What I was told about no more lobster in the buffet

Peachypooh

I like lobster and I know a lot of people do too. Back in 2014 we were on an Alaska cruise on the Pearl and a passenger standing next to me asked a crew member why no more lobster in the buffet. They were told that people went crazy loading their plates up with lobster and they couldn't keep up with the demand. So now I guess from reading posts there are a few venues that you can get a lobster tail one at a time and there is a charge. That was what they came up with as a solution. There is lots of good food that isn't lobster. Just my experience and it is three years ago.

There is no more lobster on NCL ships, not even at the pay for restaurants or the haven. Surf and turf is now shrimp and turf.

The Haven restaurant on Escape had a lobster bisque with large chunks of lobster, their bouillabaisse and seafood benedict both did as well. Food Republic had great lobster rolls. This was in April.

We were in Maine last week and they tell a story about when the prisoners in the State prisons rioted because they were fed too much lobster! Now there is a law that restricts prisoners to a maximum of two lobster meals per week. Heck, Steven King should have skipped writing the Shawshank Redemption and written the Shawshank Repast instead!:D

The stuff that the cruise lines try to pass off as lobster is not worth the effort to find it. It is Caribbean rock lobster, no claws, and a small body that passes as a tail. Not very good eating. You can get better at your local grocer.

Just had lobster onboard Norwegian Star last week. There was usually a line at the buffet for the lobster, but you could get as many as you could eat. Very dry, I might add.

Should I be getting excited that they may be bringing it back? I hope they do, not the best, but still enjoyable. Thru the years many foods have changed/disappeared. Still there is more than enough wonderful food to eat, all over, all the time!

Safe sailing

Safe sailing

The lack of lobster is tied to the herring shortage since herring is used as lobster bait. The price of lobster bait herring has nearly doubled and the supply has gone down.

The regulators (Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission) have come up with a few ways to balance things out. Once things get back to normal, lobster will probably return....especially if people keep complaining about it.

The lack of lobster is tied to the herring shortage since herring is used as lobster bait. The price of lobster bait herring has nearly doubled and the supply has gone down.

The regulators (Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission) have come up with a few ways to balance things out. Once things get back to normal, lobster will probably return....especially if people keep complaining about it.

While herring is becoming scarce, the availability of poagies (a traditional bait fish) for bait is still quite good. There is no shortage of lobster here in Maine, and the cruise lines don't use North Atlantic lobster anyway.

While herring is becoming scarce, the availability of poagies (a traditional bait fish) for bait is still quite good. There is no shortage of lobster here in Maine, and the cruise lines don't use North Atlantic lobster anyway.

Why do all the other cruise lines still offer lobster on their sailings????

MARAPRINCE

The lobster on Carnival's formal night is a broiled (not steamed) previously-frozen (not fresh) Maine lobster tail. It's just not that good! Plenty of better things to eat offered by NCL.

MARAPRINCE

The lobster on Carnival's formal night is a broiled (not steamed) previously-frozen (not fresh) Maine lobster tail. It's just not that good! Plenty of better things to eat offered by NCL.

Why? Because they think it adds something to the cruise experience, while NCL obviously doesn't.

As stated, though I hesitate to endorse that any major cruise line serves northern lobster tails (not just Maine, but we have the best!) in the MDR (more common is the spiny lobster tail), unless they are offering the whole lobster, it is frozen, and to my taste freezing changes the flavor and consistency of the meat, and makes it not at all worth while.

As stated, though I hesitate to endorse that any major cruise line serves northern lobster tails (not just Maine, but we have the best!) in the MDR (more common is the spiny lobster tail), unless they are offering the whole lobster, it is frozen, and to my taste freezing changes the flavor and consistency of the meat, and makes it not at all worth while.

Exactly. I had an old NCL Head Waiter (Ayere, if anyone remembers him) tell me back in 2000 that NCL didn't serve lobster because it was not fresh and wouldn't taste very good. I figure that is the reason that 15 years later, they still don't.

• 2 months later...
Should I be getting excited that they may be bringing it back? I hope they do, not the best, but still enjoyable. Thru the years many foods have changed/disappeared. Still there is more than enough wonderful food to eat, all over, all the time!

Safe sailing

Safe sailing

Sailingskyward and Spidybabe,

I sure hope you're right about the lobster either still being there or returning. I am booked on 2 NCL sailings within the year and I am disappointed to hear the news that they no longer serve it in the main dining rooms. Even after 31 cruises, I still look forward to both lobster night and filet mignon night.

I know that there are soooo many people who don't care for the lobster that used to be served (after all, they seem to flock to threads like this one just to complain about how it's not good, they never order it, etc. :D) but to me, it just frames one of the many special moments of what you are experiencing on a cruise ship. As someone once said, most people don't cruise just so they can eat 5 lobster tails, but the fact that you can, sells a lot of cruises.

I will keep my fingers crossed.

Surf and Turf is NOT shrimp and steak, it's LOBSTA and Filet! Come on, FDR, at least bring it back at Cagney's, Teppanyaki, Le Bistro, and the Haven.

Agreed. Many times ships try to sneak little cost-cutting measures in under the radar, and this is certainly one of them. In fact, another way they reduced their costs was to introduce the combination of lobster and shrimp. They did this on RCI, I believe. Most people will eat both on that first serving so that leaves less room to stuff yourself with 2nds or 3rds of lobster.

Why? Because they think it adds something to the cruise experience, while NCL obviously doesn't.

We live in Massachusetts and every other weekend we are in Kennebunkport, Maine. The Maine lobster can't be beat. Truly the best!!!

Agreed. Many times ships try to sneak little cost-cutting measures in under the radar, and this is certainly one of them. In fact, another way they reduced their costs was to introduce the combination of lobster and shrimp. They did this on RCI, I believe. Most people will eat both on that first serving so that leaves less room to stuff yourself with 2nds or 3rds of lobster.

Princess has done this also.