re meat pies

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I don't think it's ice cream in the middle. They are not frozen cakes. I think it's some artificial non-dairy stuff that's supposed to imitate creaml think. Fresh not frozen, mock cream, right Lyle?

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Not fresh, a shelf item like biscuits, so a fairly long shelf life. 

I don't think there is any equivalent in Australia.

Not seen any.

Here's the list of ingredients in them:

Enriched bleached wheat flour [flour, barley malt, ferrous sulfate (iron), "b" vitamins (niacin, thiamine mononitrate (b1), riboflavin (b2), folic acid)], sugar, water, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated vegetable and/or animal shortening (contains one or more of: soybean, cottonseed or canola oil, beef fat), whole eggs, dextrose, contains 2% or less of: modified corn starch, glucose, leavenings (sodium acid pyrophosphat

They sound revolting!

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Here's the list of ingredients in them:

Enriched bleached wheat flour [flour, barley malt, ferrous sulfate (iron), "b" vitamins (niacin, thiamine mononitrate (b1), riboflavin (b2), folic acid)], sugar, water, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated vegetable and/or animal shortening (contains one or more of: soybean, cottonseed or canola oil, beef fat), whole eggs, dextrose, contains 2% or less of: modified corn starch, glucose, leavenings (sodium acid pyrophosphat

They sound revolting!

I am buggered wheat flour, just eat the mock cream, although that sounds dodgy.🤢

Twinkies are incredibly artificial. When I lived in the US, they would say Twinkies were “food” that could survive a nuclear war or the apocalypse.

The centre is white gooey stuff. Not recognisable as a foodstuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I am buggered wheat flour, just eat the mock cream, although that sounds dodgy.🤢

It's not even normal wheat flour, it's enriched BLEACHED wheat flour. And any resemblance between mock cream and that filling is probably purely coincidental. 😆

57 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Twinkies are incredibly artificial. When I lived in the US, they would say Twinkies were “food” that could survive a nuclear war or the apocalypse.

The centre is white gooey stuff. Not recognisable as a foodstuff.

I like that description - white gooey stuff! 🤣

A Twinkie is indeed cake with a cream filling (although cream is probably being very generous) Sponge cake and some mystery substance they call cream. There was an urban myth that they had an unlimited shelf life, in fact I think it's more than 30 days.

9 hours ago, NSWP said:

Scallops are great from Tasweiga. Not tried them in a pie, i suppose they would be in a cream sauce or cheese sauce. Lubbly jubbly.

When I was in Ross their scallop pies had a curry sauce that was delicious. I love that they added the roe, it gave it a nice creamy umami hit😋.

4 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

When I was in Ross their scallop pies had a curry sauce that was delicious. I love that they added the roe, it gave it a nice creamy umami hit😋.

I think that some of the best pies I have had came from Ross,

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

We had something like a Twinkie here, covered in chocolate

Mr. Gut there is nothing quite like a Twinkie (and you should be thankful). I used that analogy because KFC is not a fare exchange for a quality meat pie; just as a Twinkie is not a fare exchange for an eclair. Twinkies never come with chocolate although I'm sure people probably put chocolate on them.

40 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Mr. Gut there is nothing quite like a Twinkie (and you should be thankful). I used that analogy because KFC is not a fare exchange for a quality meat pie; just as a Twinkie is not a fare exchange for an eclair. Twinkies never come with chocolate although I'm sure people probably put chocolate on them.

I have eaten a Twinkie, blowed if I remember what the one sold here that was very much like a Twinkie, but covered in chocolate was called, I will ask herself.

Some day my butcher will re-open in a normal fashion and I can get my pies. When I buy meat I want to see it so I can choose the marbling. I can call in an order but I don't get to choose the steaks or bacon or anything. That turns into an expensive guessing game.

51 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Some day my butcher will re-open in a normal fashion and I can get my pies. When I buy meat I want to see it so I can choose the marbling. I can call in an order but I don't get to choose the steaks or bacon or anything. That turns into an expensive guessing game.

No need for the butcher to reopen, Lyle, I do a fair bit of work with Meals on Wheels, I can freight some over on the next Air Canada plane from Sydney to Vancouver, if there is such a flight. Bit far to drive, the Manager won't authorise travel expenses.

Edited by NSWP
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Cracked pepper pie from my local bakery, The Cakeman. 

20200704_134049.jpg

That pie looks top quality.  I am giving it the 'CC pie of the month award.' 

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

Well got my Harry’s today, decided I would try the new chicken and leek, not overly impressed, the chicken was almost minced and it was a bit dry.

they also had a new minced beef pie

and coming soon lame and rosemary (which I will give a go eventually).

Meanwhile tonight is a pie of another type, APPLE.

Mrs G had the Feta and spinach roll as a tiger, ie with mashed spud, mushy peas and gravy.

• Like 2