Communicating with spouse while on board

My SO and I think it is imperative that we know each other's location at all times. You never know what could happen. Just look at the North Korea situation.

Therefore, we've devised a triple redundant SO Location Plan that is in effect from the moment we step on board.

You can never be too prepared.

Good stuff!! thanks for the laugh!

After not being able to find dh on one cruise we got good Motorola walkie talkies. They work fine as long as you remember to turn them on. Btw dh's phone doesn't text so an Internet package work for us. Actually he seldom takes his phone as we take mine and everyone knows to call me.

My SO and I think it is imperative that we know each other's location at all times. You never know what could happen. Just look at the North Korea situation.

Therefore, we've devised a triple redundant SO Location Plan that is in effect from the moment we step on board.

Step 1 is regular radio contact. We don't trust those little radios you get at Walmart though. We both have high end Motorola radios and we're both HAM operators. Every 15 minutes we check in with our on board location or "OBL". In the event of a 10-1, we make contact with pre-determined ground stations and give them our coded locations. Something like "SO unit one 14:45 check in OBL is lemur banana echo 6 until 14:52, will update further. " In this example, lemur banana echo 6 was a specific seat in the lounge used for Bingo.

Each of us carries a laminated ship map with our location codes in our ready bags that also has our spare batteries and a 12 hour food supply.

In the unlikely event of a step 1 failure (2 consecutive non-contacts) we go to our backup which is an hourly plan we stash at preselected dead drops around the ship.

We select 12 individual dead drops and then update each spot at the appropriate time with the next hours plan. So for example, at the 3:08 dead drop I code in my plan for the next hour and leave it there. If SO is unable to establish radio contact, they can pick up the drop and coordinate from there.

With each person having 12 drops the locations are only used twice daily decreasing suspicion. Again, drop locations are coded on a laminated card cross referenced with the drop times in the ready bag and photos of the cards are kept both in our phones and in an innocuous looking paperback in the cabin.

Step 3 I'll keep to myself, and we've never had to use it, but I will say it involves an intricate code we've devised using buffet silverware, 2 Pina Coladas, a red and yellow checkered scarf and a poor Guatemalan family whose inside cabin we pay for just for this contingency.

I

This is awesome!!!

Purchase the wifi on board for 2 devices. Download Hangouts or WhatApp on your phones. Use either app to text. As said you can also use Facebook Messager. We did this on Allure and it worked fine. We had a party of 6 and all of us stayed in contact.

As mentioned... Very Important... keep your phone in Airplane Mode so you won't be actually using phone and getting charged additional fees.

Enjoy.....

An abbreviated quote may work better as Hosts sometimes delete posts renumbering in the process and then your post may not make sense,

I'm pretty sure anyone who's read it knows which post they're talking about :')

We have cruised many times and have YET to figure out a good way to communicate with each other when we do separate things while on board; WITHOUT having to go all the way back to the room! I love to lay by the pool and chill, especially on sea days while DH like to go workout, walk around, etc. There are MANY times that I need or want to move spots, or go get some food or drinks but I am afraid to move because then we spend forever trying to find one another again!!! On our last cruise we purchased the internet plan and thought we would be able to imessage each other but that didn't work! Not sure what we were doing wrong! It has been several years since we've been on RCCL and I'm sure the internet pkgs and phone apps have improved tremendously!! With that being said, what way do you guys use to communicate with your spouse or family while on board??

Thanks!!

You didn't say what ship your on. If it is the Anthem they have messenger. It is $7.00 for the length of the cruise. You use the IQ app. Your phone will stay on airplane mode.

I'm pretty sure anyone who's read it knows which post they're talking about :')

Maybe in this thread, but it might be a bit more difficult in a 1000 post thread where the mods intervene.

Biker, who many times posts for general public consumption.

if your and your husband both have an Android or I Phone, you can turn off your Data & Wifi and text each other. While we on our July cruise, the daughter & I texted and she was in Colorado and we were off the coast of Galveston. Before that, DH & I would go over our plans for the next day and knew where the other was going to be and set up a meeting time & location.

When we separate we set up an approximate time and general location to meet up. example: we want to meet in a certain bar at ~4pm - that can be anywhere in the bar and could be anytime between 3 and 5pm. Nothing is worse than being in the middle of something and having to cut it short because we have to meet our spouse somewhere. We typically use the bar or the library as the meeting point because then the person waiting has something to do. I personally don't want or need to know where DH is all the time and he feels the same way. We use this system on land too - we were married before cell phones and started using it while still dating. Works great for us.

If there is an emergency, we are both adults and can take care of ourselves until we eventually find each other. If one of us has an accident, the ship will find our spouse.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Step 1 is regular radio contact. We don't trust those little radios you get at Walmart though. We both have high end Motorola radios and we're both HAM operators. Every 15 minutes we check in with our on board location or "OBL". In the event of a 10-1, we make contact with pre-determined ground stations and give them our coded locations. Something like "SO unit one 14:45 check in OBL is lemur banana echo 6 until 14:52, will update further. " In this example, lemur banana echo 6 was a specific seat in the lounge used for Bingo.

Each of us carries a laminated ship map with our location codes in our ready bags that also has our spare batteries and a 12 hour food supply.

In the unlikely event of a step 1 failure (2 consecutive non-contacts) we go to our backup which is an hourly plan we stash at preselected dead drops around the ship.

We select 12 individual dead drops and then update each spot at the appropriate time with the next hours plan. So for example, at the 3:08 dead drop I code in my plan for the next hour and leave it there. If SO is unable to establish radio contact, they can pick up the drop and coordinate from there.

With each person having 12 drops the locations are only used twice daily decreasing suspicion. Again, drop locations are coded on a laminated card cross referenced with the drop times in the ready bag and photos of the cards are kept both in our phones and in an innocuous looking paperback in the cabin.

Step 3 I'll keep to myself, and we've never had to use it, but I will say it involves an intricate code we've devised using buffet silverware, 2 Pina Coladas, a red and yellow checkered scarf and a poor Guatemalan family whose inside cabin we pay for just for this contingency.

Thank you thank you thank you.😂😂😂

My method works too..."see you later..."