After cruise sickness

Much is written about onboard sickness on cruises but not so much about after cruise illness.

My wife and I have just got back from P&O Ventura's cruise to Greece and Greek Islands and both started the trip with no health problems. Now we have the mother of all chest infections and judging by the coughing, sneezing and spluttering that went on all over the ship we are not the only ones. I know that it is inevitable that illness will spread in the confines of a ship but it does make me wonder if the pain is worth the gain.

Would be interested to hear from fellow suffers aboard Ventura or others.

Much is written about onboard sickness on cruises but not so much about after cruise illness.

My wife and I have just got back from P&O Ventura's cruise to Greece and Greek Islands and both started the trip with no health problems. Now we have the mother of all chest infections and judging by the coughing, sneezing and spluttering that went on all over the ship we are not the only ones. I know that it is inevitable that illness will spread in the confines of a ship but it does make me wonder if the pain is worth the gain.

Would be interested to hear from fellow suffers aboard Ventura or others.

Many CC threads about post cruise illness - use the search feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been struck down by the cruise cough on several occasions

not fun when it can last up to a month after the cruise

You are in enclosed space with hundreds of others

we try to be careful to avoid people sneezing & coughing without covering their faces

best you can do is make sure you are healthy before you go & wash your hands a lot

It is still worth cruising to us

The topic of so-called "cabin cough" has been a frequent issue on many CC boards over many years. Those who cruise frequently (we have often cruised over 100 days in single year) are all too familiar with the problem. My DW has come home with cabin cough on numerous cruises, and interestingly is has not been diagnosed as an infection...but more similar to an asthma condition (and DW does not have asthma), Our family physician has been able to successfully treat cabin cough using inhalers...but of course each person needs to be assessed and treated by their own physician. But why does it happen? Our physician has a theory that it is a combination of issues. One is that you have a large group of people in crowded circumstances which lends itself to the fast spreading of virus and bacterial infections. His other thought is that the relatively dry air on ships magnifies the situation by drying out the bodies mucous membranes...which make them less efficient at preventing respiratory issues. And then there is the other point of view that "stuff happens."

The OP's question about whether cruising is worth it (getting sick) is a good question. We have also had respiratory issues even when we take extended land trips. Since we generally travel independently, and are not part of a group, we now wonder how much of these issues are connected to commercial flying...and the oft talked about issue of germs/viruses on aircraft. We love to travel and will not be giving up our travel and cruising as we still feel the reward outweighs the risk.

Hank

The topic of so-called "cabin cough" has been a frequent issue on many CC boards over many years. Those who cruise frequently (we have often cruised over 100 days in single year) are all too familiar with the problem. My DW has come home with cabin cough on numerous cruises, and interestingly is has not been diagnosed as an infection...but more similar to an asthma condition (and DW does not have asthma), Our family physician has been able to successfully treat cabin cough using inhalers...but of course each person needs to be assessed and treated by their own physician. But why does it happen? Our physician has a theory that it is a combination of issues. One is that you have a large group of people in crowded circumstances which lends itself to the fast spreading of virus and bacterial infections. His other thought is that the relatively dry air on ships magnifies the situation by drying out the bodies mucous membranes...which make them less efficient at preventing respiratory issues. And then there is the other point of view that "stuff happens."

The OP's question about whether cruising is worth it (getting sick) is a good question. We have also had respiratory issues even when we take extended land trips. Since we generally travel independently, and are not part of a group, we now wonder how much of these issues are connected to commercial flying...and the oft talked about issue of germs/viruses on aircraft. We love to travel and will not be giving up our travel and cruising as we still feel the reward outweighs the risk.

Hank

Of course, any respiratory ailment should be diagnosed/treated by a licensed physician. That said, I am occasionally a victim of that type of bronchitis often referred to as "cabin cough." It most often happens after long intercontinental flights and can last for at least a couple of weeks.

My MD is in the "inhaler" camp. And I have the best outcome with a combo of ProAir (albuterol) and Advair 500.

Are you sure that the infection or virus is from the cruise? Most people take airplanes to get to cruise ports, are in busses on excursions, etc etc ... plenty of close-quarters transportation situations to make it easy to swap airborn germs. Not to mention the fact you're exposed to people from other locations, with their own germs that might not have been circulating in your home town.

Our main cruise is 28 days, so there's ample time for colds to be passed around- and yes, last year we suffered with the cold and cough, and noticed many others did... but this year, although I noticed a few nose blowers, I didn't hear much coughing at all, especially in the theatre or in lectures. No-one in our group of friends seemed to suffer.And... both cruises were on Ventura...

You have been closeted with thousands of others. Germs are bound to "go around". Lots of different sicknesses when groups gather.

You will get over it, eventually. Go to the doctor, if it doesn't subside soon.

Much is written about onboard sickness on cruises but not so much about after cruise illness.....

it does make me wonder if the pain is worth the gain.

The spread of various illnesses due to large numbers of people being in close quarters ( whether that be on a ship, an aircraft, or any other confined space) has been well documented, if you had researched it at all. The fact that the illness appeared after the cruise is secondary - it could just as easily have appeared before you disembarked. Or it could have been caused by exposure to something on the flight home.

