Best time to do Alaska cruise

I don't think there is a universal "best" time. Weather is unpredictable and changes rapidly. We went in June, and the long days were very nice, but some there was still enough ice in one of the inlets that we had to go to another.

We went the first week of August and the ice did not interfere with the ship. The weather was cool but a lightweight jacket was sufficient. I would probably recommend that the later the better or the ship might not be able to navigate the fjords. Late August or September. My favorite cruise. Hands down.

Living north of Seattle, for over 30 years, and doing Alaska many times, the weather is always a crap shoot, but normally, the month of July or first two weeks of August are the best windows of time for better weather from Seattle/Vancouver to Alaska.

Our yacht club boats make the journey every year, starting in late April/early May, and returning in Late September or early October so we/they have experienced it all.

Expect to layer up as needed, and pack a windbreaker/rain coat, but normally temps in the 70's with little rain.

About mid August, the potential opens for periods of fog in Alaska to develop, but usually burns off during the day.

We have done many September big ship cruises and it has been beautiful, as well as foggy and cool/rainy.

May-to mid June will be cool with better chance of rains, but not predictable.

Just layer up, go, and enjoy it. There is so much beauty to see and experience.

Living north of Seattle, for over 30 years, and doing Alaska many times, the weather is always a crap shoot, but normally, the month of July or first two weeks of August are the best windows of time for better weather from Seattle/Vancouver to Alaska.

Our yacht club boats make the journey every year, starting in late April/early May, and returning in Late September or early October so we/they have experienced it all.

Expect to layer up as needed, and pack a windbreaker/rain coat, but normally temps in the 70's with little rain.

About mid August, the potential opens for periods of fog in Alaska to develop, but usually burns off during the day.

We have done many September big ship cruises and it has been beautiful, as well as foggy and cool/rainy.

May-to mid June will be cool with better chance of rains, but not predictable.

Just layer up, go, and enjoy it. There is so much beauty to see and experience.

Thank you. This kind of insight is really useful. And thanks to the OP for starting the discussion.

We just got off Explorer on Saturday. We went over memorial day. We had great weather! No rain, little bugs, sun set around 1030 every night. The weather was 65+ most days. We were extremely happy with the weather.

Weather changes in Alaska...like it does in Florida. Total crap shoot...but of my three Alaska cruises, the first one

was early June. Was cold, cloudy, and did not see any calving of the glaciers.

Next time was early August, and got very lucky with actually unusually warm and sunny weather (though we heard that the three previous cruises had nothing but rain the whole time).

This last time was two weeks (B2B) mid August and also had perfect weather with lots of dramatic calving

at the glacier and beautiful clear skies to witness the beauty of the land...wonderful! :D

I'd say July and August have the best chance of good weather. However, the prices then are significantly higher. Between May and September, I much prefer May (we've done both). The days are significantly longer, and there is more ice/snow in the scenery, so it seems more Alaska-like. May and September will also both have nearly no kids on the ship, and June/July/August will likely have some (although not as nearly as many as Caribbean itineraries). Also keep in mind if your itinerary has Tracy Arm, ships very rarely make it very far early on in the season, and often divert to Edicott arm. If your itinerary has Glacier Bay, time of year won't be an issue at all.

We went last year the first week of May. Got rained out in Juneau but the rest of the trip was wonderful. The best part about going so early in the season is that no other cruise ships were docked at the same time as we were.

We have done in early June and July. We preferred June. There was more ice but it made it nice as seals were on broken away ice going past the ship. By July the ice was minimal and was nowhere near as scenic for us. Even when we did the train ride to the top of the mountain by the Canada border, June there was snow and ice everywhere, July was just puddles. My personal choice is earlier in the season.

I just got off the Explorer on Friday and all locals said the best weather in many years. No rain, not cold, had a wonderful time. I have sailed to Alaska the last 2 weeks of May, first week of June and the first 2 weeks of September and this trip was the best. Always pack layers, top, sweater, light jacket, rain poncho, umbrella.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As others have mentioned, weather is a bit of a crap shoot. One thing to consider is what sort of wildlife you want to see. If you're interested in bears - then your best bet is about mid August on when the Salmon are running. Whales, Bald Eagles - you can see pretty much all cruise season (maybe, based on what I've been told, not as many whales in early May since they are still completing their migration back from warmer waters).

I spent the last 16 days on the Radiance in Alaska.

Over the course of those 16 days there was rain, there was sunshine, there were cool temps and there were warm temps.

I highly recommend May. Alaska is still Alaska: lots of snow, lots of ice.

Isn't that why you go to Alaska?????

We went the last week of August into the first week of September one year. We enjoyed seeing the Bears, orcas, and other wildlife. Only had rain one day. The rest of the days were beautiful, but we wore jackets on deck since it was windy. School had started so there were almost no kids on the cruise if that makes a difference to you. Just pick a date and go. You never can tell what the weather will be. It's a beautiful state and wonderful cruise.

We went the last week of August into the first week of September one year. We enjoyed seeing the Bears, orcas, and other wildlife. Only had rain one day. The rest of the days were beautiful, but we wore jackets on deck since it was windy. School had started so there were almost no kids on the cruise if that makes a difference to you. Just pick a date and go. You never can tell what the weather will be. It's a beautiful state and wonderful cruise.

kalliekae, thanks for your input since DH and I are booked for late August 2018. I didn't really take into consideration what the weather would be like then; all I knew was that I wanted to do something besides the usual Caribbean sailing. Could you give me an idea what kinds of clothing you wore most of the time, and is it possible to swim on the pool deck or not? I'm clueless about Alaska cruises!

I've cruised Alaska twice-once mid May with sunny days and a few days warm enough to not need a coat or sweater. The second cruise was beginning of August and it was cold, windy and rained almost everyday. You can never tell what the weather will be like in Alaska

May to early June - most ice and best scenery

Late June to early July - longest day time

Late July to early August - warmest weather

Late August to September - most wildlife

In another word, there is no bad time to cruise to Alaska.

I spent the last 16 days on the Radiance in Alaska.

Over the course of those 16 days there was rain, there was sunshine, there were cool temps and there were warm temps.

I highly recommend May. Alaska is still Alaska: lots of snow, lots of ice.

Isn't that why you go to Alaska?????

No, we go to get away from this 90+ degree heat and humidity from Florida...and the DH's birthday in August. ;)

But he would freeze his skinny butt in too much ice and snow. :p

No, we go to get away from this 90+ degree heat and humidity from Florida...and the DH's birthday in August. ;)

But he would freeze his skinny butt in too much ice and snow. :p

Thank you for this although I could live without the mental image of his " skinny butt" . :D