What would you pick?

rcssmom

My husband will be 60 next February. I am looking at the Equinox for either a back to back or one week in a suite.

For about the same price we can do a suite for one week or a regular balcony cabin for two weeks.

What would you do?

Karen

With no hesitation we would take the longer cruise. Suites are very nice, but for many, hardly worth the price difference. Personally, we spend no more then 3 waking hours a day in our cabin (whether its a suite of basic cabin). While we do love the extra space (and amenities on some lines) of a suite we enjoy the extra days a lot more! In fact, if we take this discussion to the next step, and even bigger debate is whether to book a suite on a mass market cruise line (like Celebrity) or book a suite on one of the luxury lines (i.e. Crystal, Silverseas, Seabourn, etc). If you want to pay the big bucks for a suite....why not do it on a vessel where everything is a step above...including better service, food, space ratios, etc. There might be some exceptions such as the Haven Suites on NCL, or "Grill" suites on the Queen, where there are lots of extra amenities that essentially create a ship within a ship.

Hank

My husband and I will both be turning 60 next year and we booked a March 2019 cruise to celebrate.

Our philosophy is you only live once and you cant take it with you, so we are doing a 12 night Caribbean in a suite.

Maybe you could try a 10 nighter in a suite, and have the best of both worlds...a longer vacation and the suite life!

If that doesn't work, then I would probably opt for the 2 weeks.

The question I would ask you is if your cruise is more about the ports you hope to visit and the general ship entertainment or about a bit of feeling well and truly pampered?

If you intend having long port days and drinking in lots of different bars then you probably won't get the most out of your suite and suite perks...However, if you are likely to want to spend more time in your room and on your balcony, would enjoy having the 'club' atmosphere of Michael's and having both a concierge and butler trying to make your cruise extra special....not to mention Luminae then the suite wins...

It really is a hard call. If I was you I would see if I could 'push' to a 10/11 day cruise in a suite.....after all hitting 60 is a big deal!

I would absolutely opt for 2 weeks in a balcony cabin or 1 week in a suite. I have taken both 1 week and 2 week vacations and there is no comparison. It takes a whole week to really decompress and relax, and not feel you have to cram as much "vacationing" in as possible.

I would definitely choose Celebrity. If you live within a resaonable drive to a port, the take a cruise that doesn't require the hassle of driving.

Also, consider aqua class. Sometimes the deals are very good. The little added perks and eating in Blu go a long way to making you feel pampered and special.

If you're talking about a Sky or Celebrity Suite, do the b2b.

If you're talking about a RS or a PH, do the suite.

I spend way more than 3 hours oer day in a PH suite, especially on M-class ships.

Before you disembark from a M-class ship, ask one of the aft butlers if you can see the cabin. It is AWESOME!!!

If you're talking about a Sky or Celebrity Suite, do the b2b.

If you're talking about a RS or a PH, do the suite.

I spend way more than 3 hours oer day in a PH suite, especially on M-class ships.

Before you disembark from a M-class ship, ask one of the aft butlers if you can see the cabin. It is AWESOME!!!

We sailed in the PH on the Summit last summer.

I had to practically pry my husband off the balcony every day to get out and do things.

He was very content to just relax there, beer or wine in hand, watching the wake in that big comfy lounge chair!

Doing it again in July, but thankfully with other people, so he'll have to come out once in awhile ;)

Our first time on X coming up, and we booked a seven night cruise in an S1 (our first suite experience), because the cost was favorably comparable to what we were looking at on NCL, Princess, and HAL. But if I had to choose two weeks in a Verandah cabin or one week in a Suite, the two weeks of cruising would be more desirable, to me at least. Due to hubby's vacay time at work, B2B's and cruises longer than a week are difficult to do.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I am leaning towards the two weeks. We have done a 14 day Southern Caribbean and we are set to sail on a 15 night Panama Canal cruise in five weeks. We definitely love the longer cruises but also love good food and nice amenities. I like the idea of a specialty dinner package along with perhaps some spa treatments......

Thanks Again.

My husband will be 60 next February. I am looking at the Equinox for either a back to back or one week in a suite.

For about the same price we can do a suite for one week or a regular balcony cabin for two weeks.

What would you do?

Karen

As long as there is room for me and my stuff, I am happy. The rest of the room in a suite is totally wasted space. You can probably buy mosty of the amenities that a suite offers for less than the delta between the the b2b and the suite. Do the long cruise.

DON

What would you do?

Karen

I also surprised my hubby with a cruise on the Equinox for his 60th birthday. Without a doubt, I would book the B2B for two weeks and make reservations for Murano for his special day.

I really think it depends on where you are going, whether it is port intensive and what your husband enjoys doing most on a cruise. Seven days for me is way too short. If you have never been in a suite before, you don't know what you are missing, so having more days at sea would seem very logical to me. Unfortunately, I love the suite life and would entertain the thought of a longer cruise, hoping to move up to a suite on one of the cruises for a discount. Keep your eyes on what is happening with prices and see what you might be able to upgrade to, even if it isn't a suite, Aqua would be a very nice upgrade if the price was right. so, having said all of that, I have no doubt you will make the right decision and have a fantastic birthday cruise for your DH!