Channel 4 - Secrets of your cruise

CCFC

Its just started and I'm not impressed with it so far, pointing an infra red camera at the funnel looks spectacular but apparently its all CO2.

They are on Oceana from Malta by the looks of it.

Good Grief.

I'm now confused. When I sit on my aft balcony on Britannia in a few weeks time, should I now be more concerned about the soot problem, passive smoking from the smoking area below, my previous nights disturbed sleep from the Live Lounge a few decks below, the vibration experienced at the aft or now the particulate emissions? They often say that one of the best things about a holiday is the anticipation and having something to look forward to. That was before the internet and investigative journalism. I think I had better add those face masks that you see them wear in Japan to my packing list, alongside earplugs.

I look at the positive side of things, if a large number of people decide not to book cruises on the basis of information given on this programme, it will drive prices down and that suits me.

Regards John

My wife has just said exactly the same thing John, or at least improve availability :')

I look at the positive side of things, if a large number of people decide not to book cruises on the basis of information given on this programme, it will drive prices down and that suits me.

Regards John

Me too. I'm on Oceana in 4 weeks, wouldn't be happy if the prices plummeted between now and then though! (They have gone up a lot)

The grey water part was ridiculous. I hope when she said she got off after 4 days she was kicked off for breaking the passenger contract.

I can see that ships cause some sort of environmental impact, as does driving my car and turning up the heating when it gets cold.

What would have impressed me more is if this programme had explained the impact of a ship divided by passengers versus the impact of a flight to a hotel resort and the impact that this has. Is a cruise worse than the cumulative effect of a flight / coach transfer / stay at a hotel?

As for the grey water and sewage, again it would have been helpful to know what happens on land as opposed to what ships do. Is it any worse?

I thought it was a very poor programme - though typical of Dispatches. It's poor journalism when they set out to prove a point and never offer a balanced perspective. Won't bother watching the next one.

I also wondered why they kept mentioning Oceana but never names the other ships pictured

We turned it off, it didn't seem scientifically balanced and I have an aft balcony on Britannia coming up so I don't want to think about it [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Scaremongering at it's best. Let's hope that we don't get the environmental protesters picketing the docks stopping us getting on and off, I noticed that one man suggested that they would be protesting. The pollution from other methods of transport is polluting the atmosphere far more than cruise ships given the volume of travel by cruise ships compared to the cumulative volume of other methods of travel.

We went to a talk by the chief engineer on Ventura in March and he talked about what they were doing to reduce pollution so I think that they will become more environmentally friendly.

I am concerned about what we are doing to the environment but we have to be realistic.

As others have said the program will may deter some people from cruising and hopefully increase the availability and reduce the cost for the rest of us.

I watched this, but was not impressed. The grey water representation was horribly out of proportion, and although they did quietly refer to "treated sewage" once, all other references were just to sewage being released into the water, implying raw sewage. And the infrared camera aimed at the smokestack was a silly stunt. She could only guess at the composition of the hot vapour. I need to listen to part of it again, because I believe they were looking at one particular component of ship exhaust, but they were describing emissions from one ship as being the equivalent of more than a million cars. And of course they included the famous footage of Princess crew members chucking rubbish overboard in Brazil. That happened some time ago, and as far as I know, was an isolated incident, resulting in a prosecution and a hefty fine, but they managed to imply that it still goes on all the time on most ships.

The person protesting had a point. The new cruise terminal at Greenwich is in a residential area, but cruise ships will be running their engines continuously whilst moored. It will be like having a couple of HGV s parked outside your front door with their engines running.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

I watched this, but was not impressed. The grey water representation was horribly out of proportion, and although they did quietly refer to "treated sewage" once, all other references were just to sewage being released into the water, implying raw sewage. And the infrared camera aimed at the smokestack was a silly stunt. She could only guess at the composition of the hot vapour. I need to listen to part of it again, because I believe they were looking at one particular component of ship exhaust, but they were describing emissions from one ship as being the equivalent of more than a million cars. And of course they included the famous footage of Princess crew members chucking rubbish overboard in Brazil. That happened some time ago, and as far as I know, was an isolated incident, resulting in a prosecution and a hefty fine, but they managed to imply that it still goes on all the time on most ships.

MSC crew member not Princess.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Poor science and scaremongering, journalism at it's worst. Unbalanced and inflammatory would be the way that I would describe the programme. Using outdated information in a most provocative way. Yes the shipping industry is not without fault but focussing on the smoke stack of an older ship with a thermal image camera and then jumping to conclusions about the emissions is far from evidence. Use the same camera on the boiler outlet from your gas boiler and compare the pictures.

I'm starting to get very worried and annoyed at the standard of journalism in this country. Just look at some of the reporting of the Grenfell tower fire for example. Many journalists seem more interested in creating a story rather than reporting the facts.

Poor science and scaremongering, journalism at it's worst. Unbalanced and inflammatory would be the way that I would describe the programme. Using outdated information in a most provocative way. Yes the shipping industry is not without fault but focussing on the smoke stack of an older ship with a thermal image camera and then jumping to conclusions about the emissions is far from evidence. Use the same camera on the boiler outlet from your gas boiler and compare the pictures.

I'm starting to get very worried and annoyed at the standard of journalism in this country. Just look at some of the reporting of the Grenfell tower fire for example. Many journalists seem more interested in creating a story rather than reporting the facts.

I agree thought the same when i watched programme last night.

A thermal image camera does what it says on the box, it records the difference in temperature not the level of pollutants.

A lot emissions from the funnel is just hot at from cooling and air conditioning systems.

This was very poorly made program with an agenda from start to finish.

A thermal image camera does what it says on the box, it records the difference in temperature not the level of pollutants.

A lot emissions from the funnel is just hot at from cooling and air conditioning systems.

This was very poorly made program with an agenda from start to finish.

Shock, are you telling me that the air coming from a funnel is hot. See you do learn from programmes like that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most comments on here just show that people have stuck their heads in the sand, of course it is a major problem - talk to the residents that live near the Southampton cruise terminals. The law needs to change to prohibit 3.5% sulphur oils being burnt by cruise ships. Yes it has been reduced in European/US waters to 0.1% which is still 100 times what our cars are allowed to use but in the poorly Caribbean anything goes.

Chanel 4 Dispatches is still available on Catchup or just read http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/jul/03/air-on-board-cruise-ships-is-twice-as-bad-as-at-piccadilly-circus

My reaction to the programme was pretty much the same as other people. I posted my immediate reaction on Faceache and it was about the very poor quality of journalism. They created the investigation to 'prove' what they wanted to show. There was no balance or different perspectives.

I once said something I'd read in some newspapers wasn't true and the answer I got from someone was "it must be true, I read it in The Sun" :'):'):'). Last night's programme won't put us off cruising but I'm sure there will have been viewers who were aghast.

Most comments on here just show that people have stuck their heads in the sand, of course it is a major problem - talk to the residents that live near the Southampton cruise terminals. The law needs to change to prohibit 3.5% sulphur oils being burnt by cruise ships. Yes it has been reduced in European/US waters to 0.1% which is still 100 times what our cars are allowed to use but in the poorly Caribbean anything goes.

Chanel 4 Dispatches is still available on Catchup or just read www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/jul/03/air-on-board-cruise-ships-is-twice-as-bad-as-at-piccadilly-circus

Looked like it was filmed in the Med to me, does that mean she got the Sulpher figures wrong too?