So what is the alternative? Stay home for the rest of your life? Only vacation deep in the wilderness, far away from any other human?

I'd rather put up with the possibility of an annoying cough for a week or two. But if your health is otherwise precarious, perhaps cruising and travel by air are something you should avoid.

My husband is very susceptible to colds. I have seen people sneeze across the table, sneeze into their hand instead of their elbow, sneeze right into my face in the narrow hallway. We did not get sick on our last three 2 - 4 week cruises and the only major difference was that we ate at a table for two or ate with the same 2 passengers all the time who were healthy. Everything else was the same: frequent hand washing, disinfecting of light switches and other items that are frequently touched but not daily cleaned by the cabin steward.

On one of our group land trips, one gentleman wore a face mask just like the Japanese do when they have a cold or allergies. This would be an option for the plane ride.

My husband is very susceptible to colds. I have seen people sneeze across the table, sneeze into their hand instead of their elbow, sneeze right into my face in the narrow hallway. We did not get sick on our last three 2 - 4 week cruises and the only major difference was that we ate at a table for two or ate with the same 2 passengers all the time who were healthy. Everything else was the same: frequent hand washing, disinfecting of light switches and other items that are frequently touched but not daily cleaned by the cabin steward.

On one of our group land trips, one gentleman wore a face mask just like the Japanese do when they have a cold or allergies. This would be an option for the plane ride.

Just back from latest trip and slowly getting over head cold, sinus infection. No cruise this time, but two long plane trips. I always think it is the plane rather than the ship, but most people don't get symptoms until they have been on the ship for a couple of days and blame ship.

...it does make me wonder if the pain is worth the gain...

I'm sorry you are ill and I hope you feel better very soon. However, I don't think it does any good to speculate if you caught something on board ship, and put the future of future cruises in jeopardy. As mentioned, you could have contracted this at any point during your vacation, the airplane being a very likely culprit.

Just enjoy your good memories and try to forget this illness, if you can. I would hate for someone to give up cruising because they got sick afterward. I'm sure many people get sick on or after a vacation. Remember about the incubation period and where you might have actually picked this up.

Feel better. :)

The same thing happened to me on the Epic and I'm pretty neurotic about washing my hands, not touching handrails, etc. I blame the buffet and the people who were coughing all over it. I love HAL's way of pre-plating and serving, which minimizes the risk of catching something in the buffet. All of the washy-washy theatre in the world (I'm looking at you, NCL) is pretty much useless as soon as someone coughs and covers their mouth with their hand, then touches the serving utensils, or doesn't cover their mouth at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Norwegian Jewel Alaska May 20-27, 2017 severe "cabin cough". Both Husband (began Tues.) and myself (began Thurs) were/are ill with dry cough, chills fever, tiredness, body aches. 5 out of 10 from our town on cruise are ill. Would like to hear from others who were ill.

Found this blog from an ill passenger from the week before on the Jewel. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=577035

Found this link that describes what we all might have.

https://www.drugs.com/cg/pontiac-fever.html

INorwegian Jewel Alaska May 20-27, 2017 severe "cabin cough". Both Husband (began Tues.) and myself (began Thurs) were/are ill with dry cough, chills fever, tiredness, body aches. 5 out of 10 from our town are ill. Would like to hear from others who were ill.

Found this blog from an ill passenger from the week before on the Jewel. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=577035

Something to consider... could the "cabin cough" be a result of mold and mildew on a ship?

I have been reading about a recent World Cruise on an older Holland America ship. The reviewer was writing about cough / illness that seemed to develop after the first eleven days on the cruise. It has been reported that this ship has leaks,flooded cabins,and mold and mildew seen in the cabin bathrooms.

Reactions to such conditions can resemble respiratory infections or asthma.

I do have asthma and I am sensitive to mold/mildew . Breathing contaminated air can bring on a full blown asthma attack.

Perhaps the cruise lines need to be more proactive against mold/mildew situations on their ships. Dry docks should completely address all leaks, refitting carpet and furniture and totally cleaning mold/mildew situations.

True, this would be costly to the cruise lines, but passengers' health and welfare has great worth as well.

Norwegian Jewel Alaska May 20-27, 2017 severe "cabin cough". Both Husband (began Tues.) and myself (began Thurs) were/are ill with dry cough, chills fever, tiredness, body aches. 5 out of 10 from our town are ill. Would like to hear from others who were ill.

Norwegian Jewel Alaska May 20-27, 2017 severe "cabin cough". Both Husband (began Tues.) and myself (began Thurs) were/are ill with dry cough, chills fever, tiredness, body aches. 5 out of 10 from our town are ill. Would like to hear from others who were ill.

I've heard it referred to as "cruise crud" as well. On our last trans-Atlantic there was a lot of it going around, but fortunately we were spared. One of the couples we knew suffered for weeks after the cruise with the upper respiratory infection. I attribute our good health to daily doses of Vitamin C and alcohol, disguised as Grapefruit Cosmos and Strawberry Margaritas. ;p We're going to keep going with that Rx until it doesn't work any longer.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Pontiac Fever is a long shot for the respiratory issues many report on CC.