Yes or No Flying in on the day of Departure

ronandcarla

We have been going at least the day before from our very first cruise and no one told us to do so. Be it driving or flying we always go the day before as we look at it as part of the vacation, getting to the port early and spending the day then going out to eat a nice dinner in the evening. we get up the next morning, have breakfast then head to the ship refreshed! The last time we cruised out of San Juan we went two days early as an extension of the vacation. Even driving you can run into problems. We left driving to Port Canaveral the day before one of our cruises and an hour out on I-95 there was a bad bus accident and traffic had to be detoured off of I-95. We had planned on arriving in Cocoa Beach about 1:00 and did not arrive until after 5:00. If it would have been the day of the cruise we would have missed the ship.

If I am going out of Baltimore or Miami I will go in the morning of sail. If it's Ft Lauderdale,New Jersey the day before. Will never sail out of San Juan again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just curious why those choices for those ports. We go the day before for all cruises, because we like starting our vacation with a relaxing night near a port, and we like boarding the ship early. But if it was necessary, I wouldn't have a problem with arriving the day of to FLL, Bayonne, or San Juan, because it's so quick and easy to get from the airport to those ports.

Just curious why those choices for those ports. We go the day before for all cruises, because we like starting our vacation with a relaxing night near a port, and we like boarding the ship early. But if it was necessary, I wouldn't have a problem with arriving the day of to FLL, Bayonne, or San Juan, because it's so quick and easy to get from the airport to those ports.

The reason I do the Baltimore and Miami day of is, there is direct flights. And the departure is 5am every day, the plane is already at the airport. Ft Lauderdale, Tampa , New Jersey, Are not direct. Have to go thru Atlanta. So I go in early for them.

The reason I do the Baltimore and Miami day of is, there is direct flights. And the departure is 5am every day, the plane is already at the airport. Ft Lauderdale, Tampa , New Jersey, Are not direct. Have to go thru Atlanta. So I go in early for them.

It makes sense to have a direct flight. I usually prefer the earliest flight if the planes are already at your airport and less chance of any delays.

It makes sense to have a direct flight. I usually prefer the earliest flight if the planes are already at your airport and less chance of any delays.

We agree that day before is best if you can do it, but sometimes that may not be what you can do. That echos my thoughts based on a lot of business travel. I can only remember one early flight ever being delayed and it was a plane change that took about an hour or so. Years ago we would fly in "day of" because we did not know any better. Once we figured out that going a day o two early allows us to wind down and enjoy the pre-cruise stay we have been doing that and really enjoy the extended vacation. This year we are flying in day of again because of flight schedules, flight costs, and hotel availability and costs. We have a very early flight so we have some buffer for delays and it is a direct flight. We are still a little nervous and will miss our extra day but we do what we have to to make it work.

I think it's always better to fly in the day before. We have only flown in twice the day of in 30 cruises. First cruise when we didn't know any better and the last due to to an medical emergency situation. Both times we made it with our bags with an hour or so to spare.

It's just not a relaxing way to start a cruise and its ALWAYS risky. Even if you do a non stop the plane can have mechanical issues and there's always weather. We have had both when traveling. Three times we've had bags delayed and would have not cruised with luggage had it not been the day before. I would rather pay one night in a hotel then take the risk.

If you do fly in the day of...get a non stop, earliest flight in the day and pack a carryon with essentials for a week. Get to airport more then an hour early to check your bags. And most important get travel insurance.

I have always flown in on the day of departure- unless i have to fly over to Europe for a mediterranean cruise and i have always been very fortunate to not have a problem BUT- i think it is just that- luck- i have heard many horror stories of delayed planes, missing the ship etc.

Ah, those further details explain a lot. Great reason.

Funny, we don't have direct flights many places, but we do have them to Newark and FLL. Not San Juan, but with an 8:30 pm sailaway, I'd push that a little later if I really had to.

Luckily we are at the point in our lives -- not retired, but close enough to be able to take generous time off -- that we can add that extra day before the cruise to have a relaxing start to a cruise vacation.

