Save me from Oprah

EDLOS

The whole Oprah thing is too New Age and high energy for me - cruises are where I get away from the daily media hype and unplug totally. HAL is making some nice marketing decisions - go with their strengths - sailing traditions and world wide ports.

The variety of evening live music options for all tastes has been a good course to take. But the hyper-screaming that is associated with the Oprah show makes no sense at all. SNL Oprah spoof - not:

I just can't stop laughing at this video. I've never liked SNL but this hits it on the head.

I'm not sure that these are minor complaints, and as the saying goes: The squeaky wheel gets the grease. How would you expect HAL to assess consumer reaction if there were no reactions?

If people book the Oprah cruises, isn't that also consumer reaction?

Roz

Why would HAL inject such a radical political figure into the joys and pleasure of cruising. We cruise to avoid such posturing. In addition, cruising is the last place I want to go to be subjected to Weight Watchers propaganda... Doesn't look like it is working for her...

My goodness how can you be so hateful on a Sunday morning! I have to say if you're somebody who can get so worked up about a stranger that you resort to body shaming I hope we do not cross paths on any ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with all of the above comments... HAL is way off base getting involved with Oprah or any entertainers, celebrities... they are a big turn off in America these days ....

Oh please. On a scale that slides from Right to Left, only one side of the scale considers these people a "turn off" because they are usually on the opposite side of the scale...

If any cruise line were to offer a special series of cruises featuring, oh, say, Hugh Jackman, Jake Gylenhall, Daniel Craig, and Ryan Reynolds, I'd mortgage the house for that cruise!

Now, if I knew that The Federalist Society or a superPAC had a group sailing on a particular ship on a particular sailing, I'd say FAAAAAAR away from that one. I had enough of their hypocrisy from their meetings at my hotel...

No one is putting a gun to anyone's head to participate. I'm not forced to go to duplicate bridge, or the trivia games, or the Adagio Strings, or the "how to stay young at 70" lectures... Why does anyone think they are going to be forced to watch a Weight Watchers lecture - although many on this site could probably benefit, based on the eating habits I've observed on cruises...

I guess I'll have to remember to do my daily Mindfulness practice cooped up in my inside cabin instead of out on a deck - don't want anyone to have to see such hippie-dippie activity...

I find this whole thread extremely distasteful. It reminds me of all the things I dislike about cruising in general.

Cruising seems to attract travelers who only want to vacation/travel/see the world when surrounded by a "pod" of like-minded people. And when I say like-minded, I mean people who share exactly the same opinions and aren't particularly interested in the opinions of others -- whether they be fellow travelers or locals they might encounter.

Some of the best cruises I've experienced have been those where I've exchanged ideas (usually over a nice long dinner or a lengthy tour) with those who have very different viewpoints from my own.

And for those who don't like "change for the sake of change" I'm sure that HAL has some idea that this will be a change that's financially advantageous to them or else they wouldn't do it.... If HAL only keeps pandering to their "base" that don't want any changes, that base will eventually die off and the line will be sunk (pun intended).

Oh please. On a scale that slides from Right to Left, only one side of the scale considers these people a "turn off" because they are usually on the opposite side of the scale...

If any cruise line were to offer a special series of cruises featuring, oh, say, Hugh Jackman, Jake Gylenhall, Daniel Craig, and Ryan Reynolds, I'd mortgage the house for that cruise!

Now, if I knew that The Federalist Society or a superPAC had a group sailing on a particular ship on a particular sailing, I'd say FAAAAAAR away from that one. I had enough of their hypocrisy from their meetings at my hotel...

No one is putting a gun to anyone's head to participate. I'm not forced to go to duplicate bridge, or the trivia games, or the Adagio Strings, or the "how to stay young at 70" lectures... Why does anyone think they are going to be forced to watch a Weight Watchers lecture - although many on this site could probably benefit, based on the eating habits I've observed on cruises...

I guess I'll have to remember to do my daily Mindfulness practice cooped up in my inside cabin instead of out on a deck - don't want anyone to have to see such hippie-dippie activity...

Seeing that HAL is prone to keep secfret when theere is a large group aboard, I worry they will not make it well known THE oPRAH HUBBVUB WILL BE ON A CRUISE i BBOOK AND i WON'T KNOW. When she was on tf everyday, I could hit the rmote congtrol and make her gone. How c an I make her gone if I find myslef on a ship with her goings on? She has hinted eh is thinking of rdunning for pesident. Maybe she'll annouunce when on a ship? G ROAN !!

