Noticed this is the most popular activity upon embarkation?

ashoor

Been on two cruises already and didn't do this myself as I wasn't even aware of it. But I noticed the first and one of the most popular things people do upon embarkation is to go to the buffet?

I am assuming it is the only place that is open for dining? No other cafes or room service is available? And is it busy at the Windjammer as a result of that?

Been on two cruises already and didn't do this myself as I wasn't even aware of it. But I noticed the first and one of the most popular things people do upon embarkation is to go to the buffet?

I am assuming it is the only place that is open for dining? No other cafes or room service is available? And is it busy at the Windjammer as a result of that?

It depends on the cruise line. Some have a MDR open during embarkation and some don't.

And why not? Often boarding starts around lunch time, and a lunchtime meal is usually something people are used to having at that time.

You don't mention which cruise line, but some have the MDR open for lunch, such as the Botticelli dining room on Princess and one of the three MDRs on Disney. Others may have specialty restaurants open for lunch for a nominal fee. And almost all will have the pool side grill open as well. A few even have healthy alternative food available for lunch as well, such as at the Aqua Spa Cafe on Celebrity.

Aside from getting hungry after all the excitement waiting for the cruise, food is one of the major items to check out if the ship chosen is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Whether it's the buffets, the Main Dining Room, counter service venues or Specialty Restaurants, the overall dining experience is one of the top reasons most people book cruises in the 1st place.

Have never visited the buffet (or MDR) on boarding. We have several times received communication telling us to come later to board; until we figured out that this is a suggestion not an order, we ate at the airport or hotel! When we board early we're shortly away from breakfast.

Before or after leaving hand-carry items in the cabin, if the ship is new to me, I wander around admiring the artwork and plotting ways to areas of interest. As soon as muster drill is over I find a place for sailaway (and order a "boat drink")!

The way to stay away from the buffet, is to have a nice shore lunch, and board later in the day-like at 2, when the lines are down at embarkation. Food, drink and party! That's what folks like to do when they board.

And rather than taking the time for a shore lunch - and also paying for it - we always go to the MDR or other open dining venue for lunch when on board, never to the buffet area. Why pay for lunch when you can get it on the ship (you already paid for it, after all), while at the same time enjoying the beginning of the cruise? I am there to be on a cruise ship, not to be on shore. :cool:

We have a tradition of having the first cocktail of the cruise shortly after boarding, and lunchtime seems like a good time to do that. I don't want to drink on an empty stomach, so lunch seems like a good idea too! If the MDR is open, I don't mind going there, but sometimes the buffet is the only game in town.

I still remember our first cruise ever, about 5 years ago for our honeymoon. Mariner of the Seas from Rome.

While I had done my research, it wasn't good enough. Heck I didn't even know about CruiseCritic.

We board and the ship looks empty to us. Walking in the promenade, we find a Starbucks and buy an expensive $5 coffee for each one of us. I am not a big fan of Starbucks but I had missed coffee (Tim Horton's anyone?)

Finally, and hour or so later, we finally eat at the 24 hour cafe place and at night we are at the MDR.

Days later, day 5 to be specific, we realized the ship had a buffet!!!

Sure. We try to board early and boarding usually starts around 11; so it's right at lunch time when you get on the ship. We usually do the buffet for lunch anyway - generally just soup and salad; so no reason to skip embarkation day. Plus we don't want to waste an hour on lunch in the MDR. Would rather grab a bite and explore the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A buffet is not usually a part of people's everyday lives, and it can be exciting. Combine it with the thrill of being on vacation, sailing off to (sometimes) unknown lands, and just the whole exciting cruise experience, and it all seems very normal and natural to head to the buffet. :)

Personally for us, it signals the start of our vacation and has become a ritual. Hubby loves his Windjammer lemonade. ;p

Wow, there are chair hogs, door decorators, wife-beater-wearing MDR diners, lanyard families, loud walkie-talkie guy, etc, and now...

buffet snobs? It's like the Walmart of cruise ship eateries where some people wouldn't be caught dead there. Does this apply to the Colonnade as well as the Horizon Court or Windjammer?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk