If you don't have a passport

marco

We are taking my F-I-L on a Caribbean cruise. He's 92. He does not have a passport and at this stage in his life would never have need for one in the future. At this point, we'd just as soon not spend the $$$$ to get one. What documentation will suffice w/ o a passport?

We are taking my F-I-L on a Caribbean cruise. He's 92. He does not have a passport and at this stage in his life would never have need for one in the future. At this point, we'd just as soon not spend the $$$$ to get one. What documentation will suffice w/ o a passport?

If the cruise starts and ends from the same US port, and he is a natural born US citizen, then you can get by with a certified copy of the birth certificate and government issued photo ID.

Marco, I have probably established myself as the most negative person on Cruise Critic regarding the idea of traveling without a passport.

The No. 1 reason for having a passport is being prepared in case something bad happens. Your father-in-law is 92 years old. Now, I'm sure you are going to tell me that he is "in excellent health." Just for the sake of argument, let's say that the stress of the trip does cause some problem for him. You take him to the ship's infirmary. I am very confident that the staff and the facilities will be excellent. However, they may very well tell you, "Your father is quite ill. We can stabilize him here, but he needs more attention than we can give him. We are going to have to transport him to a hospital in the next port."

Consider all the tasks that you and your wife will now have to accomplish--packing up your belongings, accompanying your father to the hospital, interfacing with hospital staff, getting hotel accommodations for yourselves, dealing with insurance and, finally, arranging for transportation back home. Wait. In order to leave whatever island or country you are in, he has to have a passport. No probblem. You've been bored, anyway, and would enjoy another task to complete. Just zip over to the American Consulate, and they can fix you up. Except were you lucky enough to be in a port that has an American consulate? Maybe yes, maybe no. Is there even an American consulate on the island? So, now even finding an American consulate is complicated. Oh, and is this a weekend? If so, the American consulate is closed until Monday. Whenever you get to the person who can help you, he's not going to just say, "OK, Marco, here you go." You will have to provide proof of citizenship, and, guess what, that proof will have to be verified. Days, not minutes.

But at least you saved $150 on passport fees and a picture.

As long as we're talking about money, how much is this cruise costing--cruise passage, transportation to the port, fun things you want to do on the cruise? Is is on the order of a few thousand dollars?

And you feel you have to save $150?

If that is the case, can you really afford to cruise?

I'll now yield the floor, and let others come in here and tell you, "It's no problem. I've taken many cruises without a passport, and nothing ever happened to me."

PP gave incomplete information Some Caribbean cruises stop in Cuba. Passengers on those cruises require passport and Visa.

Some cruise lines require a passport.

Good point, forgot about Cuba.

Just curious. Will you also not spend on travel insurance?

He's 92

From what I can tell you can't even get decent travel insurance for someone that age (everything I've read sort of cuts off at 84/85yo) but I could be mistaken

If he injured himself or gets ill you are in trouble. At his age noro could be fatal

He could slip and break a hip

Get a pp and look into getting some kind of medicare etc travel policy if at all possible

Not to be a Debby downer but the risks are massive at his age

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ignore the flamers. The points are valid though. The peace of mind is worth the cost of the passport.

We took my parents on a cruise through the Panama Canal when my Dad was in his 80's and had recently had a stroke. We knew the risks of taking him on a ship so far from home but it was something he really wanted to do. We looked at risks and made plans to address those issues. One of our most memorable family vacations.

Ignore the flamers. The points are valid though. The peace of mind is worth the cost of the passport.

We took my parents on a cruise through the Panama Canal when my Dad was in his 80's and had recently had a stroke. We knew the risks of taking him on a ship so far from home but it was something he really wanted to do. We looked at risks and made plans to address those issues. One of our most memorable family vacations.

I'm not flaming!! I'm stating real issues

Sorry if that's not politically correct but I tell it like it is and dont keep my head in the sand

This guy is taking massive risk but hey let's stay warm and fuzzy and give him the thumbs up that he doesn't need a pp for dad

Edited by luvtheships

Not sure you can even get a decent policy at that age

You can get him the insurance offered by the cruise line at any age. It isn't the best coverage but does provide some medical and evacuation benefit. For anyone over the age of 75 or so, it's almost always the most affordable option. We add an annual medical/evacuation policy for extra coverage. As others have said, at age 92, the cruise line insurance may be the only option.

