For recent cruisers since the drink package change ----

WeLuv2Cruz13

I have been thinking about this as well for our Equinox cruise in July. We will definitely upgrade my husband to the Premium package, as he will most likely drink enough to make up the difference. I will not- upgrading for one martini a night will not cover the extra money, so I plan to just pay as I go for my drinks.

The upgrade costs $11.80 per day, so that would mean I'd need to have several drinks on the premium package to cover that.

There are also differences in the non-alcoholic beverages that are included in the classic and premium packages so look at those items too if you enjoy other types of beverages. My husband became a big fan of vitamin water on our last cruise with the premium package. Previously, we had the classic package so it was never a choice. Glad we had the premium package since he also likes Baileys. With the recent change to paying only the difference in cost for drinks over the classic package limit, the benefits may be less for some people but still significant for others who prefer sparkling water, vitamin water and Red Bull. Someone created a spreadsheet quite a while ago that allowed you to calculate you beverage expenditure - could probably find it by searching the boards. Personally, I like having the beverage package and will likely upgrade to the premium package going forward just so I can enjoy the Martini Bar, Pelegríno with dinner and other drinks whenever the spirit moves me.

Enjoy your cruise! And remember that you can upgrade later in the cruise so take the time to see how it goes with the classic package, if you like and don't feel pressured to upgrade on day 1.

Be aware that they now list a few wines in the dinner menu and we were not given a wine list until I specifically asked for it' date=' a few nights into the cruise. The wine list provides much better choices for wine by the glass. Ended up drinking Decoy Cabernet Sauvignon and Mer Soleil Chardonnay most nights from that point forward. I chose those because of posts I read here on CC. Unfortunately, the different sommeliers we encountered in the MDR (we had Select Dining) were not as helpful, creative or enthusiastic as on prior cruises.[/quote']Very interesting and informative as we appeared to be restricted to Kendall Jackson in the MDR on our recent Reflection sailing (May 2017) whereas in Murano we found out that our favourite that you mention (Mer Soleil) was available and covered by the premium package. That was never available in any other restaurant, but it sounds as though we should have asked for it.

We're on Eclipse later in the year so I will be asking for the wine menu then to see the full list by the glass. Thanks for the info.

should I upgrade to premium or just pay the difference? First, we are not huge drinkers and really have no specific preferences. I would like to try a few of the "specialty" drinks which are in premium but other than that am pretty fine with the classic package. Just wondering if people think worth the upgrade or just to pay as I go?

One other question - are the frozen slushy drinks served by the pool included in classic or premium?

Thanks so much. :cool:

The Martini Bar is premium pkg, the fresh coconut by the pool that you can have rum added to is also premium. The slushy drinks from the pool bar are classic as long as you don't order a "call drink like having your pina colada topped with Myers Rum, then it becomes a premium. It's all based on price per drink. Sometimes Celebrity will upgrade you for $100 to premium when they are offering a promotion OR get to know your bartender and tip him/her when you first order asking if they would be willing to take care of you for the cruise. then if they do, tip again at the end.

I accept that things like red bull and Perrier are not covered by the classic but if you have a cruise booked with out any package included then what are they going to charge for these? based on the previously mentioned upcharge I can't believe a glass of Perrier could be $10 ........ or is that the price?

Still hoping to get an answer on this one.

Good question.

I wondered the same thing myself.

Hopefully someone knows and you'll get a response.

I accept that things like red bull and Perrier are not covered by the classic but if you have a cruise booked with out any package included then what are they going to charge for these? based on the previously mentioned upcharge I can't believe a glass of Perrier could be $10 ........ or is that the price?

Am I missing something? Premium water was never available with the classic beverage package. I don't see any change with that. Maybe they are charging the price difference between the ordinary water and the premium water. This seems all to confusing in terms of billing for a company who can't maintain a workable website.

• 3 weeks later...
I am finding that the good beer is only available with the premium package, I guess I am spoiled. I live in a town that is saturated by craft breweries! Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We sailed the Reflection in 2013, when Michael's was still open to the masses and the 30-40 'craft' selections were there. 10-12 real craft brews.

We switched to the Equinox in 2014 & '15 when Cellar Masters was redesigned into the GastroBar, what a great craft beer bar! We are back on this yr. The selections are a bit better, Dog Fish 60/90 the best IPA's and a couple Rogue boomers that are way over priced.

No Firestone Walker, Cigar City, Trillium, Prarie, Wicked Weed, etc.

There are only 3-5 that fall under the $9 Classic, most are $12-18. 2 beers where you pay a $5 overage and you would have covered the price to upgrade to everything Premium, which is what we have done and will again in Nov.

On the other ships it is hit n miss, but the selections seem to have been stocked at the Passport Bar by Guest Relations.

Also, the 'added cost' small plate offerings are excellently paired with the beer selections. On the Equinox they do a beer food paring a couple times during a sailing, and it is well worth the $20 cost.

