Tipping at main dining room, O'sheehans, other food questions

oceanfun77

Isn't the Pearl the only US flagged ship? I remember a coworker who sailed on the Pearl in Hawaii and tipped at every meal (3 times a day) since he never had the same waiter. Things may be different on the Pearl than the rest of the fleet.

MARAPRINCE

No, I think you may be thinking of the Pride of America.

They are not wrong, that's why there are so many threads regarding DSC and tipping. Be careful of what you say, calling those who've cruised many times wrong is insulting and for the most part inaccurate.

thank you: you beat me to it. If a passenger wants to give more, that is fine, but the DSC is still taken as the tipping policy. The only time we have ever tipped extra, in a MDR since the policy went into effect was when the service has been way above. We also once in awhile will give an extra $ to a particular bar tender or cocktail wait person. We do, normally give extra to our cabin steward at the end of the cruise.

It goes to the entire crew. A very small portion goes to any one given crew member. That does not mean it takes the place of tips. Again it is up to each of us to tip or to however we deem appropriate, but saying you do not have to tip because of DSC is an excuse at best. Your argument assumes the ONLY way to tip someone other then an envelope.

absolutely wrong: the only part you have right is the DSC pool is split up, not just for the wait staff: otherwise you need to get a clarifiation from NCL or any other line for that matter; yes, the DSC is designed to replace the old tipping policy!

I just pay the DSC. I will then give a small additional $20 to steward as mine are very hard working. I drink a lot of coffee, if the server is friendly in the coffee bar I will give them extra too. I don't give extra to the waiters in MDR or Buffet.

I too believe the DSC is in place of the old tipping practice, I found the old way hideously embarrassing & used to fill me with dread. Nearly all major lines now have a daily charge instead of individual tips with all different names. NCL is no different.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

{Snipped}

I too believe the DSC is in place of the old tipping practice, I found the old way hideously embarrassing & used to fill me with dread. Nearly all major lines now have a daily charge instead of individual tips with all different names. NCL is no different.

Why not go the whole hog, like Princess do with all cruises leaving or within Australia and New Zealand. Build the DSC in to the cost of the cruises.

We cruise on NCL 4 or 5 times a year and I honestly can say we have never noticed tables around us tipping cash. And since tables in most dining rooms are close together I think we would have noticed at some point, but I'm certainly not doubting those that say they do. I just think it's a smaller percent of cruisers who still carry that tipping cash with them. I don't want to get into a big tipping discussion but thought I should point that out to new to NCL cruisers. (And yes, even with the auto gratuities I have hunted down special servers at the end of the week to give them an envelope, but this doesn't happen every cruise. Have also wrote out 'hero' cards on most cruises.)

We used to cruise with the same waiters and set eating times and we are glad the days of putting cash in envelopes to hand out the last day are gone. That last night in the dining room you would see empty spaces at tables where some decided to skip the sit-down dinner so they could stiff the waiters. I find this new way of tipping much more fair.

So because I do not agree with you but I put creedence in the FAQs on NCL I am a troll? That would be like me saying that you calling me a troll makes you one of the, never mind, it is not worth it. I supported my statements 100% with direct quotes from NCLs web site. BTW no he isn't. I joined here to discuss cruising after my son told me about the place. Thanks for playing though. :)

regardless as to what you are saying DSC is the same as a tip and you,very well know this. All you are doing is confusing those who ask a legit question.:(

Do you guys pay any tips when you eat at the main dining room?

No as they are included in daily gratuities

How about specialty restaurants?

If the service is good, yes

Is O'Sheehans a paid or complimentary restaurant

It's complimentary

Are ice cream, pastries, and cake offered for free? Where can I get them?

Yes in buffet. Also usually an outdoor ice cream machine too

And is there a special food table laid out some time during the week that is not in the restaurant? When I went on a Princess cruise, they had this nice arrangement of sushi rolls (complete with carved vegetables) right out in the open one day...I just happened to walk pass it and see it. I don't want to miss the NCL one if they have it.

Never seen one

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 weeks later...
They are not wrong, that's why there are so many threads regarding DSC and tipping. Be careful of what you say, calling those who've cruised many times wrong is insulting and for the most part inaccurate.

I know these questions and answers are a month old. But for my cruise leaving on 5/29/17, the category is called 'Gratuities'. And to me, that means just that, tips/gratuities. I have paid this already up front. I ALWAYS tip additional for the incredible service we receive. Just had to mention that it is called 'Gratuities'. :)

I know these questions and answers are a month old. But for my cruise leaving on 5/29/17, the category is called 'Gratuities'. And to me, that means just that, tips/gratuities. I have paid this already up front. I ALWAYS tip additional for the incredible service we receive. Just had to mention that it is called 'Gratuities'. :)

People in this particular forum will argue all day about the difference between a "tip", "service charge" and "gratuity". It gets tiresome.

