Grand Princess or Regal Princess??

lucyandricky

We are trying to decide between a 10 day Mexican cruise on the Grand...we have a deposit on a mini suite....or a 14 day western Caribbean on the Regal. The port itinerary is not of much importance, but the ship is, and we have not been on either ship. Any suggestions, pros and cons of each ship? The balcony on the Grand is hard to pass up, but so is the beauty of the Regal. Unfortunately we can't do both.

We are trying to decide between a 10 day Mexican cruise on the Grand...we have a deposit on a mini suite....or a 14 day western Caribbean on the Regal. The port itinerary is not of much importance, but the ship is, and we have not been on either ship. Any suggestions, pros and cons of each ship? The balcony on the Grand is hard to pass up, but so is the beauty of the Regal. Unfortunately we can't do both.

Some things to thing about

Grand

Sails from S.F. a nice place to visit pre or post cruise.

S.F. is a long flight from Atlanta

The Grand is the first Grand Class ship, in good condition, but shows some signs of age.

The sea days along the coast of CA will be cool and could be choppy..

The Grand has an indoor pool

Regal

Sails from Ft. Lauderdale which is a short flight or day's drive from Atlanta

Regal is a new ship a few years ald

The 14 day cruise you are speaking about is really two 7 day cruises back to back. You will return to Ft. Lauderdale after 7 days where you will have to go through immigration. Not a big thing, just be aware.

The weather and seas will most likely be tropical the entire trip.

The Regal has an extensive buffet.

Starting November the Regal will be a medallion ship. Check out medallion on the Princess web site.

Thanks for the great information and all good for consideration! The balcony on the Grand mini suite is really spacious, but we know on the Regal the rooms and balconies are small, and we wouldn't be getting a mini suite on this ship. Is sailing on this ship in a regular balcony cabin worth giving up the personal space? My husband is leaning towards the larger balcony, but the beauty of the Regal is really calling to me, and he's willing to do either one.

Only you and dh know what is most important to you. I have sailed on both the Grand and the Royal (same class as Regal). I love the Royal.

The differences in balcony size is substantial. The depth of the balcony on the Regal is 4'. Never been in a mini suite so I don't know how that compares but regular balconies on the Grand are 5'. That extra foot makes a difference. If you spend a lot of time on your balcony it will make a difference.

No promenade to walk around outside on the Regal. But does have a walking track on deck 17. Not the same as a promenade though.

However.... Regal will have a wonderful buffet area. It is sooooooo much larger than the Grand. Lots more choices. The atrium is much bigger too with more seating.

Because a balcony is not that important to me I personally would pick the Regal for the expanded Horizon Court and Atrium. I also like longer cruises so 14 days is better than 10.

Thanks for the great information and all good for consideration! The balcony on the Grand mini suite is really spacious, but we know on the Regal the rooms and balconies are small, and we wouldn't be getting a mini suite on this ship. Is sailing on this ship in a regular balcony cabin worth giving up the personal space? My husband is leaning towards the larger balcony, but the beauty of the Regal is really calling to me, and he's willing to do either one.

Mini suites on the Regal have interiors of approximately 290 sq, ft. On the Grand they are right around 270 sq. ft. The layout is just about the same. There is more storage space on the Regal. Mini suite balconies on the Grand are 9'x6' and uncovered. The exception are the 12 mini suites on deck 8 aft that are fully covered. These usually book up quickly. Mini suite, as well as other category balconies on the Regal are 9'x4' and covered. Chairs must be placed sidewards to fit. There are some balconies that are angled and larger. Search the deck plans for these. On the Regal the mid ship balconies are under the Skywalk. The ones on the upper few decks, starboard side, are in the direct sight line of those on the Skywalk. On the port side the view from the Skywalk is partially blocked by the Seaview Bar. Upper deck mid ship cabins also get the pale blue light from the Skywalk which is on overnight. On both ships check out the Club Class minis. Club Class dining may be something you enjoy. On the Regal there are some forward facing Club Class minis on decks 15 and 16. The corner ones are extra large with wrap around balconies. On the deck plans check for connecting cabins. It has been reported that some noise can be heard through the connecting interior door.

Although you did not ask, the Grand has 7 window suites on deck 6. No balcony, but you get full suite benefits. Sometimes these have good pricing.

We have cruised on both the Grand and the Regal (and the Royal too). The Grand was our least favourite Princess ship. When we were on it there were lots of issues - power outages, lots of leaking pipes in the hallway near our cabin and some really funky smells because of those leaks. We loved the Regal and the Royal - beautiful ships. We preferred the buffet layout on them compared to the Grand. The balconies on the Regal and Royal are smaller than on the Grand, but if all you are doing is sitting out there, they are fine. We would cruise the Grand again if an itinerary we really wanted was only offered on it, but other than that it would not be our first choice.

Good stuff so far. Here are a few other things to toss into the equation:

-- The regular balcony cabin on Regal will not have a sofa of any kind. You have to go up to a deluxe balcony for that. So you have a 9 by 4 balcony outside and nowhere to sit inside except for one chair and the bed. Meanwhile, the mini-suite on the Grand features a modest sofa and a 9 by 7 balcony, so there's a lot more room to enjoy the cabin, inside and out. On any cruise over a week, that stuff matters to us.