When she was on tv ev ery day I c ould click my remote control aaand she was gone. Were I to find myself on ship with her hub bub going on, I would wish for that remote to ma ke

her gone. I would resent having spent money for acruise and not knowing I'd be subjected to her...... wHAT DOEs HAL THINK THEY WILL GET OUT OF THIS RELATIONSHIP? HAL is not known for telling when there will be a large group on a given cruise. I have little FAITH WE WILL aLWAYS KNOW when MS. O WILL BE ON ASHIP OR HER GANG WILL BE THERE. Certainly not a ton of approval judging from reaction here. I am su;re someone will point outewe are a small percentage of HALl CRUIsers BUT HERE ON cc THere are many of us who are not enthusiastic. maybe we are representaitve of many?

Edited by sail7seas

Whether we like or don't like Oprah, HAL has made a huge mistake in promoting a celeb to sell cruises. That's NOT why I cruise, and it's a real turnoff for their brand to go Hollywood instead of promoting the pleasures of cruising. If I want celebs, I will go to Vegas!

I totally agree. Hollywood doesn't dictate my life and I certainly don't want to cruise with this.

Great post:)

You can always choose to cruise on another line. Sheesh, the things people complain about.

GEESH, DON't we all get to choose about what we wish to complain? You TOO,,,,,,,,,,,,, About what do you wish to complaIn? :D

If you don't like Oprah don't be on the 2-4 cruises out of hundreds that she or her peeps will be on. It's that simple.

Personally, I don't want to cruise with bible thumpers or Trump supporters, so I wish it was as easy to avoid them as it will be for you to avoid Oprah.

CC asks we refrain from politics. This is the first blatant mention of politicss I have seen in htis thread. Be cause we say we don't like O, we are suddenly bible ""thumpers or?? No.. that is too much of a s tretch.

Edited by sail7seas

CC asks we refrain from polifftics. This is the first blatant mention of poltctics I have seen in ttis thread. Be cause we say we don't like O, we are suddenly bible ""thumpers or?? No.. that is too much of a s tretch.

Never said anyone on this thread is anything in particular, my point is simply that you can Easily avoid what you don't like ( Oprah and her "radical politics" ) by just avoiding those couple cruises that she's on. While others have no choice in who cruises with them.

You're safe, the Alaska cruise is the Aug 11 sailing on Eurodam. Here's the link to see which four cruises are affected.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=ShareTheAdventure_TileLP&showHeader=true&showFooter=true&ICID=PROM_PartnershipLP

For those who say they just want to sit back and enjoy the sea and not be bothered with this, I don't think the special O activities will get in the way. I look at it like the gym. I know every ship has one. Doesn't mean I have to go there. :cool:

Phew...thanks dodged a bullet for sure! Love your sentiment about the gym...I agree whole heartedly! :D

Guest Nellsmom58

Wow, this thread quickly got VERY political, and biases are quite evident. I thought this thread was about Oprahmania, not politics. And since when is stating one's opinion about cruise changes complaining? Sheesh back to ya...

Wow, this thread quickly got VERY political, and biases are quite evident. I thought this thread was about Oprahmania, not politics. And since when is stating one's opinion about cruise changes complaining? Sheesh back to ya...

Exactly!

It's quite evident just from reading through this thread that the "accept all or shut up" folk is totally fine until you disagree with what they think we should all accept. LOL.

Only they can have an opinion and those that differ from that opinion are subject to bullying and name calling. :')

Gotta love it! This is a great example of what the US has become and why we're in the predicament that we're in.

If it weren't for this thread I wouldn't have known that Oprah was going to sail on any HAL ships.

I don't care that they're using her to market their line...if that's what they think they need to do to sell cruises and keep the costs down for us...so be it.

I don't want to sail with her because I'm sure the security would be a headache and I choose to not have to deal with that Bologna on vacation.

Couldn't care less either way about Oprah or any other Hollywood figure left or right of the table.

To me they're all pretty hypocritical. I don't look to Hollywood for anything more than pure entertainment.

I just do not like the direction HAL is going! Bigger ships and dumbed-down entertainment, no thanks!!!

Bingo! That's it, exactly. It's not whether or not Oprah herself is aboard, it's the activities---which will be in lieu of other activities---that will be introduced. The fun, non-revenue generating activities that do remain will be replaced by activities tied in with Oprah.

Another lessening of the product that was once Holland America.

Bingo! That's it, exactly. It's not whether or not Oprah herself is aboard, it's the activities---which will be in lieu of other activities---that will be introduced. The fun, non-revenue generating activities that do remain will be replaced by activities tied in with Oprah.

Another lessening of the product that was once Holland America.

It's only on 4 cruises at most. So the hundreds of others will be unaffected. Just don't book yourself on those 4.

If people book the Oprah cruises, isn't that also consumer reaction?

Roz

Very possibly. But I don't understand your point. People can and, IMHO, should react either positively or negatively to changes if they want their opinions heard.