy. And that was before last fall's round of practical jokers wearing clown costumes jumping out of the bushes at night scaring the crap out of unsuspecting people.

So last night I end up on YouTube looking at of all things a clown named Puddles that has a video with over 18 million views. Yes 18 MILLION views of one video. Not bad for a clown, not bad at all. After an hour of binge watching Puddles I have to say I'm warming up to clowns, or at least just this one. I showed Lisa this morning and she thinks I'm nuts, but that's par for the course.

o_9xN3er5z0

He does an amazing rendition of "Hallelujah" at Joe's Pub. Search for it on YouTube it's well worth watching.

OMG - I just saw the picture of your mom and think I know you! I'm from London originally and my parents (and us kids growing up) went to the same church. Small world!

No kidding. TLC? If so small world.

I haven't been there in a long time, but my philosophy is be kind and good to people. You don't have to go to a building to do that. It is your daily actions that make you who you are.

If you are walkers you might want to walk down to the Ritz Carlton and have lunch; it is usually empty during the week and I bet they won't mind if you use their pool afterwards. If you are very big walkers, walk past the Ritz Carlton on the beach to the end for some gorgeous views. Have a great trip.