First time on royal Caribbean

I've been on carnival 13 times and twice on ncl.... I thought I'd give rccl a shot...I'm not into fancy cruising or snooty people. I'm wondering how rccl compares to carnival in regards to onboard fun....I pretty much enjoy going from venue to venue looking for good music and fun company to share a beer with... I'm really hoping it's not gonna be an "in bed by 10pm" kind of cruise....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Welcome.

We have sailed, Cunard, Disney and now RCI the last 8 cruises,.

Each company has its own unique traveling style with many similarities, yet some difference.

Hope you find your experience satisfactory.

Safe travels.

That depends on a lot of things. Which ship your on for one thing,. How old you are. If you want to party, you will find it. If you want a lot of partying, take a short cruise.Make sure you go with some fun people! Check out your cruise date and see if there are any fun people sailing on your date. I just got off Liberty Of The Seas, and we had a great CC group. Have a Carnival Freedom cruise coming up, and the FB group is a lot of fun. It will be what you make it! Have fun!!

RCL ships may be a small step up (I read better cabin decor than CCL, swim wear not allowed at buffet etc.) but it is not anything "fancy". They are still a mass-market line and far from being a luxury cruise line.

I've been on carnival 13 times and twice on ncl.... I thought I'd give rccl a shot...I'm not into fancy cruising or snooty people. I'm wondering how rccl compares to carnival in regards to onboard fun....I pretty much enjoy going from venue to venue looking for good music and fun company to share a beer with... I'm really hoping it's not gonna be an "in bed by 10pm" kind of cruise....

I have only been on Carnival once but nearly 20 times on other cruises .The earliest I have ever gone to bed on an RCI cruise is 2AM.

You should have done a search before starting a new thread.

If you do a search.

You will find the 3000 ongoing threads on this very subject.

It gets asked almost everyday.

It's people like you with your opinions why I left cruise critic for a few years.....I had a question, I asked it in my own words...I don't have all day to sit around and scroll through hundreds of posts looking for someone who asked a similar question. I imagine every possible question about cruising has been asked before....

I think it really depends on the ship and the luck of the draws as for the types of cruisers!:rolleyes: We've been on some cruises with a lot of party people (especially when a group of motorcyclists were on board):evilsmile:, and some cruises with a more laid back crowd.:halo: We always have a great time either way, as there is usually something fun going on somewhere on the ship! We began cruising on the Voyager class of RCCL ships but now prefer the Freedom class or above, as there is more to do! The Schooner (piano) bar is usually a great place to gather! So, what ship are you considering (if I can be nosy)?

Carnival & Royal are more similar than they are different. As others have mentioned, night life will differ depending on ship, itinerary, time of year, length of cruise, departure port, and just random luck. Longer or "special" (Panama Canal, S Caribbean, etc) itineraries are going to be a more "mature" crowd - that goes for any cruise line, not just Royal. I've found Royal is not quite as lively as Carnival, but there are still plenty of friendly folks out and about at all times of day/night. Both lines have similar daily activities - sexiest man/woman, belly flop contest, trivia, games, etc.

Carnival & Royal are more similar than they are different. As others have mentioned, night life will differ depending on ship, itinerary, time of year, length of cruise, departure port, and just random luck. Longer or "special" (Panama Canal, S Caribbean, etc) itineraries are going to be a more "mature" crowd - that goes for any cruise line, not just Royal. I've found Royal is not quite as lively as Carnival, but there are still plenty of friendly folks out and about at all times of day/night. Both lines have similar daily activities - sexiest man/woman, belly flop contest, trivia, games, etc.

I'm going on the 4 day best of British Columbia cruise.... I'm anticipating an older laid back crowd, but it is Canada.... maybe some crazy Canadian cruisers will crash the party???

i have been on 13 cruises the last 4 have been on royal all the rest were on carnaval just booked number 14 on royals rhapsody and i prefer royal dont think i will ever go back but you never know???

If you do a search.

Nice. With that theory, there would never ever be any new posts on Cruise Critic.

I'm going on the 4 day best of British Columbia cruise.... I'm anticipating an older laid back crowd, but it is Canada.... maybe some crazy Canadian cruisers will crash the party???

It will be an older crowd than a 4-day Caribbean sailing for sure, but it won't be all "gray hairs" and hoverounds either. Not to worry.....most Royal passengers are far from "snooty" and, for the most part, are similar to other major cruise lines. Passengers won't be much different than a Carnival cruise were it to travel to the same location. If you're not happy with your fellow passengers, it probably has more to do with the itinerary or just luck of the draw than the cruise line brand.

• 4 weeks later...
It's people like you with your opinions why I left cruise critic for a few years.....I had a question, I asked it in my own words...I don't have all day to sit around and scroll through hundreds of posts looking for someone who asked a similar question. I imagine every possible question about cruising has been asked before....

It would be nice if CC had a "like" button! I like your response! I get so tired of comments like this from people on these boards, especially to new people. Not all of us do have time to search every question.

Depends on time of year more than anything. I didn't find Carnival more "fun" in any way, shape or form. In fact, the venues seemed much more lively, more of them of varying differences on Royal. People are people and these are 2 very similar cruise lines. You'll find them similar. But with the larger Royal ships, they naturally have more people and more venues so more opportunities for fun!

If you do a search.

And if they did a search and pulled up an old thread and posted on there, they'd get crucified for pulling up an old thread. Happened today - pretty sure with a thread comparing RCCL and Carnival actually.

I am not expressing an opinion about whether you should have posted your question or not, or whether you should have done a search or not.

Read your own words.

"I don't have all day to sit around and scroll through hundreds of posts".

There *is* a search function which would narrow down those "hundreds of posts" into those most likely to answer your question.

But more importantly, you are saying that YOUR time is more valuable than anyone else's time. It's your issue. You don't have time to search. (so you wrote). But you expect everyone else to use their time, AGAIN, to answer your question, when they have probably answered it multiple times before.

Just sayin'.

Possibly new to RCL (considering TA in Nov on Rhapsody) other than food and entertainment which is always personal preference and subjective what is different about RCL compared to other lines?

Unique ships.