ANNUAL Travel Insurance

RetiredNow

I don't know which card you inquired about, but the paperwork with my card specifically includes $100,000 in medical benefits and 1 M in repatriation benefits, as well as a host of other things.

Stella, I'm right now looking at the AMEXCO Platnimum card & this is what it says about Medical expenses:

Complimentary medical evacuation (Platinum exclusive). If the Global Assist assigned physician deems it medically necessary, American Express will pay for transport for an ill or injured Cardmember or qualified family member travelling abroad back to the United States. If the physician deems this impossible, American Express will pay for transport to the nearest facility the physician deems suitable. This does not cover medical expenses incurred at the facility, only transportation.

If I could find a card which would cover both DH (who is over 85) & me, I would give up purchasing travel Insurance for each cruise..

I'm still looking into annual Medical/Repatriation policies which will cover us both..

Perhaps your card was issued outside the U.S. or you are grandfathered in..

This is the Web site for the Platnimum card:

http://milecards.com/1259/american-express-platinum-card-full-benefits-guide/

Another poster suggested I look at Travel Guard Annual policy which I did..Their Travel Rite policy is over $500 for us but only has

$10,000 in Medical which is not enough..

It does include $100,000 in Evacuation but again only $10,000 in Medical, which I'm sure most agree is not enough..

Fortunately DH still has his Medical insurance from his company AT&T which pays for Medical out of the country, although they changed to United Health Care & I'm still looking at his covered expenses..

Edited by serendipity1499

Stella - I noted that your travel benefits carried USS/euro numbers. That surprised me because the USD does not equal one euro. Was your AmEx issued outside the U.S.

Also, not all AmEx Platinum card carry the same benefits. I previously held Platinum Delta AA card, which did not have the same benefits as one issued directly by AmEx w/o an airline affiliation. This may account for the present confusion among posters.

We are also Canadian and for years bought multi trip travel health insurance from Blue Cross. When I read the fine print I found it did not cover evacuation from sea. That could cost up to $50,000 for a helicopter evacuation.

I have since bought from Cooperators Insurance. It is multi trip up to 125 days per trip with $10 million limit per person. We are both under 60 and the cost is about $1200 a year.

We winter in Florida and go back to Canada for the holidays. That's the reason for 125 days.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just to clarify, in the rare cases where there is a helicopter evacuation of a cruise ship...the cost of that helicopter is free to the passenger. All air evacs off cruise ships are handled by either the Coast Guard (of any country) or the military (this is rare...but we have seen it). By international agreement there is no charge for those services. The air Evac policies only work from land based hospitals. In fact, nearly all the air evac policies will have specific language about only doing evacuations from hospitals. No question that international travelers should have evacuation insurance (we are actually covered through 2 different policies). But you will not need that to get you off the ship.

Hank

Also enjoying your posts on this thread :). I can still recall being in a meeting (about 15 years ago) at work when the issue of whether high cholesterol is a "condition" or simply a "risk factor." I don't think we could ever come to an agreement on that issue :). Or better yet, at what level would it change from a risk factor to a condition? That is why I enjoyed my career. No two days were the same...and many of our decisions where made on a case by case basis. What is even more maddening are conditions such as hypertension and diabetes. These are clearly pre-existing conditions....but what if you are not even aware you have these conditions. Millions of folks are walking around with both of those conditions and do not have a clue. So, as far as the insurers are concerned, they don't really have those conditions (since they do not know). But once diagnosed....then it becomes a condition (and pre existing condition). So a person who is under good medical care and being treated for hypertension...is likely a good risk. Yet the insurer might screw this person....but have no recourse with the other person who is unaware of their condition. This creates the strange situation where a person who seek proper medical care (and follows medical advice) is penalized by insurers...when compared to a person who totally ignores any medical care. We recently read one European medical policy which actually penalized a person for seeing a physician on an annual (or more frequent basis)....but had no penalty for the person who never went to a physician...even if they were ill. Go figure.

Hank

Who ever said life if is fair? If they said so, they were mistaken. The world is not fair.

Since so much of 'common knowledge' with respect to cholesterol comes f from the very old Framingham study, distinction i s now made between LDL and HDL. For decades, all cholesterol was termed bad. I seems progress is being made in distinguishing and more understand ing of cholesterol.

