Are there any cruises with paid only food?

Just curious, where did you get the idea that cruisers are gluttonous? Are you aware that not all meals are buffets, and you usually have a choice of venues, including room service?

Roz

Because of the very low per passenger food expenditures on mass market lines, the fact is my sailing on such a line would probably amount to my subsidizing OP's penny-pinching, because I would want to buy reasonable meals at additional cost while he would likely be subsisting on smuggled peanut butter and jelly or bologna sandwiches.

Everyone is welcome to skip any meal they don't want. No one will force someone to et more than they want .Eat wqhatr you wissh and your fellow cruisers will do the same

OP, while I too find seeing a person with 5 desserts or two lobsters off-putting, cruise ships have less waste than restaurants or even grocery stores. Food provisions are so closely calculated, based on the fact that almost all cruises sail at 100% capacity, that they know they will use xxdozen eggs, xxxsteaks, etc., and bring just that amount aboard. It is a very efficient and non-wasteful system.

Not to mention, a growing number of passengers are now skipping the complimentary venues altogether and buying multi-night dining packages. They still have to pay for all that food the gluttons are having.

Not to mention, a growing number of passengers are now skipping the complimentary venues altogether and buying multi-night dining packages. They still have to pay for all that food the gluttons are having.

Please don't advertise this!!! The OP may think that there will be even more gluttony going on if there are fewer people competing for food in the MDR or buffet. ;p:evilsmile:

Alaska ferries have been mentioned, so I'll throw in a mention of BC Ferries, which have routes going to some of the most picturesque places on the planet. We've done an Alaska cruise, but also highly recommend the Port Hardy to Prince Rupert route on BC Ferries, (you can book a stateroom) and from there you can go to Haida Gwai, or link up with Alaska ferries.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Alaska ferries have been mentioned, so I'll throw in a mention of BC Ferries, which have routes going to some of the most picturesque places on the planet. We've done an Alaska cruise, but also highly recommend the Port Hardy to Prince Rupert route on BC Ferries, (you can book a stateroom)

Fares are quite breath taking, however.

+1. I have done "cruises" on the Ak Marine Highway. They are great and they get you into towns that the cruise ships never visit.

You can even save money by setting up a tent on the deck and sleeping outside. You get to meet some great people on the Marine Highway..

DON

I've read that you should take a big roll of duct tape to secure your tent to the deck!

I've read that you should take a big roll of duct tape to secure your tent to the deck!

I have even seen people sleeping in the lounges inside at night. The food on the ferries is not expensive and not half bad.

BTW, I was on a ferry once in the winter going from Juneau to Haines. There were actually some very brave souls who had pitched their tents on the deck and were sleeping in them and some even braver souls who just unrolled their sleeping bags and slept in them on deck.

Not for me!!

DON

Has anyone noticed (or cared) that the OP, in 2 pages of incredibly helpful and insightful information, hasn't returned? LOL ....

Make sure the duct tape is reflective so no one trips over your tent at night.

He only posted yesterday. You are probably right but let's give him a chance.

DON

Has anyone noticed (or cared) that the OP, in 2 pages of incredibly helpful and insightful information, hasn't returned? LOL ....

Make sure the duct tape is reflective so no one trips over your tent at night.

He only posted yesterday. You are probably right but let's give him a chance.

DON

I don't care if the OP is a Troll or not. Just the fact that I learned about the Alaskian Ferries and the Marine Highway to Alaska makes this thread the 'Oscar winner' for best thread for 2017! :D

• 3 months later...
Consider the Alaska Marine Highway System "cruise ferries" in Alaska. Meals and cabins are sold separately. One route starts in Bellingham, WA and does the inside passage up to Skagway (with many stops in between).

Thanks - that looks interesting. I never knew this route/mode existed.

None of the main lines as far as I know.

But remember that the cost of food on most lines is only about $10 per person per day, so you won’t be subsidising much.

(the figures can be found in the companies returns).

I'd like to go on a cruise but don't want to subsidize the gluttony of others. I don't need gourmet selection. I want to go for the ambiance, the water, the vistas, not the food. I want to just be laid back, don't need millions of activities. Surely there must be others that want peace on a low priced cruise.

The UNITED STATES Navy has 'cruises' EVERY day !!:rolleyes: And as I'm sure several active-retired members here of said group can attest too, THEY don't care IF you eat OR not, in fact, they'll actually pay YOU !! Sooooooooo, give'um a call OR visit a local recruiter, just consider them YOUR own 'private'-er, I mean seaman ( Senior Chief TA !)

Mac

I'd like to go on a cruise but don't want to subsidize the gluttony of others. I don't need gourmet selection. I want to go for the ambiance, the water, the vistas, not the food. I want to just be laid back, don't need millions of activities. Surely there must be others that want peace on a low priced cruise.

I definitely don't participate in gluttony on a cruise ship. In fact, I eat less on a ship than I do at home, but thanks for lumping all cruisers together. I sincerely hope that I never cruise with you.

You are in luck - no "gourmet section", but basic food (and beer, but no hard liquor) is available for purchase. Your port of embarkation is one of the greatest cities in the world - definitely worth a few day's stay either pre- or post-cruise. Amazing vistas, and no worry about "millions of activities". And, because you want a "low priced cruise", you will be delighted to learn that the cruise is absolutely FREE. Sailings year round from South Ferry on Manhattan - on the vessels of the Department of Marine and Aviation collectively known as the Staten Island Ferry.