Husband says my suitcase is too small

zitsky

On long overseas flights, I don't want excess carry on to deal. A backpack that handles my camera and lenses, Bose headphones, and a kindle. Period. Nothing to drag around or to keep up with! I wrap my purchases and put them in checked baggage unless fragile, when I hand carry them. I've never understood this passion to drag everything along as carry on. Each to his own. I did like the 90s when the X-ray machines rejected all oversized luggage and made those owners return to check in and check to luggage.

On long overseas flights, I don't want excess carry on to deal. A backpack that handles my camera and lenses, Bose headphones, and a kindle. Period. Nothing to drag around or to keep up with! I wrap my purchases and put them in checked baggage unless fragile, when I hand carry them. I've never understood this passion to drag everything along as carry on. Each to his own. I did like the 90s when the X-ray machines rejected all oversized luggage and made those owners return to check in and check to luggage.

I agree. I check a medium size suitcase, and carry a backpack and my purse on board. The 2 main items in the backpack are my camera and the medication part of my toiletry case. I just replaced my luggage (both my carry-on and my checked size) with much lighter luggage; I know it won't be as durable, but it is way lighter. For me as a single traveller, I need to be able to move all of my stuff by myself. Purse over my shoulder, knapsack on top of it, and a roller bag. The only time recently that I have had an issue was 2 years ago (before I bought the lighter luggage) when I had to get from Amsterdam airport to a B&B in Bruges Belgium at the beginning of a barge and cycle trip. Having to carry a fair amount of cycling gear as well as regular clothes for a trip of about 3 weeks, made the suitcase quite heavy, and I had to get it up onto the train in Amsterdam, and then I walked to my B&B (because I'm cheap). I would have been better to take a cab, but I really don't do that very often.

I don't have a passion for carry-on, personally, but if we can pack light, and there's room in the cabin, I would rather not wait around for my luggage. Or lose it, which I've almost done twice, once this last winter when we checked our bags on a 30-day trip. It helps thta we try to travel business, or at least premium economy, which means not so much competition for space.

Just to be clear, I only bring along a carryon size piece of luggage per person, plus a personal bag (purse for women, backback for men) on any trip, but I DO CHECK the carryon size bag, always. I don't like fooling with it on the plane, or on layovers.

I prefer the packing light method for ease of travel, efficiency, and not being weighed down by so much stuff and large, heavy baggage, but I don't prefer it so that I can bring the bag on the plane.

Packing light can be done on any trip, we've attended a wedding in Iceland on our way to a bike trip around Wales, and lots of trips that had converse itineraries or weather, but I don't think people should feel obligated to pack light. I'm a firm believer in doing whatever you are comfortable with. I travel with my Mom often, and she likes to bring lots and lots of stuff, as she prefers options; sometimes she brings an absurd amount and happily admits to it, as this is what she is comfortable with, and I think this is very important. It is each person's vacation to be done as makes them happy.

I only teach the packing class not to convert people, but because over the years many people have inquired as to how to pack lighter and have shown an interest in doing so, but I agree, it's not a must.

We sometimes check and sometimes carry. I particularly like to carry everything on when we're coming home and need to drive from JFK to Albany.

Between Global Entry and carry-on bags only, we can get from gate to airport exit in 10 minutes or less. Every minute counts when you have a 3h drive home and your internal clock says it's past bedtime...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

One thing to keep in mind is that many purchases can be shipped to your home instead of having to bring them home yourself. They usually show up about 6 weeks later and have always been well-packed and I have never had anything arrive broken.

We typically hire a car service to drop us at the airport and pick us up, so if we get in at some odd hour after many hours in flight, we don't have to drive tired. A lot of times this comes out only a little more in cost to parking at the airport for the duration of our trip. The assistance with our luggage from the airport to the car and from the car into our house is most appreciated and it's great to be able to just sit back and relax until we get home.

We sometimes check and sometimes carry...

Between Global Entry and carry-on bags only, we can get from gate to airport exit in 10 minutes or less. Every minute counts...

I agree. I like the freedom of traveling carry on only, but this is a challenge with non US based carriers, and that is typically who we fly with. We also DIY before/after or for the entire trip and find that smaller, lighter bags are much easier on trains and public transportation.

If we brought smaller bags, I have no idea how we would bring back the 20 skeins of wool sock yarn that my wife has bought in the last 2 weeks in Scotland.

And I'm told that it is saving me a lot of money, since it is so much cheaper here....:).

But of course us wife's are always right! Scottish fine yarn is superb I usually bring some! home from are yearly trip north of the border.

Returning to luggage I do have a challenge where carry ons are concerned as in the past on both long and short haul flights there has been no room in the overhead compartments because of the number of them, at least more recently the size is more controlled. We have also recently seen people with carry ons having to check them in, they were not happy bunnies. Happy packing CA

For those that attempt to (over)stuff carry on , some of the European Airlines are now weighing carry on bags with a fairly low weight limit (10or 11 kg). Over the weight limit and the bag must be checked along with any associated fees for checked baggage.

