Murder on Emerald Princess

Aquahound

There are plenty of places where readers are discussing this sad event. It's being discussed elsewhere wrt the domestic violence component. No need to shut down conversation, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My BIl is going to kill my sister and I can assure you that I have come to terms with: there is nothing I can do about it.

They are adults. You can't tell adults what to do. You can't make them get help.

One Christmas card with a $25 check from my father that I had not spoken to in 10 years saved my life.

My husband had me by the throat up against the wall and my feet could not touch the ground. He said if I ever tried to take the kids (1 & 3) and leave he'd break both my legs and arms and throw me in the Columbia River (I can see the river from where I was) It was December and very cold.

Then came the card from my dad. Said he'd like it if I would get the kids something. Long story short somehow the animal let the (also abused wife) of his friend take me to town...my driving privileges having long been rescinded. Under pain of death we were to go to Sears and straight back. We went to Sears but I convinced her to stop at the courthouse. Once told of the urgency the clerk filled out some order that included removing me and the kids....walked into the courtroom interrupted the current proceedings to get it signed.

The extra 15 minutes was not noticed by our husbands.

Within days we were evacuated and freed.

Never give up on your sister. It's a really long story why we end up is this type of marriage and even longer story why we stay.

One of the main tools they use is isolation from your family (and unapproved friends)

Just please never give up. Let her know you are willing to help when she's ready.

Thanks, but I gave up. I have spoken to priests, psychiatrists, counselors, etc etc etc. Someone called CPS (who did go out and take a look and then family turned on me when they decided I called and made me the evil one etc). I have learned through experience and my own counseling that the only thing I can do is detach and remove myself from the situation for my own preservation. So this is what I have done.

My other sister and I have even discussed what we would tell Greta when it hit the news-- how we would explain this when national news got wind of it.

I barely have a relationship with them now. Minimal contact. I don't put myself or my family (my family that I created is my priority now) in harm's way-- at any given minute he could snap (this case really brings that home) and no one knows when that will be.

Understood. Just let her know that if she's ever ready to leave you'll be there. Doesn't mean you have to insert yourself or expose your family to the toxicity of her life.

After my dad's card got me out my sister took us in until I got welfare, section 8 housing food stamps etc.

I now have a masters in statistics from a well respected university and teach at a college. I thought I had no where to go.........

Perditax-

Also tongue-in-cheek, I hope. Getting news from websleuths and CC? Tabloids too? The point about People magazine is that this case is on their cover. Its National news. In USA Today too. Was all over the national news whether you watch it or not. The fact that its not being discussed on roll calls does not make it insignificant. There were precious few comments on the roll call of my trip (I know- I started the thread). Most were auto- posts. And one very helpful post with links to weather forecasts. Sure, not everyone cruising has heard about this incident. But many have. Many people asked me if it was our cruise week. So form my n=1 experience, people do watch/listen to the news (though many now less so given all the political stuff people don't want to hear).

As a long time Princess cruiser, is it not time to put this to rest...at least for the sake of the family?

Hello Dearie!

IMO, I hope the thread will continue being a source of information until the very end. And I pray for justice and peace for the sake of this family AND for our society!

Toot-Toot!!

Cheerio, Dearies! :*

I did read an article this weekend that mentioned she had asked for a divorce while on the cruise as well as other speculation tied to that, that while certainly not condoning anything, starts to paint a different picture. More details will certainly emerge in court. It is very intriguing; who knows if we will ever know the entire story of what transpired prior and in that room that evening.

As an aside, it stays light very late (until almost 10pm), and sunrise was around 4 am. So if it happened at 9pm or so, it was still daylight.

Even if she did ask him for a divorce, that is not grounds for assaulting/killing her! While the old adage is "nobody is blameless", asking for a divorce from this fella sounds like good judgment. Just the location and timing is askew.

As an aside, it stays light very late (until almost 10pm), and sunrise was around 4 am. So if it happened at 9pm or so, it was still daylight.

Even if she did ask him for a divorce, that is not grounds for assaulting/killing her! While the old adage is "nobody is blameless", asking for a divorce from this fella sounds like good judgment. Just the location and timing is askew.

From what I read on other forums/news sites, speculation until in court, is that the cause of her asking had to do with a third party and not the husband.

But like many other sad cases of intrigue from cruise ships, we may never know for certain what transpired. It's human nature to be curious about things like this.

You did bring up an interesting point that even I overlooked; that it was daylight out and not night time due to time of year and location.

Here's a question for our legal experts: If it were to go to trial, where would the trial be held (I'm assuming Juneau)? And would witnesses - such as cruise ship staff, passengers, and family members, be required to go to Alaska to testify? Who pays for travel and lodging? Or could all the testimony be done with recorded depositions?

I am not seeing articles or anything that implies she had another romantic party. As for the court date-- weren't there witnesses, like their kids, to the attack? If so, I'd bet my shorts this will plead out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I see this thread is still on the 1st page...I wish it wasn't so I would stop reading.... but curiosity just leads me to read again. So I guess some posters want MODS to shut it down, really? with as many views it as it had is so few days.. Probably one of the most viewed threads ever on CC.....

Are cameras/live feed allowed in the courtroom for Federal trials?

That's a good question. I know in our courts, (not federal) it is up to the judge. The media must submit a written request and the judge has the authority to grant or deny.

I am not seeing articles or anything that implies she had another romantic party. As for the court date-- weren't there witnesses, like their kids, to the attack? If so, I'd bet my shorts this will plead out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's on a forum discussing crimes; not cruising; not a news article with verified sources. I saw a People article stating about the divorce but it was a private forum that mentioned other parties involved with the victim.

Her alleged killer was her husband of 18 years, 39-year-old Kenneth Manzanares. The high school sweethearts had been celebrating their wedding anniversary with their daughters and extended family on a week-long Princess Cruises voyage from Seattle to Alaska.

According to the source, the night of the killing, Kristy’s father and brother broke down the cabin door after hearing Kristy screaming from her room. In the blood-covered cabin, they discovered Kristy mortally wounded and Kenneth allegedly covered in blood as well.

Ever since, Kristy’s family has been reeling.

Not for federal grand jury. Nor are the jurors allowed to discuss cases afterwards.

I just sat on a jury and we were allowed to discuss the crime after the final verdict was reached. We are not allowed to make any money off of the trial until 90 days after the verdict. The jurors names are sealed for several years and if they are released we will be notified beforehand. If we wish our names to remain sealed, we go before a judge and request it. I have sat on a jury before, but this one case was stressful.