NCL's FAQ refers to it as a "service charge" at https://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Tipping and gratuities are not expected, but are allowed: https://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping

That is the only authoritative statements on it in the known universe. Everything else is opinion and conjecture, taken to an extreme by people with too much time on their hands. Or, they want to call them "tips" because they are "not from a tipping culture".

What you have been doing is spot on with those technical definitions, so it doesn't matter what you call it. It matters what you do. And to me and most other regular cruisers, you are doing it right. Leave the daily service charge in place and tip extra if you are moved to voluntarily do so.

No they are not.

Not necessarily, it is most often customary to tip at the time of the service.

The "designated service charge" DSC, is equally divided among the crew including behind the scenes crew members who never saw tips with the envelope tips. It was established for many reasons, one including passengers no longer had to use the customary envelopes at the end of the cruise to tip their cabin stewards, waiters, bartenders etc., who many times got "stiffed". Call it what you will....it took the place of envelope tips....which means you no longer need to tip unless you want to. It is now customary to do that "when you see fit". At the time of service or at the end of your cruise.....it's your choice all the way. I give extra to our cabin steward sometimes at the beginning, sometimes at the end of our cruise. I also give extra for any waiter or bartender that goes the extra mile. Except for the mandatory DSC and the gratuities tagged on to the UBP and the SDP, nothing is written in stone.......it's all up to you.

I work for a fortune 100 company. It's our culture when one sees emails going back & forth like this, we're encouraged to pick up the phone and talk to one another. If a resolution still can't be reached there should be mutual agreement to "agree to disagree." I think we're at that point here. [emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I work for a fortune 100 company. It's our culture when one sees emails going back & forth like this, we're encouraged to pick up the phone and talk to one another. If a resolution still can't be reached there should be mutual agreement to "agree to disagree." I think we're at that point here. [emoji3][emoji3]

You do realize this is the Internet, right? Not only that, this is Cruise Critic. And not only that, but this is the NCL board on Cruise Critic. You will never get people to agree to disagree because they are too busy disagreeing to agree!

You do realize this is the Internet, right? Not only that, this is Cruise Critic. And not only that, but this is the NCL board on Cruise Critic. You will never get people to agree to disagree because they are too busy disagreeing to agree!

We have a winner. Maybe make that part of your signature.

First off it is a "DISCRETIONARY Service Charge" Not "designated". The rest of your post is opinion except you never NEEDED TO tip. Tipping is and always has been 100% optional. Tipping anyone is NOT an extra tip. It is the ONLY tip. Yes it is up to each passenger to tip as he sees fit, but to use the DSC as an EXCUSE to not tip is just that, and EXCUSE.

I always thought it was the 'Daily service charge'?

First off it is a "DISCRETIONARY Service Charge" Not "designated". The rest of your post is opinion except you never NEEDED TO tip. Tipping is and always has been 100% optional. Tipping anyone is NOT an extra tip. It is the ONLY tip. Yes it is up to each passenger to tip as he sees fit, but to use the DSC as an EXCUSE to not tip is just that, and EXCUSE.
Actually, according to NCL FAQ, it is simply a "service charge". They don't mention what the D stands for...."daily" sounds more like it to me. And while you can "adjust" this service charge if you have issues with the service, the charge appears to be a mandatory charge UNLESS there are issues with the service. It does not have the feel of "optional". That said, "gratuities" are tips and are automatically added to specialty dining or SDP, and bar charges or UBP. Automatic also does not have the feel of being "optional". The DSC has a rather vague meaning depending on how it is worded in the FAQ section. It supports the wage and incentive programs equally divided except for the individual service people like bartenders, spa services, butlers and specialty dining waiters etc....who do not benefit from the DSC, therefore gratuities are added to your bill and they don't ask you for permission to do that. So all in all....most people will assume that their DSC is equal to what tipping envelopes did years ago. Some will give extra like we do and some will not. I don't see where I am assuming anything other than the word "designated" for which I stand corrected. These are facts...listed here: https://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Actually, according to NCL FAQ, it is simply a "service charge". They don't mention what the D stands for...."daily" sounds more like it to me.

I don't know where the acronym "DSC" came from. I've never seen it on NCL's site. The FAQ has listed it as "service charge" at least as far back as 2010 with almost identical wording to today. You can see the older versions of the site and FAQ at archive.org.

At some point they must have used the acronym but it's hard to find out where it came from.

LOL.....some are really claiming the DSC is not simply the companies name for the traditional passenger funded compensation of crew and the traditional gratuity is on top of that? Crazy talk.

It is their own program that replaced the traditional "tips in an envelope" just like every other line did. Of course they are the same.

Edited by ray98

Since there is an 18% gratuity added to specialty dining and beverage service, which is pretty much what we tip at local places at home, unless there was something fabulous about popping the top off the beer or pouring that glass of wine, I don't feel the need to tip extra. In the specialty dining venues, we have had exceptional service and a tip may be warranted. If we have had the same awesome waiter in the MDR for several meals, we have tipped him/her, and we always tip the room steward something - more or less depending on service.