-- If you like a good cup of coffee, just regular old coffee, you might be happier on the Regal. Both ships have baristas and specialty coffees for an extra charge, but the Regal has coffee in the dining rooms and buffet that is made from grounds. The Grand's standard coffee is made from concentrate.

-- The problems Daisyloo mentioned were common complaints a few years ago, but when we sailed on the Grand in October 2015 I saw (and smelled) none of them. Probably cleared up in the intervening dry dock. But overall, if you're looking for the classier ship, that would be the Regal.

-- I know you said itinerary wasn't a big issue, but it does affect other things on the cruise. If you cruise the Grand to Mexico, you'll have lots of sea days and lots of mariachi music. Are those good things or bad? On the Regal in the Caribbean, you'll have smoother waters and a chance to take steel drum lessons. Just a different vibe.

Jim

I don't know about availability at this time... How far ahead you are booking?

But, look for the Deluxe Balconies, located mid-ship, that will have larger balconies and a tiny love-seat sofa.

It seems that the Ragal is the newer, better, ship.

But, the balconies are your biggest concern?

We are in ATL as well. We've been on Regal and Caribbean Princess. We chose Caribbean Princess last time only because of the itinerary. This time we are choosing Regal because the ship is better, cleaner and newer, and the food is much-much-much better (the whole family loves food).

Regal all the way, since the itinerary doesn't matter to you. Plus, FLL is so much closer to ATL.

P.S. Disclaimer - we only get inside rooms.

I would go with Regal. Newer ship, you could drive to the port (if you wanted). The buffet is great.

The regular balcony room is nice. It does come with two chairs to sit on. One chair for the desk and a second one for sitting. I would look for a angled balcony mid ship. They are nice.

We have been on the Grand 2 times. Transatlantic & Hawaii both long cruises no issues enjoyed them very much. We have cruised on the Regal 2 times. Transatlantic & Caribbean both good cruises. I like both ships having said that I would choose the Regal. We did a Mexican Riviera cruise some years back from LA. It was cold. We did not go to the pool once. It was to cool & windy to lay out or use our balcony. Only cruise out of 37 cruises that has happened to us. It was fine on land but we had a lot of sea days not good. It may have been a fluke but I asked our steward about it he said it is like that most of the time. We love sitting on our balcony the only time we could was on the days we returned from port before we sailed. We did a Panama Canal cruise from San Diego the weather was the same until we got to Costa Rica. I would pick the Regal for the weather alone.

I love the size of the Grand. Just feels roomy to me. I've sailed her twice. I had a reservation on the Regal and cancelled in favor of Celebrity Constellation. I just like the smaller ships. Easy on, easy off. And, I spend a lot of time on the balcony and rarely venture off the ship.

I've never sailed on the Regal but have booked on the Royal quite a bit of research. I have sailed many times on the Grand and while she is officially my least favorite ship in the fleet, there are couple of reasons to consider this.

- Sailing out of San Francisco out under the Golden Gate is simply spectacular

- She always seems to get the best crew / staff that can be found on the high seas

- She has window suites for little more than the mini suites (full suite benefits)

- Did I say San Francisco yet?? She's expensive but worth it if you've not been here before!!

Other than that, for the ship alone, I would pick the Regal. If for the experience, I would go for the Grand and would try to get a window suite or one of the Emerald deck aft Mini-suites, which are covered. The last two on each end have super large balconies and the one on the starboard side is probably the most sought after cabin on the entire ship.

Another point to keep in mind when deciding-----if the 14 day cruise on the Regal is a combination of two 7 day cruises, you can get 2 cruise credits added to your Princess cruise history even if you book it as a single booking number. That will put you one cruise credit closer to getting the benefits of a higher level in the Captain's Circle loyalty club. If you are a veteran or a shareholder of Carnival Corporation stock, you will get $250 in onboard credit for a 14 day cruise. For the 10 day cruise you would only get $100.

All that being said, and having sailed on both ships multiple times, I would opt for the Regal over the Grand.

Having sailed both the Grand and the Royal, I would go with the Regal as to ships amenities. Also would put Caribbean above Mexico as choice of itinerary. Last time on Grand she was okay but I could not turn down the deal at last minute as SF is only 40 minutes from home. For you I would think Regal tops out for everything except the fact that the cruise on the Grand gets you a trip to SF.

• 4 weeks later...
Just got off the Grand yesterday - my third cruise on her and will be back on her for Christmas.

Been on the Regal - same as Royal

22 times on Princess

Take the Royal,, you will Love it..

Any good points about the Grand as we have booked our first sailing on her next year to Alaska (many appear to be negative about her on this thread)? We usually sail X, but the embarkation at SF has persuaded us to give Princess a try.

I'd do the Regal. The food was good. Best buffet we've seen on ANY ship. Really elegant inside. 14 days versus 10 days? I mean there's your choice right there!