Edited by sail7seas

I wish insurance companies would clearly spell out exactly what a pre-existing condition is. For example, DH (mid sixties) takes daily, low dose cholesterol which keeps his cholesterol readings well within the normal range. We are both healthy, fit, active, and have no medical issues. But does taking cholesterol mean that he has a pre-existing cardiac condition?

When researching annual medical plans and looking at their health questionnaires, none specifically ask about cholesterol. They ask about cardiac issues. No-one on the phone can interpret whether or not DH's cholesterol medication means that he has a pre-existing condition. And if we check the box that says no pre-existing conditions might that mean a claim could be denied, even if he trips and injures himself by falling, or experiences any other non cholesterol related event?

We book our annual out-of-country medical emergency plan through our Canadian bank and so far have never needed to claim anything in all of our land trips and cruises, but I always worry about the interpretation of that pre-existing conditions situation.....

Fortunately, I have never had to make a claim but stories about denied claims are scary. Marketplace in Canada did a show several years ago about how the questions could trip up so many people.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2012-episodes/tripped-up

To Chrislynn - who is your insurance underwriter?

Fortunately, I have never had to make a claim but stories about denied claims are scary. Marketplace in Canada did a show several years ago about how the questions could trip up so many people.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2012-episodes/tripped-up

To Chrislynn - who is your insurance underwriter?

I did see the Marketplace segment and that's what actually started me thinking about DH's medical status should we ever need to make a claim. Scary stuff!

Our insurance is through CIBC and our policy says it's "TIC travel insurance".

Thanks for Squaremouth recommendation, OlsSalt. I could not find reasonably priced annual policies on the insuremytrip or geoblue websites, will check more thoroughly before our next international travels.

Thanks for Squaremouth recommendation, OlsSalt. I could not find reasonably priced annual policies on the insuremytrip or geoblue websites, will check more thoroughly before our next international travels.

I keep coming back to DAN when I go looking for travel medical coverage. If you don't put in the trip cancellation feature (set that amount at <$1,000) you can get a better idea what just the medical plans will look like.

Yes Stella, we have seen that brochure and even questioned AMEX about it (on the phone). If you look at the fine print on the last page it is issued by AMEX Europe! Those benefits do not apply to cards issued in the USA. In fact if you look further the underwriter for the insurance is a German Insurance company (not licensed to sell insurance in most states).

My suggestion, if that medical benefit is important to you is that you call the AMEX number on the back of your card and ask if you do, indeed, have that coverage.. When we did that we were eventually transferred to their insurance folks who told us those benefits do not apply to US based cards. I sincerely hope they are wrong....

And there are other things in that brochure that do not apply to US Cards. For example, it says you get rental car insurance on cars "anywhere in the world." But the US cards specifically exclude certain countries such as Ireland, Israel, and Jamaica. I do think that brochure is very misleading because it does not say it is for European Cards.

By the way, you could always call them at the numbers listed in that brochure which are:

PLATINUM SERVICE: +44 (0) 845 608 0845 and press option 2.EMERGENCY MEDICAL ASSISTANCE: +44 (0) 845 456 6523.

Those are phone numbers for the UK which is the headquarters of AMEX Europe.

And here is the Pasting from the last page:

American Express Services Europe Limited. Registered office: Belgrave House, 76 Buckingham Palace Road, London SW1W 9AX, UK.Registered in England and Wales with Number 1833139.americanexpress.com/eurodollar

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Covering the ship's doctor is another area that can be fraught with high costs and insurance repayment complexities. Hope others can provide stories about using any of the ship's medical services. And how they got reimbursement; if any from either their regular medical plans or any additional travel medical plans.

While on a b2b RCCL, then HAL, my husband took a nasty fall down the steep stairs in the upper balcony in the theater on the Rhapsody. It was horrific to watch, because he turned his head to talk to me while stepping down, and completely missed the step. He fell in an instant, twisted his body sideways to avoid falling on his face, and bounced down the steps to crash into the balcony wall with his head and shoulders. Terrifying to watch.

He had no obvious injuries to begin with, but once on the HAL ship he started having serious pinched nerve-like back pain. We went to the ship's doctor, paid upfront for everything, which was an exam and pain medication, then submitted the bills to Kaiser Senior Advantage when we got home. We were reimbursed all but $25 in copays for the office visit and the medication.

