Ocean Medallion Holder Survey

VibeGuy

I don't really care about the color of the case & would gladly trade my black elite case for a bright color such as neon green to hopefully locate it more easily. ;p

Hot pink for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone know if the Medallion is optional? Can we just get a card instead?

One of the early written documents stated that if a person did not want to use the Medalion, that they could opt out and would be provided the old cruise card. That will probably be for some given time period after which everybody will be automatically to the Medallion. Of course, that might change to only the Medallion before or soon after the start of the program in November. But that is what was stated at the beginning.

Tom

Per the OCEAN FAQs:

Will my Medallion reflect my Captain's Circle loyalty tier status?

Yes! And if you'd like, you will be able to personalize the colors if you desire.

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion-class/ocean-faq/

I got tired just reading that. About 3/4 of the way through I thought, "I struggle with the computer at work sometimes, now I'll have to learn and use another electronic device". I really am excited to use it, although I'll have to book another cruise to do so. I miss the inaugural on the Regal by 2 sailings. As for the cost of something to wear it on, if It's a nice piece, I have no problem with $20.00 or $25.00, so long as I will get more than one sailing from it. Heck, I've spent that much on lanyards to wear the card. I wonder if I'll demagnetize it like I do the cards when I get my phone too close? Is it waterproof? I guess we will all wait and see, and then laugh at ourselves and our needless worry.

Maureen

One of the early written documents stated that if a person did not want to use the Medalion, that they could opt out and would be provided the old cruise card. That will probably be for some given time period after which everybody will be automatically to the Medallion. Of course, that might change to only the Medallion before or soon after the start of the program in November. But that is what was stated at the beginning.

Tom

I'm not sure they could even do that. It would seem to me that once they install the equipment needed to open your cabin, or pay for dinner or a purchase, etc., the technology they have now with the key cards would be obsolete? I could be very wrong, but it just doesn't seem as if they would leave the key card technology in place. Wonder what they'll do with the light controls in the cabin if you have no card? I know you can use an old credit or store card, but won't that be changed too?

Too many questions. Bed time.

Maureen

I'm not sure they could even do that. It would seem to me that once they install the equipment needed to open your cabin, or pay for dinner or a purchase, etc., the technology they have now with the key cards would be obsolete? I could be very wrong, but it just doesn't seem as if they would leave the key card technology in place. Wonder what they'll do with the light controls in the cabin if you have no card? I know you can use an old credit or store card, but won't that be changed too?

Too many questions. Bed time.

Maureen

On the Majestic they are using cruise cards that are compatible with the new technology.

Like the Medallion you just put it near your door lock to open the door.

Due to the new technology in these cards, you cannot punch a hole in them to attach to a lanyard. So maybe Princess can sell you a $20 holder to wear the cruise card around your neck.

On the Majestic they are using cruise cards that are compatible with the new technology.

Like the Medallion you just put it near your door lock to open the door.

Due to the new technology in these cards, you cannot punch a hole in them to attach to a lanyard. So maybe Princess can sell you a $20 holder to wear the cruise card around your neck.

Thanks[emoji1327]. Now I know. And I'll sleep easier.

Will carry in my pocket just like you can with a cruise card. Don't require any accessories. They should give away accessories as trivia prizes.

Maybe to the team with the lowest score as they should be the dumbest and most likely to lose the medallion?

I used to go to a Pub Trivia every week where the team with the lowest score won 6 cans of sardines, the idea being that fish is reputed to be good for the brain so they should eat the sardines and score better the next week at Trivia.

I dislike the whole medallion concept.

My head is spinning...I will be on the Caribbean Princess 3/18/2018 sailing when the Medallion is introduced on that ship. The videos that I have watched made me understand that I will receive the Medallion along with my choice of how to wear it before I sail...it will come to my home in a nice box after I have answered all the questions in order to make it work. I haven't received the survey...do I understand this thread to say that the survey is asking how much you would pay for the bracelet or necklace...so that it is not included in the cruise fare after all? I have read that the cost of the Medallion if you should lose it is $10.

My travel agent had a cruise expo a couple of weeks ago...I had a list of questions regarding the Medallion to ask the Princess rep, but he didn't show up!

Susan

I just got the survey as well.... 3 different options for purchase they are proposing... 1 - Lanyard 2 - Sports Clip 3 - Wrist Band (looks like fitbit'sh)

I'll use a 4th option, in the safe or the bottom of the deep blue sea. I won't use it. If there comes a time where the medallion is mandatory then I'll keep it in an RFID wallet to prevent it from being read and only take it out to enter my cabin or pay for something. I won't be tracked, it's not Princess' business where I am every second in order to tailor "sales" to me.

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 1

Would you please post where you read that.

If they were to charge me - anything- I would just ask for an old cruise card.

I believe it was on a different Medallion thread. I'm not sure how far back you'd have to go to find it (at least a couple of months), but it was a long thread.

