Why does this whole drinks package business have to be so complicated?

I've been following the thread about Royal's plans for drink packages with interest and maybe I'm just being dumb but it seems to me that they really are overcomplicating the whole business. There are so many restrictions... you can have this but not that, you have to pay extra if your drink costs too much, you can't share...

Would it be so hard for them just to do away with the drink packages altogether and instead have a single pre-purchased discounted drink credit in varying amounts, similar to the pre-purchased discounted arcade credit I'm seeing on my cruise planner right now? Use it to get whatever drinks you want, when you want, share it with whoever you want, and when it's done, it's done?

DH and I never buy drink packages because we don't drink enough to break even on any of them, so we just pay as we go, but I would happily sign up for something like this.

The purpose of the drink packages on Royal is to make money, not make things easier for guests. If it does make things easier for guests, that's only a side effect.

Also, Royal does offer a discounted drink card (10 drinks for $79 or so, shareable) in the latter part of the cruise. I agree that this would be nice to have at the beginning of the cruise, but I doubt that will happen because they don't want to cannibalize sales from the drink packages so early in the cruise.

What is so complicated about the package? It covers drinks up to a certain price. Above that price you pay the difference. Sorry, I see that as pretty simple.

Totally agree, had package last 5 cruises and will get it again in a few months

The purpose of the drink packages on Royal is to make money, not make things easier for guests. If it does make things easier for guests, that's only a side effect.

This.

After so many years of operation and studies of guest purchasing patterns, the cruise lines know what will make them the most money and they do that. Just like any other business, they exist to make a profit and do what is necessary to maximize that profit.

What is so complicated about the package? It covers drinks up to a certain price. Above that price you pay the difference. Sorry, I see that as pretty simple.

Well, you'd think it was simple. But the package cost varies from sailing to sailing, depending on the ship or available "sale". The "up to a certain price" also varies. And the on board drink prices are constantly changing and inconsistent from ship to ship or by itinerary. So, is a glass of prosecco included? Well, it depends....

Well, you'd think it was simple. But the package cost varies from sailing to sailing, depending on the ship or available "sale". The "up to a certain price" also varies. And the on board drink prices are constantly changing and inconsistent from ship to ship or by itinerary. So, is a glass of prosecco included? Well, it depends....

So, just worry about the price for your sailings and not others. Prices change, just because someone paid a certain price for their sailing this week, doesn't mean my sailing next week is going to be the same. I look at the available prices for my sailings in my cruise planners and don't worry about anyone else.

It was only $59 (plus 18% gratuity) on our Empress cruise this month. A real bargain!

I agree, so far, Empress has the best price I've seen. People have wondered if the cards are marked differently and if an Empress card could be used on other ships.

I agree, so far, Empress has the best price I've seen. People have wondered if the cards are marked differently and if an Empress card could be used on other ships.

I am assuming the cards are only for your sailing, and not for any future ones, otherwise people would just buy extra and then never need to buy a package, or wait for the cards to be released later in the cruise.

I am assuming the cards are only for your sailing, and not for any future ones, otherwise people would just buy extra and then never need to buy a package, or wait for the cards to be released later in the cruise.

The only time we've had a card was on Vision a while back, and that card was not marked with a date or ship name. However, not having seen cards from other ships, the design might have been unique to Vision.

Also, Royal does offer a discounted drink card (10 drinks for $79 or so, shareable) in the latter part of the cruise. I agree that this would be nice to have at the beginning of the cruise, but I doubt that will happen because they don't want to cannibalize sales from the drink packages so early in the cruise.

If they would do that on day 1, this might be a package I would do.

I freely admit that I may be seeing complications where they don't exist.

It's just a pity that there is no alternative for folks like us, where none of the packages fits because our small spend includes a mix of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks and coffees. It would be really great to be able to have the option of a pre-purchased credit for our drinks that would give us even a tiny discount on our overall shared spend.

Sadly, since our most expensive drink is usually DH's beer with dinner I'm not sure that even the 10-drink card would work for us. I guess it would depend on how early in the cruise it was offered. :(

... Sadly, since our most expensive drink is usually DH's beer with dinner I'm not sure that even the 10-drink card would work for us. I guess it would depend on how early in the cruise it was offered. :(

You are correct, since the demise of the old Select (beer/wine) package, it's tougher to make the Deluxe package economical for those who are primarily beer drinkers. I would not even consider the drink card for beer.

Its 44 a day plus 18 percent will buy it later in about a week for November cruise on Navigator

That is a discounted price and may not be there in a week. If you know that you are going to purchase it, you should grab it while you can, prices change frequently.

That is a discounted price and may not be there in a week. If you know that you are going to purchase it, you should grab it while you can, prices change frequently.

I agree, but it has been 20 percent all year except for a brief point when it was 30 percent off

I agree, but it has been 20 percent all year except for a brief point when it was 30 percent off

I waited and regret it. It's now $55 for my sailing on Oasis. They are trying to push the voom with it for $59.... but I don't want our internet to work. LOL.

It is simple for us. We buy the package and go the bar and get a drink. I don't think I've ever been charged an extra charge... I may be fortunate, I don't drink expensive wine but I have bought a lot of the mixed drinks on any of the menus.

Normally buy it a little later, but do not want to take a chance so just bought it so for 9 day cruise it is 467 each including the 18 percent , will turn diamond plus on this cruise so hopefully they will have the 30 percent off for our Oasis cruise next year