re meat pies

There's not a thing wrong with keeping tinned food as reserves, although since I married centuries ago, the only tinned food I have in my pantry is tuna, anchovies, etc.Ā  Oh, and sometimes borlotti beans.Ā  My mother always had the kitchen cupboards bulging with tinned foods, and as a result, I'm a fresh food fanatic.Ā 

My idea of paradise is meandering through fruit and vegetable markets, and I just love the fish market.Ā  I did the gargantuan Christmas shop at our Canberra Fyshwick markets yesterday, and was shocked beyond belief at the tally.Ā  I think it's double last year's, and we're not collecting the turkey and ham till tomorrow.Ā 

I've often wondered about all that tinned food, because my father had the most amazing vegetable garden, always, and we kids were raised on its bounty.Ā  I think the tinned "backups" were a result of living through the war years, where everything was rationed, and I suppose there was a lingering fear that things would run out.

Happy, peaceful Christmas to you all, and may January bring a year of the same, with good health all around, especially for you, Les.Ā Ā 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

There's not a thing wrong with keeping tinned food as reserves, although since I married centuries ago, the only tinned food I have in my pantry is tuna, anchovies, etc.Ā  Oh, and sometimes borlotti beans.Ā  My mother always had the kitchen cupboards bulging with tinned foods, and as a result, I'm a fresh food fanatic.Ā 

My idea of paradise is meandering through fruit and vegetable markets, and I just love the fish market.Ā  I did the gargantuan Christmas shop at our Canberra Fyshwick markets yesterday, and was shocked beyond belief at the tally.Ā  I think it's double last year's, and we're not collecting the turkey and ham till tomorrow.Ā 

I've often wondered about all that tinned food, because my father had the most amazing vegetable garden, always, and we kids were raised on its bounty.Ā  I think the tinned "backups" were a result of living through the war years, where everything was rationed, and I suppose there was a lingering fear that things would run out.

Happy, peaceful Christmas to you all, and may January bring a year of the same, with good health all around, especially for you, Les.Ā Ā 

I have some old recipes which call for creamed corn or tinned corn, which I used for years. Ā One day it dawned on me I could use fresh corn. Ā They needed tinned food in the bush, because they couldn't just pop in to town. Ā However, all my country relatives had beautiful vegetable and herb gardens (in the back yard) and roses in the front yard. Ā 

Wishing you all the joys of Christmas, good health and every happiness in 2023. Ā I now appreciate why my grandmother used to wish everyone good health. Ā Wishing you a return to good health Les.

I love markets. Ā We have a good fresh food one here at HOTA in Surfers Paradise, so we will go at 6 am tomorrow. Ā We don't have a fish market, but we have a local seafood shop which provides seafood vans for the markets in Brisbane. Ā 

I love the markets in Sydney and Melbourne and suburbs like Prahan. Ā Our Govt did away with our old centre city market in its wisdom.Ā 

• Like 3

We are still snowed in on the wet coast of the Great White North. We are working through the freezer. Today was pie day. These are "Australian Style" meat pies made in Canada šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦Ā  bye an Australian guy. One steak an mushroom one chicken curry.20221223_162245.thumb.jpg.e1a5786840d73920fad1fad273cd2bf4.jpg

• Like 5

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

We are still snowed in on the wet coast of the Great White North. We are working through the freezer. Today was pie day. These are "Australian Style" meat pies made in Canada šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦Ā  bye an Australian guy. One steak an mushroom one chicken curry.20221223_162245.thumb.jpg.e1a5786840d73920fad1fad273cd2bf4.jpg

Good onya mate. They look ridgey didge.šŸ‘

The steak and mushroom has chunks of beef and sliced mushrooms with a thick gravy. Both could be eaten by hand.

Unfortunately the place we got them from doesn't seem to stock them anymore šŸ˜•Ā 

Ā 

20221223_164816.thumb.jpg.487cfe04455f1eb4c7dcce49c84ebfc7.jpg

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 4:06 PM, GUT2407 said:

My Nan always added some to apple pie, youā€™d never know if you hadnā€™t sat helping peel them. But she was of that vintage where every dunny had a Chook vine and fleshing out meals was necessary.

Yep, good olde dunnyfruit. Never one of my faves.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

The steak and mushroom has chunks of beef and sliced mushrooms with a thick gravy. Both could be eaten by hand.

Unfortunately the place we got them from doesn't seem to stock them anymore šŸ˜•Ā 

Ā 

They both look good Lyle, but horse required on the meat one.

