Vibration on Oasis class?

We're thinking of booking the Allure. On several of the ships I've cruised on (none were Royal ships), there has been noticeable vibration in the aft while underway, which I don't tolerate well. Is there a lot of vibration on the Allure or any of her sisters? I'm hoping her sheer size might make it a nonissue so I can book a Boardwalk balcony. Thanks for your help!

DH still says our Allure cruise was like being in a hotel on land. We couldn't feel any motion at all lol. We're on Oasis in Oct and unless the seas are rough, I'm expecting the same. The worst vibration we have ever felt has been on Carnival. We've felt almost none on RCI.

I'll second the comment about the vibration on Carnival. Wow was it bumpy in the back of the ship. On Oasis, as others also said, we often had no idea when we were moving vs stopped. It's that smooth. You have to go look outside a window just to know if you are moving or not.

We had a Boardwalk balcony 2nd closest to the Aqua Theater and had no issues.

Just curious about your view! We are 3rd from Aqua theatre in deck 8 on Allure in Oct. Could you see the theatre well? Thanks!

All ships equipped with podded propulsion systems will experience the "azipod shimmy" where the after portion of the ship moves back and forth laterally (port to starboard), not rolling, just shimmying back and forth. This will vary based on the ship's size, the speed, and the prevailing weather conditions (following seas tend to increase this effect). This is caused by the fact that the propellers are turning to steer the ship, causing the water flow under the hull to move back and forth from port to starboard and back again, as the pods steer. This "sweeping" water flow causes the shimmy. It is noticeable only in cabins almost directly above the pods, so only the very aftermost cabins.

All ships equipped with podded propulsion systems will experience the "azipod shimmy" where the after portion of the ship moves back and forth laterally (port to starboard), not rolling, just shimmying back and forth. This will vary based on the ship's size, the speed, and the prevailing weather conditions (following seas tend to increase this effect). This is caused by the fact that the propellers are turning to steer the ship, causing the water flow under the hull to move back and forth from port to starboard and back again, as the pods steer. This "sweeping" water flow causes the shimmy. It is noticeable only in cabins almost directly above the pods, so only the very aftermost cabins.

This may be why people report no vibration on Oasis class, because there are no staterooms on the very aft part of Oasis class ships.

Edited by clarea

Thanks everybody! My worst experiences were on Carnival ships (Sensation and Pride especially)--it was hard for me not to feel woozy in the aft dining rooms or buffets and I certainly wouldn't have booked a cabin in the aft part of the ship. It sounds like if we do a boardwalk view balcony that's not one of the furthest aft I'll be OK. I don't mind rolling or pitching a little, but that shimmy just makes me feel really lousy!

No Vibration at all. Most of the time you don't even realize your moving.

I concur, my only actual aft on this class of ship was up on deck 12, no problem there. But the comment about not realize your moving stuck with me after my cruise cruise on Allure. I was sitting by the pool while the ship was in Nassau and remember thinking, "We should have left by now. I got up and walked to the railing to find out the port was several miles behind us.

We're thinking of booking the Allure. On several of the ships I've cruised on (none were Royal ships), there has been noticeable vibration in the aft while underway, which I don't tolerate well. Is there a lot of vibration on the Allure or any of her sisters? I'm hoping her sheer size might make it a nonissue so I can book a Boardwalk balcony. Thanks for your help!

We have been on Allure and Harmony and never felt any vibration.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

The only time I have ever felt a shudder/shimmy on Oasis Class Ships are when we are doing a 180 degree turn prior to docking in ports. This would be while we are in our deck 17 aft view cabin. The cabin panels and glass balcony wall vibrate just enough to wake me.

Just curious about your view! We are 3rd from Aqua theatre in deck 8 on Allure in Oct. Could you see the theatre well? Thanks!

Great view of the Aqua theater aboard Harmony. We were partially obstructed of the some of the high wire parts of the shows (we watched parts of the show from the balcony 2 nights). The Abyss partially obstructed our view of the large movie screens, but you won't have that issue on Allure. Great location IMO.

We are booked on deck 12 in that same location next year on Harmony. We are booked in the exact same room on the 2018 Symphony TA cruise.