The part that wasn't reimbursed was the acupuncture treatments that cost $450. They did much more good than the pain meds, and he would have had pretty severe after effects without that treatment on the ship. As it was, it took 6 months to completely heal.

• 2 years later...
On 5/2/2017 at 9:53 PM, serendipity1499 said:

We don't need cancellation insurance but do need Medical.. DH is older than 85 & I have not found an annual travel medical policy which would cover him..

Therefore we buy one for each trip since they do not require ages to be entered..:cool:

Where did you find the travel insurance that did not require ages? All the ones I've used in the past required your ages, as they base the premium off the total cost and age of covered individuals. 

Cheers, 

5 minutes ago, drowelf said:

Where did you find the travel insurance that did not require ages? All the ones I've used in the past required your ages, as they base the premium off the total cost and age of covered individuals. 

Cheers, 

It's my understanding that the insurance purchased through the cruise line often doesn't require ages.  Only if you go with 3rd party insurance do they ask for it.

• Like 1

For our last few cruises we have taken out a single trip policy.  I originally found it on Squaremouth.com and it's through CF Travel Insured International - Worldwide Trip Protector.  I was primarily concerned about medical and evacuation coverage.  This particular policy is $100,000 medical and $1M evacuation.  The bonus on this policy is that the medical is primary coverage which is pretty hard to find.   Thankfully we haven't had to use it but it's nice to know it's there.

Helen

Edited by HELENPSL

As USAA members we do single trip and they contract with CF Travel Insured International. Great USAA discount, excellent coverage as stated above. Wishing they would do an annual policy. (They might just haven't looked into it but will now that we are traveling more often)  Wish I had found this years ago, could have saved a bundle with much better coverage.            

Also confirming Hanks great posts-we have Amex Platinum US for both business and personal. These cards will never cover everything or replace a decent independent policy. Bit's and pieces perhaps but not enough in case something catastrophic happens. Great cards for us for different reasons-comprehensive international travel insurance is not one of them.        

Edited by Crusinsusan2
Adding

17 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

It's my understanding that the insurance purchased through the cruise line often doesn't require ages.  Only if you go with 3rd party insurance do they ask for it.

That is generally true.  But it is also a case where you get what you pay for :).  Most cruise line travel policies have wholly inadequate medical limits (often no more than $10,000).  While these plans might be a good deal for senior seniors (who cannot purchase a decent third party policy) they are often a very bad deal for other cruisers.  

Hank

A number of years ago our business travel TA called me at home in the evening.  I had recommended her to my retired parents who were planning a cruise.

They booked the cruise.  My father kept asking her about travel insurance.  She was very obtuse.  She called me that evening to pass on a message to my parents.  The message was simple.....don't by travel insurance from my agency.  Or any other agency for that matter and especially not from the travel provider.  She could hardly say that while at her place of business.   She asked me to give my parents the heads up and to direct them to Blue Cross (my father had this through his pension).

Bottom line.  One year of Blue Cross travel coverage for out of country trips (all/any amount) of no more than 21 days each was almost the same price as a single trip policy from the travel agency.  But the real difference was the coverage.  The Blue Cross travel policy eclipsed the travel agent policy in all areas of coverage including dollar limitations.

Edited by iancal

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

That is generally true.  But it is also a case where you get what you pay for :).  Most cruise line travel policies have wholly inadequate medical limits (often no more than $10,000).  While these plans might be a good deal for senior seniors (who cannot purchase a decent third party policy) they are often a very bad deal for other cruisers.  

Hank

Agreed.

We have Medicare and a BC-BS secondary that is "provided" by my retirement system.  (Provided as long as I pay for it).  The BC-BS people told me that it will cover me "anywhere in the world" EXCEPT on a cruise ship.  We always buy a travel policy that will provide us a decent amount of medical coverage just in case something should happen.  BUT we do not insure the entire cost of the trip.  We also have a VISA that will reimburse us up to $1,500 of cancellation costs.  I would not want to lose the cost of the trip, but could absorb it.  I would really not want to be out-of-pocket for a LOT of medical cost.

On 5/5/2017 at 7:59 AM, Stella1250 said:

I live in New York. Just got that card and all of those benefits are included. I called and spoke to someone to be sure before I applied. I just got tired of paying for ins. for each trip.

Works fine for single card holders.  Not so much if your spouse does not have the card.  Will have to get a separate policy for him.