Traveling on the "lite" side

gnatz007

Going on the Crown Princess April 2 and we are planning on just taking carryon's. We can get away traveling pretty lite especially on a 6 day cruise with only 1 formal night. Had a question maybe someone can answer.

I sunburn pretty rapidly, so I bathe in sunscreen before I leave the room ;). What do other carry on travelers do for sunscreen? I want to take a bigger amount than I can travel on an airplane. Do you stop in at Publix / another grocery store (incurring the extra taxi / uber wait time), buy in the airport, buy on the ship?

Any other lite travel tips?

Also debating doing another review... but can't decide since the Crown takes off for Europe I believe after our cruise and don't know how much information will still be relevant or wanted... you guys decide...

I do not often travel light so can't help you there! BUT, I have done a lot of thinking and research about sunscreen because there have been times where I wanted to just have a carry on and not checked bag, but I cannot go without large amounts of sunscreen. If you're departing from a US port, I advise you just make a stop at a local store before the cruise and get everything you need. Selection and pricing of sunscreen onboard will not be desirable. My main issue has been flying to foreign cities like Cancun or Punta Cana. There is no opportunity to shop for sunscreen there, as we were going to resort areas with no local shopping nearby. So I researched trying to buy it in the airport after clearing security and before flying and I have not been able to find a shop that sells it, other than a duty free store that sells very expensive designer brands. My airport is JFK, pretty major and you would think that somewhere in some terminal would sell it but they don't. I'm thinking this is how I will get rich, selling sunscreen in post security shops in the airport! Good luck and have a great cruise.

Going on the Crown Princess April 2 and we are planning on just taking carryon's. We can get away traveling pretty lite especially on a 6 day cruise with only 1 formal night. Had a question maybe someone can answer.

I sunburn pretty rapidly, so I bathe in sunscreen before I leave the room ;). What do other carry on travelers do for sunscreen? I want to take a bigger amount than I can travel on an airplane. Do you stop in at Publix / another grocery store (incurring the extra taxi / uber wait time), buy in the airport, buy on the ship?

Also debating doing another review... but can't decide since the Crown takes off for Europe I believe after our cruise and don't know how much information will still be relevant or wanted... you guys decide...

If only doing carry on I would buy sunscreen after we land. Then if there is any left, just toss it out. I too burn easily but I have a sunscreen I love so I do put it in checked luggage. The 2 oz containers are way too expensive and I travel with at least 12 oz (2 bottles) when I go on vacation. When traveling with my husband and kids, I do put it in TSA authorized containers, since they don't have any, and bring the spray bottle with me (empty), but that's a mess too and we require more sunscreen. :)

Having never sailed on Princess I would be interested, especially if you have photos of Crown. We sail 13/05/17.

Thanks all. I think we will try and have the taxi / lyft / uber drop by Publix and snag sunscreen there. I will be glad to take pictures of the Crown. We were on the Ruby in July for an Alaska cruise and I think they are identical.

You can order Rocky Mountain Sunscreen from Amazon and have it delivered to your hotel. No smell, dries quickly and very good water resistance. The SPF 30 is about as good as SPF 50 of other brands but much easier to spread. The kid's stuff is the only one available on Prime but is a pretty good buy. A quart bottle is about the same cost as two-three 6 oz tubes. KIng Soopers sells it (Kroger) but haven't seen it in Florida.

I have done only carry on with a couple of cruises I have been on. I buy a small bottle that is <3 ounces at Wal Mart, Walgreen's, a dollar store, etc. Then I fill that bottle with my sunscreen from a larger bottle. If one 3 oz. container is not enough, fill two such bottles. Just so long all your liquids fit into your quart-size ziploc bag. Never been asked about having such an unlabeled bottle and been through security dozens of times with one.

I wore my heavier clothes like a sweatshirt vs. packing them. That worked well. For a 10-day cruise from Quebec to NYC both my sister and I were able to do with just a carry on and a "personal item." Made life so much easier.

Princess prices on the ship for sunscreen really aren't that horribly expensive. ;)

Bought an 8 oz. bottle for about $7.00 on Caribbean Princess in January.

Easier than carrying it on the ship with us. :D

Exactly !

Last month, I bought the larger size SPF 30 onboard the Caribbean Princess for $14.00

OP.. pack lite, and buy it onboard :)

Lite travel

We do what you plan to do all the time.

We're Elite so get free laundry. However, if no free laundry...

You can do your own $3 wash/$3 dry, bring your own detergent pods.

Wear clothes more than once before washing (excluding undies :D.

Pack mix n' match. I choose a color palette and wear all the same color interchangeable tops and bottoms.

Bring one fancy top even if more than one formal night.

Bring one pair of sandals (for warm weather cruises) and one pair of walking shoes.

Our roll aboard suitcases (we bring one each) and carry-ons (again one each) are enough for all the cruises that we've done. Our longest cruise to date is 43 days.

We stopped giving suitcases to the porters at the dock when our suitcases (2) were dropped into the water during loading. We vowed, "never again".

We will be departing the Crown :(the day you board. I will leave you our unused sunscreen in the designated drop box (just kidding). As others have said, purchasing on ship, home port, or at first port stop, works for us. Not a major expense. Promise to leave the ship in good shape for you, enjoy your cruise. :D

Princess prices on the ship for sunscreen really aren't that horribly expensive. ;)

Exactly !

Last month, I bought the larger size SPF 30 onboard the Caribbean Princess for $14.00

OP.. pack lite, and buy it onboard :)

Exactly--unless you want something very specific, go with the above suggestions. No worries!!

My wife also buy it onboard. Very practical.

If you'll be at a hotel for a night pre-cruise, you can have items shipped to the hotel and held for your arrival (suggest contacting the hotel to give them a head's up and also to determine how they want items addressed). I did this in Europe so that I had a local SIM card waiting for me as soon as I got to my hotel. I've also mailed my posters for scientific conferences directly to the hotel so I didn't need to lug a poster tube through the airport.

We've been doing this with sunscreen and bug spray when we can't easily get to a store before cruising either because of timing or embarkation port. I was kind of surprised how inexpensive it's been.

I'm a fair skinned red head, so sunscreen is a must. I've found the type that comes in stick form to work well. It looks like a deodorant, so no need to worry about going through airport security with it. This Neutrogena brand works well for me:

https://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Ultra-Sheer-Sunscreen-Spectrum/dp/B00HNSSV3U/ref=sr_1_10_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1489119641&sr=8-10&keywords=neutrogena+sunscreen

Locally easily available in drugstores.

We usually buy a few of the SPF 30(or above)spray on types of sun protection. We normally arrive the day before & pick up a few at any nearby store. I'd recommend bringing a few of the thin "fishing" type shirts. You keep pretty comfy, as they "breathe" well & offer a pretty good amount of sun protection.