Different Places/Ways to book your cruise

CTOM

Another newbie question here as we're about to book our first cruise ever (for June 2018). We started at HAL's site, but then found a little bit cheaper rate by going to aa.com/cruises (American Airlines has a cruise agency that I never knew about) plus some AA bonus miles.

We don't have a regular travel agent, so we contacted one in our neighborhood. We said we know nothing about cruises, but we prefer HAL and here's our dates. She came back with similar prices, but there was an offer where the gratuities would be included.

So the first question is to ask our Cruise Critic friends how do you typically book your cruises, and do you hunt around for the best prices and best bonus offers, etc., before actually booking? Can you call HAL and ask them to match certain offers that you saw elsewhere?

We're looking at an Alaska cruise next June, and I read on another board that it's better to wait a while longer before booking, but others said to book asap for the best price and stateroom availability.

Any help is much appreciated.

We are not allowed to mention specific agencies, etc.

But we were fortunate to have found a TA 26 years ago whom gives us perks, etc.

HAL will not match a lower price that you may find somewhere else.

Many people here use online agencies. Some of us just prefer to book with an agency that we know we can get hold of quickly if a problem comes up.

We also prefer to book as soon as possible to get the cabin we want. Others like to book guarantees and take a chance on getting a decent cabin.

I book directly with HAL, through a Personal Cruise Consultant (PCC). I know pretty much what I want and get everything set up with her. Before final payment, for the last few cruises, I've transferred the booking to a big box store travel agency that started operating in Canada a few years ago. They typically offer significant OBC savings which helps with the onboard expenses although the service suffers a wee bit.

With the exception of our very first cruise ten years ago, we always book through an online TA agency and get prices that are 10 - 12% below HAL's published prices, and, usually, with OBC's. We see no advantage in a PCC, but, then, we have never had a problem which would test any advantage.

We don't use a TA except for cruises. Our current TA is part of a very large online organization who also has brick and mortar cruise stores. The gal we're using is quite nice but she's new. Will never, ever do that again. She knows nothing. I ask a question, she says she'll contact Holland and get back to me FOR EVERYTHING. Heck, I could contact Holland myself. Never again. That may seem harsh, but our cruises are expensive and we use an agent for their expertise.

In the past we have booked with bricks and mortar TA's, a big box store, and an on line US based internet TA. We do most of our bookings with the latter because they give us fare rebates, anywhere from 8-12 percent of the commissionable fare, in the form of on board credits. From time to time they may add us to a group and we will get something extra. We no longer do B&M agencies primarily because they seldom rebate and they tend to keep poor business hours. More than once we were able to jump on a good fare because our on line TA keeps extensive business hours.

We also price our cruises in other countries and have saved money by booking in another country other than the US. Some cruise line prices can change between in country markets. We do the same with other travel purchases. We typically buy cruises inside the final payment window. Anywhere from six/ten weeks to three days out.

We view booking a cruise as we do any other commodity item. We can get the standard product anywhere-the only difference for us is price. But, we do not need any help. We know what we want. Typically we tell our TA what we want, she/he prices it, and we book. Once in a while a re-price on the few occasions where we book well ahead of the sailing date.

Edited by iancal

We use a local (brick and mortar) TA. After 60 + cruises with her she knows exactly what we want and takes care of every detail. Love her, would not use any other booking service.

:):):):):):)

We don't use a TA except for cruises. Our current TA is part of a very large online organization who also has brick and mortar cruise stores. The gal we're using is quite nice but she's new. Will never, ever do that again. She knows nothing. I ask a question, she says she'll contact Holland and get back to me FOR EVERYTHING. Heck, I could contact Holland myself. Never again. That may seem harsh, but our cruises are expensive and we use an agent for their expertise.

I agree! For 20 years I used a brick and mortar agency of which travel was one part of the business. When the agent retired she recommended another agent in the office which turned out to be bad experience. I went to a big box as I know exactly what I want. It has been a much better, but you still need to monitor the booking.

To OP:welcome to Cruise Critic, and I think you will be pleased with HAL for Alaska....we are about to go for the 5th time with HAL!

Karen

What kind of questions do you ask? About all I ask about is cabin availability and price, don't remember stumping an agent with those questions.

Big box store famous for the 1.50 hot dogs.. they are great!!

Ditto. We were even able to call after we had made our final payment (but before final payment was due) when we noticed a price drop and our TA there was able to get the price reduction!

I book directly with HAL, through a Personal Cruise Consultant (PCC). I know pretty much what I want and get everything set up with her. Before final payment, for the last few cruises, I've transferred the booking to a big box store travel agency that started operating in Canada a few years ago. They typically offer significant OBC savings which helps with the onboard expenses although the service suffers a wee bit.

This what we do also. Through our HAL PCC, we book as early as possible for our best cabin selection, take advantage of any promotions ( i.e. Ready, Set, Sail or Explore 4) then transfer the booking to the big box agency for additional OBC's. It was our PCC's suggestion to do it this way and its worked for us without any problems.

I look for cruises on the cruise lines' websites, but once I narrow down my choices, I get quotes from several agencies on a website that lets them compete for your business. Once I find an agent/agency I like, I'll skip that step a few times. But I went back that route again for our upcoming cruise on Princess because the agent I called and left a message with did not get back to me in a timely manner. Since I'm booking cruises after the final payment date, prices can be volatile--hence the need to lock something in as soon as I see a good price. The large internet travel agencies that I've used have saved us money. For some reason, I never get a good price from the $1.50 hotdog big box store. The onboard credit is not enough to offset the better prices I've been getting.

Have used a 'brick and mortar' TA since 1982 with great success. He knows what I want, will match any offer I can find, usually get at least 15% off other fares and as his agency is part of one of the largest travel consortiums, I get great perks. Example: I had a $300 CREDIT after a 113-day world cruise (but I am not a big drinker) as I had so much OBC and other perks. He can make just about anything happen due to the volume of business the consortium does with HAL

We book our cruises with Holland American and after transfer it to a Travel Agency.

What is the advantage to that? If you know what you want, isn't it easier just to book initially with a TA? HAL doesn't usually give discounts.

What is the advantage to that? If you know what you want, isn't it easier just to book initially with a TA? HAL doesn't usually give discounts.

You can shop your booking around. Some TAs are happy to buy you OBC, wine packages, beverage cards, etc for the commission on your booking without having had to do all the work.

You can shop your booking around. Some TAs are happy to buy you OBC, wine packages, beverage cards, etc for the commission on your booking without having had to do all the work.

Yes, I understand and agree with that. What I don't understand is first booking with HAL and then transferring it to a TA. We shop around with the TA's, getting different quotes without having to go through HAL first. Will the TA's reduce your cruise price from HAL's published fare if you give them the reservation?

If you use the big box store credit card, you get 3% cash back at year end and travel cancellation insurance.
Since we are not talking about travel agencies but only about using the credit card to pay for it, does the cancellation insurance come with using the card or booking with that big box store? And is the cancellation insurance "for any reason" or just for stated reasons?

We have also used the website where you tender out the cruise.

You list your ship, date, and cabin class. Then wait for various agencies to bid for your business based on lowest quote. You need to be careful because there is one agency that always seems to low ball. When you call the price has mysteriously vanished and the upsell begins. We simply ignore them now.

What is interesting is that the price differences between agencies can be substantial as can their pricing and the cruise line web price.