Im lucky enough to have 2 ports about 5 miles and 25 miles away from home but we sailed from puerto rico once booking the fly for the same day. We use american which is most of the time on time and we got delayed for 5 hrs. We made it in time since departure was really late compared to south florida ports.

From now on I fly the day before, there is 2 much at stake if I loose the ship. I rather fly the day before than purchasing insurance.

With the exception of our first cruise (when we didn't know any better), we always fly in a day early :). My inlaws didn't take our advice, and they missed the ship once, due to flying down the same day and encountering storm delays- their connection got delayed. I guess if I were to fly down the same day, I'd at least want a direct flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If I am going out of Baltimore or Miami I will go in the morning of sail. If it's Ft Lauderdale,New Jersey the day before. Will never sail out of San Juan again.

Ok, I have to ask: Why does Ft. Lauderdale warrant going the day before, by for Miami you are fine with flying in the day of the cruise? Just curious why the difference for those particular port.

In the case of a bad snowstorm, twice I've just turned up at the airport and said "hey, I'm supposed to fly out in the middle of that snowstorm ..." and both times I got accommodated on flights the day before. If there's room, they'd rather have a person get to their destination and not need re-accommodation when everything's about to turn to chaos.

The reason you were so easily accommodated is that if there was a big snowstorm predicted, the airline had almost certainly issued what they call a "weather waiver" for your particular airport and day of travel. If you try to change your flight prior to a weather waiver being officially issued, the airline will usually require a change fee be paid.

Then our second flight is out of Atlanta (Uh Oh).

Just curious....why "uh oh" about ATL?

RCL's Choice Air has no problem booking people on same day flights. Make of that what you will.

1. Regardless of how one books, most of the time a same day flight will work out. Occasionally it won't though, and everyone has their own level of risk tolerance as far as that goes. Choice Air is playing the odds. It works out often enough that when they have to come out of pocket to reaccommodate someone, it's not that big a deal to them.

2. If they didn't let you fly in the same day, and REQUIRED you to fly the day before, can you imagine the complaints they'd get? Not to mention they would be paying for everyone for a hotel the night before. Cheaper to accommodate a few pax here and there than pay for a hotel the night before for absolutely everyone that books.

As for me, if cruising from Europe I fly in at least 2 days early; partly to allow a cushion and partly because we usually want to sightsee in the departure city. If cruising from the US, I almost always fly in a day early, just to avoid stress and worry. I have flown in the day of the cruise once or twice, but only when it was a 3 day cruise; if I missed that, it wouldn't be the end of the world and I wouldn't be out all that much money. And when I did fly in same day, I packed carry on only so that my bags were always with me.

Ok, I have to ask: Why does Ft. Lauderdale warrant going the day before, by for Miami you are fine with flying in the day of the cruise? Just curious why the difference for those particular port.

I don't think there are many differences but I prefer port of miami over Fort Lauderdale.

Port of miami and airport are well organized, big ships are going to sail from Miami now, I don't see myself sailing from Fort Lauderdale now.

I don't think there are many differences but I prefer port of miami over Fort Lauderdale.

Port of miami and airport are well organized, big ships are going to sail from Miami now, I don't see myself sailing from Fort Lauderdale now.

Fair enough. Most people seem to prefer the airport of FLL over MIA, so I just wondered.

Hello everyone! I hope I'm asking a question that hasn't been asked and answered before, but I've searched and can't find my answer. I am going on a Western Med cruise in June and am a Rogers wireless customer in Canada and eligible for Roam like Home which is significantly cheaper than using the wifi on the ship. I am hoping to connect to wifi while on this port intense itinerary but would use Roam like Home as needed. Is there any problems connecting using Roam like Home from the ship when it is docked in port? Since Roam like Home charges per 24 hour period, I would be connecting in more then one port in a given 24 hour period - is this a problem? Thanks for any advice.

Many

The nice thing about Hollywood International as opposed to Miami is the proximity to the port. Hell if traffic was bad you could walk from the pier to the planes.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I believe the reason many use FLL over MIA is $$$. One can catch Airlines sales going into FLL, that combined with transfer fees, is less than using MIA. One doesn't see many sales now days for flights into MIA. Forget traffic considerations, forget other time constraints that might occur, if they can save $20 by flying into FLL they do so.

