Free airfare real deal?

PG13

So Viking is offering free airfare with the 15 day Grand tour cruise, is this really a deal or like the 2 for 1 deal, not really a deal? And, what's with wanting the full fare 6 months ahead? I like to book my own air to control length of layovers, flight length etc. because husband has PD. Not sure I'll have much say in those things if I take the free are fare. Haven't asked if they will adjust the cruise fare if I don't want the free air. So what do you think folks? Thanks, Pat

Last year, when we did Tulips and Windmills with Viking and took their air. We did get good direct flights from Chicago. Flights could depend upon where you live. Also taking their air gives you the transfers from airport to the boat. That is worth something.

Elyce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Viking is offering free airfare with the 15 day Grand tour cruise, is this really a deal or like the 2 for 1 deal, not really a deal? And, what's with wanting the full fare 6 months ahead? I like to book my own air to control length of layovers, flight length etc. because husband has PD. Not sure I'll have much say in those things if I take the free are fare. Haven't asked if they will adjust the cruise fare if I don't want the free air. So what do you think folks? Thanks, Pat

Last year we got a free airfare deal with Viking to Russia. Worked great and they went out of their way to get us just the routing we wanted.

We did the Grand European, free airfare deal. It was great. We paid extra for "air extra" or whatever Viking calls it. We picked our airline, route, and Viking did the booking. It worked great! Once the seats were ticketed, we upgraded to "comfort plus" on Delta for some extra leg room.

Good deal!

The air deals are added incentives not on every sailing. With the recent terrorism in Europe bookings are not as hot as previous. Other cruise lines are doing the same. The seats are bought bulk from the airline so the cruise lines are able to negotiate a very good rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hope this doesn't post twice, but my post is not showing.

Yes, the free airfare deal is one of the better deals that gets offered. As others have said, pay the $50 per person to work with Custom Air to select your flights/routing. Also keep in mind you can pay $100 per person (per side) to get a deviation, in case you want to fly in early, or stay later, or arrive or depart from a different European city. I use this option frequently.

there is also a possibility if you choose the deviation there may be an up charge on the air fare. This ( $100 deviation) never seems quite right to me because if you were on a Viking pre-cruise with included air it would probably be the same day and flight.

The air deals are added incentives not on every sailing. With the recent terrorism in Europe bookings are not as hot as previous.

I didn't realize that though I wondered if the current global climate might impact international travel in general.

Out of curiousity, where did you get your information?

there is also a possibility if you choose the deviation there may be an up charge on the air fare. This ( $100 deviation) never seems quite right to me because if you were on a Viking pre-cruise with included air it would probably be the same day and flight.

Maybe you'd be on the same day and flight, but I doubt that usually you would, as people are selecting all sorts of options. On my upcoming Viking cruise in late November that sails from Basel, Switzerland, I'm using the deviation to fly in 13 days early, and into Rome.

Also, while you could experience an upcharge on a deviation flight, and for that matter on a custom air flight, I have never had one on any routing I've selected.

It's not just Viking that is offering the free air deal. Definitely look at various lines and find the best possible deal. Due to the terrorism, you are in a buyers market as far as European River Cruises go so the various lines are throwing in air (in some cases business class air) and other perks (free pre-cruise tours and hotel, free liquor, etc.)

It's not just Viking that is offering the free air deal. Definitely look at various lines and find the best possible deal. Due to the terrorism, you are in a buyers market as far as European River Cruises go so the various lines are throwing in air (in some cases business class air) and other perks (free pre-cruise tours and hotel, free liquor, etc.)

Do you know which lines are offering business air or pre-cruise stays? Any help cutting down my research is always appreciated :)

It was for us. We couldn't get on the Viking precrusie but paid the deviation fee to go in at the same time same flight on our own.

Could you post what lines are offering this? This year Scenic was offering free premium economy but that is all I found, also Viking will let you upgrade to the Premium economy for a small fee.

I don't agree with this. River cruising has been continually growing in popularity each year for several years running, with this year looking no different. Each year the cruises for the following year are usually released at the beginning of the preceding year, and then around the summer they start offering different deals, such as free airfare and other perks.

On past Viking cruises that I have done we did not take the air fare because we were extending and it was not cost effective. In that case when we did take take the air, their "cost" was deducted from the advertised cruise price.

On past Viking cruises that I have done we did not take the air fare because we were extending and it was not cost effective. In that case when we did take take the air, their "cost" was deducted from the advertised cruise price.

Keep in mind that you can also extend your trip using Viking Air and pay the reasonable $100 deviation fee, also into/out of other cities.

Could you post what lines are offering this? This year Scenic was offering free premium economy but that is all I found, also Viking will let you upgrade to the Premium economy for a small fee.

This is a situation where you really need to do a lot of research and compare prices and what you get for your money:

Avalon is one of the lines offering this.

AMAWaterways is offering $2,000 off.

Uniworld is offering heavily discounted business class air.

Croisi is offering air inclusive.

Virgin Vacations is selling river cruises inclusive of air. These are presumably charter river cruises for Virgin.

Tauck is offering flat upfront discounted pricing on air.

Scenic is offering Fly Free To Europe

Emerald Waterways is offering Fly Free in 2018

I'm sure that there are many other river cruise companies which are offering all kinds of great deals.