We attended a "Princess Night" put on by our travel agent. The Princess rep talked all about the Medallion.

You can opt out of using it if you would prefer a cruise card.

You do not need to purchase any type of holder for the medallion if you don't want to - it can be carried in your pocket or purse.

If you lose it (on the ship) the staff can locate it electronically.

It is waterproof so you can shower or snorkel with it.

You can pick any colour you want for it except black. (so no pretend elites)

It will be mailed to you about 3 weeks before your cruise. Supposedly, when you get to the ship you will be able to just walk on - no checking in.

If I think of anything else they told us I will add it in.

The rep did say, back in the day when they changed from actual keys to keys cards there was a huge outcry as people didn't like that idea. Princess expects people to complain about this change too. We are creatures of habit and most of us resist change at first. But when we use the new technology, lots of us get used to it and actually like it. When I told my 29 year old son about the medallions and the fact we would have them on our next Princess cruise he was all excited. He loves technology and is always looking at what's new.

To be honest, I am looking forward to trying out the medallions.

We attended a "Princess Night" put on by our travel agent. The Princess rep talked all about the Medallion.

You do not need to purchase any type of holder for the medallion if you don't want to - it can be carried in your pocket or purse.

It will be mailed to you about 3 weeks before your cruise. Supposedly, when you get to the ship you will be able to just walk on - no checking in.

The rep did say, back in the day when they changed from actual keys to keys cards there was a huge outcry as people didn't like that idea. Princess expects people to complain about this change too. We are creatures of habit and most of us resist change at first. But when we use the new technology, lots of us get used to it and actually like it. When I told my 29 year old son about the medallions and the fact we would have them on our next Princess cruise he was all excited. He loves technology and is always looking at what's new.

Thanks Daisyloo...that helps a lot. But so I understand correctly, only the Medallion will be mailed to us? If we choose to use some sort of holder (bracelet or necklace), can we buy that when we get onboard or order ahead of time?

Thanks for great info! I posted on a different thread a while ago about Walt Disney World doing a similar thing for their guests staying at their resorts on Disney World Properties and it's your park hopper pass, your room key etc etc. I'm sure in the long run, I'm sure it will be fine. Disney is kinda successful lol.;p

My husband and I are Platinum members and we are on the first 3 Ocean Medallion cruises on the Regal starting Nov 13th and we haven't receive the survey email. For that matter, we have yet to receive any communication from Princess regarding our upcoming Ocean Medallion cruises. We assume we will get our Medallion packet a few weeks prior to sailing.

DITTO, except I'm not on all 3.

A few observations:

Not only the Disney parks but the Disney cruise ships use the RFID devices.

We are staying at a hotel before boarding our AK cruise in Seattle. The hotel room "key" simply has to be held up near the sensor on the door to open it. Our rental car uses a fob so that it only has to be in my pocket to operate the car including unlocking the door. It all is very handy indeed.

For those worried about being "tracked", I assume you keep your cell phone off since the cell phones can be and are tracked. The police and EMS uses this along with others. With AT&T you can pay to track all your cell phones online so you know where someone in your family is presently located.

The medallion is a RFID device and all it has is a digital number. The computer system has a database with digital numbers and their owners. So if you lose the medallion off the ship, it contains no information other than the digital number. You have to have access to the ship computer database to get the information.

We will welcome the new medallions. I will keep it in my pocket like I presently do with my cruise card.

It does not cause cancer, sterilization or other medical issues. :rolleyes:

I've enjoyed reading through this conversation. Some comments hve been absolutely hilarious. This one, however, is, really, very intriguing.

Hahah that's awesome!!!! I think there must be 2 different survey versions.

Cause my spouse had 3 boxes and he could put what was the max he would pay, the minimum he would pay and then the cost that would "make him have to seriously consider buying it" :confused:

Huh? What is the minimum you would pay?

I can just see somebody answering that question: "I absolutely refuse to pay less than $10 for it, and you can't force me to pay less."

I have read that the cost of the Medallion if you should lose it is $10.

I believe it was on a different Medallion thread. I'm not sure how far back you'd have to go to find it (at least a couple of months), but it was a long thread.

The OCEAN FAQs clearly answer many of the repeatedly ask questions on this forum including replacement. Those answers are more credible to me than what's been posted on any CC thread.

Whoever posted it would cost $10 to replace the Medallion was spreading a baseless rumor because there is no fee & hopefully facts will end such rumors.

What happens if I lose my Medallion? How do I get a replacement? Is there a cost?

If you notify the crew that an Ocean Medallion has been lost, it will be identified and/or replaced at no cost. Your Ocean Medallion can be disabled at any time by you or an appropriate crew member.

Here's the link to those FAQs with the current answers about the new system which are Frequently Asked Questions.

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion-class/ocean-faq/

Well, the former CEO of Continental Airlines once said you can make a pizza so cheap nobody will eat it. I would worry about the metal pendant at $10 turning my décolletage green. My worries would diminish at $20.