OP marco, I see you've been a member here for 17 1/2 years. You've read all the threads, probably shaken your head on more than a few occasions. :D Please do consider getting travel insurance/medical coverage for your FIL. I have seen what illness and old age did to our four parents - as mentioned, even a small trip and fall can be life-threatening at his age.

Have fun, be safe. Concerning the passport, that's obviously a personal decision but if your closed-loop cruise doesn't go to Cuba, I know many people here on these boards have successfully used other documents to cruise.

Most of you have no idea what the real issue is with the OP. The F-I-L is about the same age my dad would have been. He had a home birth, not a hospital and did not have a state issued birth certificate. We finally got a state issued one, but it took months. He did not need a BC to get a DL, or a SSN, or even his security clearance. Times were much different in the 30's and 40's about things like that.

OP needs to first find out if the even has a BC that can be certified before figuring out what to do.

Re the insurance issue: check FIL's Medicare Supplement policy -- it may pay outside the USA!

Medicare does NOT pay outside the US. But my current supplement pays a lifetime max of $50,000.00. Worth a check.

I hope FIL goes on the cruise & has a good time.

Marco, I have probably established myself as the most negative person on Cruise Critic regarding the idea of traveling without a passport.

The No. 1 reason for having a passport is being prepared in case something bad happens. Your father-in-law is 92 years old. Now, I'm sure you are going to tell me that he is "in excellent health." Just for the sake of argument, let's say that the stress of the trip does cause some problem for him. You take him to the ship's infirmary. I am very confident that the staff and the facilities will be excellent. However, they may very well tell you, "Your father is quite ill. We can stabilize him here, but he needs more attention than we can give him. We are going to have to transport him to a hospital in the next port."

Consider all the tasks that you and your wife will now have to accomplish--packing up your belongings, accompanying your father to the hospital, interfacing with hospital staff, getting hotel accommodations for yourselves, dealing with insurance and, finally, arranging for transportation back home. Wait. In order to leave whatever island or country you are in, he has to have a passport. No probblem. You've been bored, anyway, and would enjoy another task to complete. Just zip over to the American Consulate, and they can fix you up. Except were you lucky enough to be in a port that has an American consulate? Maybe yes, maybe no. Is there even an American consulate on the island? So, now even finding an American consulate is complicated. Oh, and is this a weekend? If so, the American consulate is closed until Monday. Whenever you get to the person who can help you, he's not going to just say, "OK, Marco, here you go." You will have to provide proof of citizenship, and, guess what, that proof will have to be verified. Days, not minutes.

But at least you saved $150 on passport fees and a picture.

As long as we're talking about money, how much is this cruise costing--cruise passage, transportation to the port, fun things you want to do on the cruise? Is is on the order of a few thousand dollars?

And you feel you have to save $150?

If that is the case, can you really afford to cruise?

I'll now yield the floor, and let others come in here and tell you, "It's no problem. I've taken many cruises without a passport, and nothing ever happened to me."

As the proud owner of a 91 year old dad, I am in full agreement. Passport and travel insurance are essential.

Most of you have no idea what the real issue is with the OP. The F-I-L is about the same age my dad would have been. He had a home birth, not a hospital and did not have a state issued birth certificate. We finally got a state issued one, but it took months. He did not need a BC to get a DL, or a SSN, or even his security clearance. Times were much different in the 30's and 40's about things like that.

OP needs to first find out if the even has a BC that can be certified before figuring out what to do.

If this is the case then they may have trouble even getting a passport. Very valid issue and needs to be checked ASAP.

But agree with the other posters that at his age it's unnecessarily reckless to travel out of the country without a passport.

I too recommend a passport.

I know there is a price for this but should he have to get off the ship and fly home a passport would be required from places not part of the USA.

I realize it comes down to risk and cost but that is something to think about.

Keith

As the proud owner of a 91 year old dad, I am in full agreement. Passport and travel insurance are essential.

I am in total agreement with this too. I should be helping my father apply for his next passport and would not have the gall to suggest to him that he may expire before the passport. You should always be talking about what amazing and good things you are going to be doing together with people of this age next year and beyond.

Regards John