342005773_TomatoSauceBottlewithlabel.jpg.9914dd5dee7c0fea753f04abb848a300.jpghayden-s-pies.jpg.02676d3a8bb3ec18ea6920c26e7a9d4b.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

They both look good Lyle, but horse required on the meat one.

342005773_TomatoSauceBottlewithlabel.jpg.9914dd5dee7c0fea753f04abb848a300.jpghayden-s-pies.jpg.02676d3a8bb3ec18ea6920c26e7a9d4b.jpg

Ā 

As I have mentioned in the past Les the "Orse" will have to wait until we are down under. I will try it when I'm there because it is an Ozzy thing and require real Ozzie pies. I may even try the mushy peas just to know if I like them or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

You are fortunate to be able to buy an Aussie style pie in Canada. Ā I bought a delicious brisket one at a market yesterday. Ā So yummy! Ā Perfect outdoor picnic food. Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Ā 

Bummer for that, maybe order some online from whoever sells them now.

No Pies for us at the moment šŸ™‚Ā  We are preparing for Christmas lunch tomorrow with today's tasks including cooking up the beef & pork in the convection oven. We also will have ham & chicken & enough salads to feed everyone, at least.

Ā 

While we are preparing this, we are listening to Christmas music, including my present to myself (I know it's not Christmas until tomorrow, but I'm as 65 year old kid šŸ™‚Ā ) - the Slim Dusty "Christmas on the Station" CD, just released in time for Chrissie. The recordings were done 50 years ago (Slim passed in 2003) & the music is most appropriate for an Aussie Christmas. My favourite so far is 'Santa Looked A Lot Like Daddy' which brings back memories.

Lyle, for your trip down-under you will need to familarise yourself with Slim Dusty.

Ā 

Oh, to finish up our lunch we had a fruit mince pie each, so we are still on track with pies.

Ā 

Merry Christmas to all.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, mr walker said:

No Pies for us at the moment šŸ™‚Ā  We are preparing for Christmas lunch tomorrow with today's tasks including cooking up the beef & pork in the convection oven. We also will have ham & chicken & enough salads to feed everyone, at least.

Ā 

While we are preparing this, we are listening to Christmas music, including my present to myself (I know it's not Christmas until tomorrow, but I'm as 65 year old kid šŸ™‚Ā ) - the Slim Dusty "Christmas on the Station" CD, just released in time for Chrissie. The recordings were done 50 years ago (Slim passed in 2003) & the music is most appropriate for an Aussie Christmas. My favourite so far is 'Santa Looked A Lot Like Daddy' which brings back memories.

Lyle, for your trip down-under you will need to familarise yourself with Slim Dusty.

Ā 

Oh, to finish up our lunch we had a fruit mince pie each, so we are still on track with pies.

Ā 

Merry Christmas to all.

Saw a show on TV about using what you have in your pantry and fridge before cooking new stuff. Ā So that is what I'm doing today. Ā My daughter brought home a mushroom pie each (our favourites were sold out), so we're having a pie with old roasted vegs for lunch. Ā 

Enjoy your Slim Dusty Christmas music. Ā Have you visited his Museum? Ā 

Hope you have a wonderful family Christmas.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Enjoy your Slim Dusty Christmas music. Ā Have you visited his Museum? Ā 

Hope you have a wonderful family Christmas.

Yes we have been to the Kempsey Centre - my Dad & I have both been 'Mates of Slim Dusty' club members for some years. Since dad passed in 2016 we have kept his membership current - he would have liked that.

Ā 

Thanks Marion - my Mum will be joining us. She's 87 so we need to make the most of every Christmas.

We hope you also have a wonderful Christmas

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Yes we have been to the Kempsey Centre - my Dad & I have both been 'Mates of Slim Dusty' club members for some years. Since dad passed in 2016 we have kept his membership current - he would have liked that.

Ā 

Thanks Marion - my Mum will be joining us. She's 87 so we need to make the most of every Christmas.

We hope you also have a wonderful Christmas

My younger daughter is spending Christmas with her Nanna who turned 100 this year. Ā I agree you need to appreciate every opportunity to celebrate together at those grand ages. Ā 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Got a butcher made duck and veal pot pie for Christmas eve. Very delicious French style gravy, probably the last thing I'll be baking this year with the heat wave comingšŸ„µ

Duck and Veal pot pie sounds interesting mixture.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Merry Xmas all, we are putting last night's left overs into a pie for lunch.

Not sure it will work though as there is a lot of trifle. šŸ˜‰

Mmmm trifle pie, my two favourite food groups in one.

• Like 1