Largest passenger capacity- Carnival Corp new build vs. Oasis Class

So i was reading some articles where they are claiming that Carnival Corps new ships will be the largest passenger capacity cruise ships in the world at 6,600 passengers at max capacity. That is very strange since Harmony of the Seas already holds the record at max capacity 6,780 passengers.

What also puzzles me is how cramped these new ships will be. Harmony of the seas is 226,000 gross tons while Carnival Corp's ships will be 180,000 gross tons. That's a 46,000 ton or Empress size difference with only 180 passengers less!

An article in the Orlando Sentinel mentions 5200 pax at double occupancy. Harmony holds 5479.

Maybe less suites or amenities considering the 46000 ton difference.

But i see there is another thread where the difference in volume and guest capacity has been discussed. It will be a Costa ship, not a company i will cruise with.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2398973

Edited by Pruritus
added information

It'll be the same approach as Vista. Make all the venues smaller and cram as many people as possible in smaller spaces. Another failed approach at competing with Royal. They need to just make a 220,000 ton ship and do it right.

Or teeny tiny cabins like MJ. [emoji33]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Yes, that was a "feature" of the Sovereign class ships to make the public venues larger. At the time they were the largest cruise ships in the world and the public areas were huge for the day at the expense of cabin size. This was corrected in later builds. Even now we notice that the individual lounges on MJ are bigger than the typical ones on newer ships but there are more of them on the newer ships. This helps spread out the crowds. Hopefully the cabin size lesson has been learned. We did a few 7 day cruises on MJ and even went on a 4 day with us and 2 kids in a cabin once :eek:. We have no idea how we did that now.

I followed the link and saw a couple of pictures and a video posted by others. It does not look like it will have Cove balconies, does it? Wonder why Carnival is not continuing those. I have always wanted to try one. Would be nice if Royal can incorporate them into Royal ships.

new-costa-ship.jpg

Excellence_costa.jpg

-l2OmOs9wtk

Edited by cidercruiser

It'll be the same approach as Vista. Make all the venues smaller and cram as many people as possible in smaller spaces. Another failed approach at competing with Royal. They need to just make a 220,000 ton ship and do it right.

I agree. I did not enjoy the venues on the Vista.

187 feet shorter than Oasis but holds more passengers.

The length measurement on some of the new designs are a bit misleading when trying to compare with current designs -the new flat nosed designs would probably have been at least 50-100 longer if they had traditional bows. The GT measurement is a bit better, but even that may not really tell the "feel" of space - or lack of it.

Saw this on MSN yesterday. How is this possible. 187 feet shorter than Oasis but holds more passengers.

http://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/msc-cruises-to-design-worlds-largest-cruise-ship

One way to pack in the passengers is to make every cabin a triple, quad or cabin for 5. That's what Norwegian Bliss is doing. No thanks, too many noisy neighbors.

Just remember gross tonnage is a measurement of enclosed volume. The Royal Promenade on a RCCL ship has volume that that is not actually used to spread people out. However I think the Oasis and Freedom class ships do this nicely. Plus I like the extra dimensions of the Royal Promenade on Oasis and Freedom class ships over the Voyager.

On the Oasis, Central Park/Boardwalk also helps to disperse crowds.

I followed the link and saw a couple of pictures and a video posted by others. It does not look like it will have Cove balconies, does it? Wonder why Carnival is not continuing those. I have always wanted to try one. Would be nice if Royal can incorporate them into Royal ships.

new-costa-ship.jpg

Excellence_costa.jpg

-l2OmOs9wtk

Absolutely love the aft section of that ship!:hearteyes:

So much better than Oasis-class!

The new Costa looks sooo awesome!(y)(y)(y)