One can only dream about having a Todd the Ax Man IPA on board! :D

EW

My main reason for taking the Premium Package was better wine by the glass that is until my April Cruise on the Equinix. First, the wine bar is gone replaced by the GastroBar add to this disappointment by the third day of our 10-night cruise one by one each bar started running out of any premium wine selections other than their House Brand. None of them offered one wine by the glass that you could pay extra above the Premium package price to try. Such as a Jordon by the glass for a upcharge, none period. Prior Cruises we had 4-5 to try. The main dining room did have Decoy by the glass but I had to ask every night for it as it seemed to be guarded. Other than the Decoy the next best wine by the glass for me was the house brand on the Classic Package not the red on the Premium. I will check and see what wine they have by the glass before I upgrade again.

It's been a while since we've sailed with Celebrity and am reading this thread with interest. For the 1st time we have bought a package - Classic for our Med trip this summer on Reflection ...no - we are in an inside room so the package wasn't included.

So a couple of questions..

I like a couple of glasses of wine with dinner (DH is not so bothered). We are set dining so will have a regular sommelier (hopefully)...having read the thread I'm not sure I've not seen the answer..but should I ask for a wine list to see what is available by the glass under what package ? Or rely on the Sommelier to explain ?

2ndly...what is the World Class Bar ? A new venue since our last cruise but heard much talk of it on the boards so just wondering what it's all about and what it offers.

Finally Michaels Club /Gastro Pub...has one replaced the other and if MC still exists is it open to all ?..

Don't shoot me down..but will probably post the last 2 questions outside of this post.😊

Thanks for any input.

thanks

but where is grappa? prosecco? mojito?

There is prosecco on the Classic package. A mojito is also covered on the Classuc package as long as it is made with a brand of rum from the Classic package. Don't know about grappa.

It's been a while since we've sailed with Celebrity and am reading this thread with interest. For the 1st time we have bought a package - Classic for our Med trip this summer on Reflection ...no - we are in an inside room so the package wasn't included.

So a couple of questions..

I like a couple of glasses of wine with dinner (DH is not so bothered). We are set dining so will have a regular sommelier (hopefully)...having read the thread I'm not sure I've not seen the answer..but should I ask for a wine list to see what is available by the glass under what package ? Or rely on the Sommelier to explain?

Definitely ask for the wine list, if it is not offered. Relying on the sommelier to explain wine options/make recommendations on our cruise on Equinox this past April was not at all satisfactory. The MDR menu now lists a few wines so it appears that they are steering folks to that very short list. The sommelier was carrying a bottle of red and a bottle of white wine - I believe they are the Celebrity private label wines - and simply poured those. When I asked for something else, I was offered one other wine but was not brought the wine list. Since we had the premium package and had read about wines that were included here on the boards, I was not a happy camper. After three nights of that, I decided to ask for the wine list. The entire list of wines included in both the classic and premium beverage packages are shown. The lists are much more extensive than what is listed in the dinner menu.

You will find wines that you like on the wine list. And if you do opt for one of the higher priced wines, you pay only the difference between the package limit and the cost of the wine. This is a recent change and for the better. In the past, you had to pay the entire amount for any drinks above the package limit with a classic package. That no longer being the case is a positive change.

IMHO you have to take charge of your onboard experience. Equinox is a beautiful ship and the meals (breakfast and dinner) we enjoyed in the MDR were very good. Our dinners were even better once we found wines we could enjoy with our meals. Sad to say, the sommeliers just didn't live up to our prior MDR experience on Equinox.

Enjoy your cruise!

figgy wig....There is a prnted wine list but yo should also consult the sommalier in case ther are any other selections.

The world class bar is where the molecular bar was.

Michaels Club is for suites and v.i,p, guests and Zenith level.

On Equinox the Gastro Bar replaced the Cellar Masters. On a the S class ships, Cellar Masters is still there.

Interesting that the link lists Premium at $65 and Classic at $55 yet the upgrade is $11.80 per day!

The upgrade is $10.00 plus 18% gratuity ($1.80), making the total cost $11.80 per day. You do not have to upgrade on the first day. I believe you can upgrade any day until the middle of your cruise. But you may want to confirm that once onboard.

The upgrade is $10.00 plus 18% gratuity ($1.80)' date=' making the total cost $11.80 per day. You do not have to upgrade on the first day. I believe you can upgrade any day until the middle of your cruise. But you may want to confirm that once onboard.[/quote']

Can upgrade until the last 4 days of the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wine list may be extensive, but sadly much of it is often out of stock.

I agree. Having upgraded to the premium package on Eclipse last month, 3 of the premium white wines were not onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The upgrade is $10.00 plus 18% gratuity ($1.80)' date=' making the total cost $11.80 per day. You do not have to upgrade on the first day. I believe you can upgrade any day until the middle of your cruise. But you may want to confirm that once onboard.[/quote']

Thanks, I forgot about the 18%.

There is prosecco on the Classic package. A mojito is also covered on the Classuc package as long as it is made with a brand of rum from the Classic package. Don't know about grappa.

Would you happen to know about frozen toasted almonds?