Also flyers must beware of the new Basic Economy (BE) tickets that UAL and others are currently introducing. They allow zero (0) carry on other than a purse.

The windows are closing on those trying to escape baggage fees.

But of course us wife's are always right! Scottish fine yarn is superb I usually bring some! home from are yearly trip north of the border.

Returning to luggage I do have a challenge where carry ons are concerned as in the past on both long and short haul flights there has been no room in the overhead compartments because of the number of them, at least more recently the size is more controlled. We have also recently seen people with carry ons having to check them in, they were not happy bunnies. Happy packing CA

Folks, some great advantages to planning to gate check your carry-ons: you don't have to struggle finding space overhead, you DON'T have to pay a checked-bag fee, and most important, you KNOW your bag will make it with you & not get lost. I always plan to do that these days--I just make sure my meds & electronics are in my tote. Plus! From time to time, when I've volunteered to gate-check my bag, the agents have been so happy that they let me board early with first class.

Edited by sofietucker

Obviously sofietucker didn't read my post. Many of the Airlines are now cracking down on oversized and/or overweight carry on. If that carry on fits either category they are now mandating the gate check plus paying the baggage fee. Additionally, that fee, at the gate, is for that flight only, so if you try walking onto flight 2 or 3 with the same bag, they'll slam you with the fees each leg, instead of just once if you had properly checked it the first time.

Add to that, for revenue and space purchases, they are cracking down on the number of carry on . A backpack and a roller (or a garment bag) is 1+1=2. People are being stopped at the gate and forced to gate check along with the appropriate fee, if they are only allowed one carry on. A personal item is a person or a small fragile item, not a backpack or two wheeled smaller suitcases! Then see above about the multiplex effect with multiple legs. The rules of the game are changing, and what one got away with six months to a year ago will probably cost them money today. Previous Lax rules are now being enforced. Future passengers had better start reading the fine print for those "cheap " airfares they demand. Times are changing, and old tricks are easy to catch .

A personal item is a person or a small fragile item, not a backpack or two wheeled smaller suitcases!

Personal item is a person? Hope that's a typo.;p But also - this REALLY depends on your airline. A backpack or other bag that fits under the seat in front of you is what non-budget US airlines mean by "personal item". But the only thing that matters is that you know the rules of ALL the airlines you will be flying, and pack for the most restrictive of them....

Probably a purse, not a person. Though I saw a few ingenious schemes in the Berlin Wall museum, where small people were smuggled out of East Berlin in suitcases...

We each carried on one 21/22" rollaboard to and from Europe last week, plus a backpack each. We knew we could do this in business class with DL/AF. We also could have checked them. We preferred to hit the ground running and not wait for luggage delivery. Our choice.

When we flew Easyjet from Berlin to Copenhagen, we read their rules very carefully before booking. We knew that the 21" would be ok to carry on (because we paid extra for seat assignments up front), and we knew that we'd have to check the 22" bag. So I prepaid for that checked bag online, when booking.

Absolutely, know the rules. Agree that many non-US carriers are comparatively quite strict about luggage limits. We are spoiled here.

Indigo, which we flew from Jaipur to Kolkata in February, has a 15kg checked bag limit, and a 6 or 7 kg carryon limit. And they did weigh them! Because we can pack light, and I read the rules, we were under those linits. So now I have some rupees left over as souvenirs for the nieces and nephews. :)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Up and Chris;

Thanks, I did mean purse not person. Remember, what you may be able to carry on and do with a business class ticket/seat may be different than if the ticket is for Economy Class. Now, it will even vary if it is a Basic Economy ticket. Versus a regular Economy ticket. New fare classes, new rules. With the new Basic Economy ticket being sold by US and AA, NO carry on period. Woman gets her purse and the guy gets what he'll hold in his hand.

With the exception of our members of the military, the days of people carrying on huge back packs is about to come to and end also, per some of Airlines magazines. If the backpack won't pit in the carry on display rack, pay at the door, before boarding, will be the new policy.

With the new Basic Economy ticket being sold by US and AA, NO carry on period. Woman gets her purse and the guy gets what he'll hold in his hand.

That's gender discrimination! I will bring a man-purse ;p

Funny, the opposite is true for me - I am able to pack lighter (and fewer shoes) for cold weather. I have more experience at it (we tend to prefer Europe Nov-Jan) but I generally feel most people just see my coat, so I bring lovely scarves and if I wear the same 2 sweaters and 2 prs pants or one merino dress underneath all week (changing out/washing base layers) who will notice??

Same here.

I try to pack light but my husband doesn't. Who's going to notice if I've worn the same dress shirt to dinner twice or even three times?

I completely agree. I don't wear a top just once at home before washing it. Why should I do it on a trip?

One of the perks of being a repeat customer on Uniworld is they will do a bag of laundry for you for free. One bag per week per person ! Makes packing easier knowing you don't need to bring as much.

And I don't notice if you wear the same thing as long as you don't notice that I wear something more than once as well :)

RB