Do you pack a new item to wear each night on a 14 night cruise?

birdie16

heck no.......too much cost and effort with luggage and I am not really sure I have 14 complete outfits! We take a variety of pieces that can mix and match around a common color scheme. I take a couple of black and neutral outfits for night and swap out jewelry, scarfs or light weight jackets. Staying with fewer color schemes cut down on shoes also. Husband takes one dark suit and a few extra slacks and shirts. We re-wear a lot of daily clothes and have enjoyed the 20.00 stuff it full laundry bag option as it really holds a lot of laundry ....... we figure if we can afford a cruise we can afford 20.00 for laundry. Never had a problem with any clothes coming back damaged yet. We even have friends who have cruised close to 20 times and they take various items they no longer wear often or in some cases shopped thrift store before they went on cruise and then they leave their items behind for cruise staff to use, give away or throw away......thus leaving them more space in their luggage for items they want to purchase?? Oh well, to each his own but definitely don't try to take so many clothes

I have four outfits that I take on a cruise regardless of whether it is a 7 day or a 14 day cruise. I mix and match and change my jewelry. No one has ever commented and I doubt that they even notice.

Just curious. I love to pack light but we are going on a 14 night cruise. Do you wear repeats? I don't want to lug double the luggage I usually do for a 7 night cruise.

For a 14 night cruise, I pack:

8-10 tops

6 bottoms

2 casual dresses

2 dressy dresses

3 jackets/cardigans/toppers

all co-ordinated so I can mix & match and make different outfits. But my wardrobe is built around co-ordianting pieces made to mix & match, so I have many outfits from fewer individual pieces.

I realized a long time ago that other people on board barely notice what we wear unless it is outlandish, exceedingly revealing, or highly unusual.

The older I get, the less time I want to devote to shopping, packing, unpacking, and otherwise wrangling clothes and accessories.

We're leaving soon for 17 nights, five nights in England before a 12-night Princess cruise around the British isles. I'll be taking a sports coat, two pairs of slacks, one pair of jeans, one pair of shorts, three T-shirts, seven pairs of underwear and socks, two long-sleeve dress shirts, four casual shirts, sweat shirt, waterproof jacket, swim suit, and three pairs of shoes (sneakers, casual shoes that are good enough for dinner, and sandals the for pool).

I will never remember what you wear and vice versa...did 3 weeks in Ireland in only small carryon and backpack. Less luggage is so much easier! Cruises are packed with virtually the same clothes no matter the length. Yes, Chicos for night (lightweight, packable, changeable) in one small packing cube (1 pant, 1 skirt, 4 tops, 1 jacket). 8 assorted tops fit in another cube (long sleeve, short sleeve, heavy, light will depend on weather in cruising area), pants in another cube (waterproof, hiking pants, dressier pant, everyday pant, skirt...all black). Small cube holds 2 bras, 5 panties (Exofficio travel ones washed in sink, dry overnight...very comfortable too but I keep them for travel only). Another small cube holds 2 nighties and a few socks. If you haven't used packing cubes you haven't traveled! Have used all the methods and love them the best. They make unpacking a breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Aside from one senior on the Noordam who wore a short skirt and gogo boots each day of the cruise my wife and I never took the time to take notes on whether or not people repeated their outfits..

MIX and MATCH, pack light for 2/3 the cruise length and send out your laundry.

bosco

I also make sure I have plenty of mix and match items - OH sends his numerous shirts for laundering, but often finds on their return that some of the buttons have shattered. How do they do that?! I always take extra buttons and a sewing kit.... grrrrr. :mad:

Do you remember the old wringer washers with the rollers? They have something similar on the ship where they roll the clothes thru an industrial roller to get the moisture out of them before placing them in the dryer.

Roz

A little black dress with different scarves, stoles, jewelry and jackets can be made to look different every time. Don't take something different for each night.

On Cunard, where formal night really is formal, I pack a different outfit (gown or long skirt) for each formal night. For the informals, I take a LBD and a LRD and use accessories for variety.

I treat HAL's gala nights like Cunard's informal--LBD and vary the accessories. For the other nights, I take two pairs of dressy slacks (tan and black) and tops that I can wear with either. With switching accessories, I suppose I don't wear the exact same outfit twice, but pieces definitely get multiple wearings.

I probably take more stuff for evenings on a Caribbean cruise because daywear takes up less space. For 2 weeks in Alaska, I'm packing one LBD and DH will wear his jacket on the plane. This may be the first cruise where we haven't traveled with a garment bag full of "posh frocks."

I normally take clothes for the number of days i'm gone divided by 4, so if I'm gone 12 days, I take 3 changes of clothes. One pair long black pants, navy, black and tan capris for cooler days and night wear, with knit washable coordinating tops, 3 tanks for day, 3 cap or 3/4 sleeve for night. Along with the same color shorts, a dressy sweater, swim suit and I'm usually good with that.

Do you remember the old wringer washers with the rollers? They have something similar on the ship where they roll the clothes thru an industrial roller to get the moisture out of them before placing them in the dryer.

Roz

Roz, Thanks for that. I'd love to be able to tell you that I'm too young to remember, but sadly ..........:(

Lily

Unless you travel with steamer trunks you really have to do a bit of mixing and matching. I suppose for a man its a lot easier: just three different shirts: say blue, white, and striped, with four different ties gives 12 permutations wearing jacket and tie, 3 wearing jacket and no tie, plus 3 with no jacket.

Regardless of the length of a cruise (have done numerous 14 day thru 72 days cruises in last 10 years), I take 2, nice dressy fabric black pants, a very nice black sweater and several lovely shawls/large scarfs. Also one or two sparkly tops. I get many compliments on the colorful shawls and they are so easy to pack. Am I as dressed up as some women - NO, but I always feel like I "fit in".

I seldom remember what other women at my table wear, but one time a woman at my table had a drop-dead gorgeous dress. As far as I was concerned she could have worn it every night it was so nice to look at. More clothes do not necessarily equate to "better" dressed in my opinion.

Roz

Bit of trivia: that roller bit is called a "mangle" - an apt description I'd say

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A little black dress with different scarves, stoles, jewelry and jackets can be made to look different every time. Don't take something different for each night.

This is the key! I do wear something different every night but mostly different accessories, shawls, jewelry.. mix and match is the key.

Plus I love to shop while traveling so usually pick up a few things to freshen up looks. Another key is to limit shoes.. I travel with a pair of good comfortable walking shoes, a pair of black ballet flats for dress and another pair of some kind of Sandal. I have traveled around the world on three pairs of shoes! I put everything on a hanging rack and plan out the look for each, day and evening. Then I prune. Stick to a color palate which works together.

I worry about the ship laundry service. I sent a very nice pair of black slacks to the laundry once asking they be dry cleaned, they came back faded and shrunk. Anyone else have a problem like this?

Are you sure they were yours? [emoji1]

We're leaving soon for 17 nights, five nights in England before a 12-night Princess cruise around the British isles. I'll be taking a sports coat, two pairs of slacks, one pair of jeans, one pair of shorts, three T-shirts, seven pairs of underwear and socks, two long-sleeve dress shirts, four casual shirts, sweat shirt, waterproof jacket, swim suit, and three pairs of shoes (sneakers, casual shoes that are good enough for dinner, and sandals the for pool).

I'd put in some extra warm layers too if you're from somewhere warm because the weather here in the UK is especially cool and wet at the moment. Not even having to open windows this week and wearing a jumper in the office instead of the usual August swelter.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app