My guess, as more of the major cruise lines shift their operations toward Miami, the increased demand at MIA will mean even fewer low fares going in there.

When I fly I always compare prices from MIA[emoji928] and FLL[emoji929], yes FLL might be 20-30 [emoji957]cheaper but not worth the hassle.

FLL port compared to MIA port is small and ugly. If you are sailing on the oasis class the terminal is beautiful but getting there is a caos, one single lane for most of the port[emoji594]. Confused drivers don't go where is the pick up-drop off area since they just tell you to keep moving[emoji601]. If you don't know what you are doing chances are you will go around the port twice. On the other hand MIA's port is huge and like 3 or 4 lanes[emoji614]. There is no rush to drop of pick passengers ( no one is telling you to keep going)[emoji128]. The view for the sail away is amazing and the vibe is different [emoji907]

I'm so glad oasis class ship are heading to MIA[emoji3]

I just went on my 8th cruise and it was the first time I flew in a day ahead. I had more issues this time than any of the 7 previous when I flew in the day of and got the shuttle to the ship. Due to time of year and recent airport issues and all the warnings I read on blogs like this one, lol, I decided not to chance it. I was so stressed out by the time I got on the ship due to transportation to the hotel and ship and also the actual hotel, I couldn't relax the entire cruise. For me I've decided its not necessary to fly in the day before.

I always fly in a day or two early and stay in port post cruise for at least a day.

It is all about making the most of my vacation,hotel, cruise, hotel and plenty of exploring.

Flying from MN it takes time, time zone changes, to get anywhere and at least one connection.

I do not want any hassle with flight delays or missing a connection or weather events to spoil my vacation.

I have only done one Caribbean cruise and will never do another one. Not my cup of tea.... But doing a TA from PR to Barcelona next Spring. Flying in two days early and staying two night after cruise. I absolutely HATE getting off ship and going to airport. Only did that once, never again......

While there are certainly scenarios where flying in a day or two early still result in a missed cruise, the odds are definitely more in your favor. The added peace of mind is well worth a night or two in a hotel, and meals etc.

For me it does not matter if my cruise is departing from 50 miles away in San Francisco Tampa, Fort Lauderdale or Rome I will fly in or drive in one day before and stay a couple of days after the cruise. Its a necessity that I will never ever ever forgo. To me paying $100+ to save it by not having to be that one rushing to the pier to make the cruise is worth it.

I try and book Frequent Flier Tickets or buy them on my own so flying in a day is necessary. Now there was one time out of San Juan when our travel agent booked us on the redeye using Cruise Air on our First Cruise and I flew back from Barcelona the day the cruise arrived. Never again.

You see even if it means arriving late vs very close to the cruise checkin cutoff time I would much rather arrive at 10 PM if my flight is delayed than 3:00 PM and miss the boat.

To me those who decide to gamble are by all means fine to do so. Now if I need to get home and don't spend the night coming home from LA that is fine but I would avoid it due to construction at LAX. Would be better to pay the $80 to stay over at an LAX Airport or Long Beach hotel.

How can I have sympathy for a family who booked a flight that was oversold and missed the cruise becaue they decided to fly in the day of the cruise.

Currently airports like LAX and SFO are undergoing maintenance and your flight could be delayed 2 hours+.

For our upcoming cruise from Tampa-Amsterdam I got the Tampa Westin Harbour .08 miles from the pier with a free shuttle. To me knowing that we are just an 11-20 minute walk along the River Walk or 2-3 minute ride to the pier is the most secure feeling in the world when cruising. Plus easy walking to restaurants a free shuttle at night to anywhere within a 3 mile radius and a 20-35 minute Uber/Lyft ride from TPA where you can celebrate upon arrival at your hotel the night before you sail is a very good feeling.

A dip in the pool followed by drinks and dinner nothing like it. Then you have a nice sleep and can have a morning at leisure and even sleep in and make it on board by 11:30 AM or the earliest boarding time and eat lunch and just eat a light breakfast or skip it after a good dinner the night before.