re meat pies

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

If you get too desperate for one you can always make it at home but it never tastes quite the same for some reason.

Anything tastes better if I didn’t’ think have to make it and clean up after.

2 hours ago, gbenjo said:

Onions on top or the bottom ? 😁😁

Bunnings passed a rule that they must go under personally i don’t care much as long as the onion is really well done.

13 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Bunnings passed a rule that they must go under personally i don’t care much as long as the onion is really well done.

Who cares about rules.......I like them on top so what I do is...(but don't tell them though) is when they give me  the sanga with onions on the bottom.....I turn it over🙂🙃...........I know its wrong, but sometimes rules must be broken🤣🤣

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

Who cares about rules.......I like them on top so what I do is...(but don't tell them though) is when they give me  the sanga with onions on the bottom.....I turn it over🙂🙃...........I know its wrong, but sometimes rules must be broken🤣🤣

As long as there is snag onion bread and sauce I really don’t care what order they are in. Something cruise lines never seem to have got the hang of is a snag Sanger 

11 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

As long as there is snag onion bread and sauce I really don’t care what order they are in. Something cruise lines never seem to have got the hang of is a snag Sanger 

That is because of the US influence - hotdogs.

When the big Bunnings opened at Batemans Bay about 3 years ago, the community groups were invited to do the sizzle thing.  Initially they were directed by the Manager to obtain and serve the long bread rolls.  They jacked up to Bunnings because of price v profit, the groups won, and now use Woolworths bread, Wooloworths snags and frozen onions, Woollies sauces too.  What is the price of a Bunnings Community snag sambo these days? $2.50 ?  I do not indulge as they have no GF bread for me.😟Sad.

So if you come to Batemans Bay, we have Bunnings as a major tourist attraction, but wait for it...couple of months ago the big Dan Murphy's opened, that is now the major tourist attraction, along with the mini golf, Mogo Zoo is down the list now.   Some pie availability at a couple of bakeries still exists here, but Michels Patisserie shut up shop, rents too high.😆

Edited by NSWP

Please be gentle with the naive Canadian. Bunnings is a famous purveyor of "snags" which I understand are sausages. I also understand these famous snags are served with grilled onions either on top or on the bottom although there seems to be some disagreement as to which is "proper" and all this is always plopped on a slice of white bread and usually has red sauce. Have I missed anything?

9 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Please be gentle with the naive Canadian. Bunnings is a famous purveyor of "snags" which I understand are sausages. I also understand these famous snags are served with grilled onions either on top or on the bottom although there seems to be some disagreement as to which is "proper" and all this is always plopped on a slice of white bread and usually has red sauce. Have I missed anything?

Yeah, you have. Bunnings is a chain of enormous hardware/garden supplies stores. They are very popular. Charities (like Boy Scouts etc.) set up a sausage sizzle outside on Saturday mornings. They sell a lot of sausages. The sausages are served with a liberal serving of fried onions. There was quite a fuss made last year when Bunnings decreed that the onions had to be placed under the sausage instead of on top for safety reasons.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

Have you tried taking a couple of slices of gf bread to Bunnings? I am sure they would happily provide the snags etc. to you.

Thanks mate, that is what I do when I travel, l have my GF Buns and/or GF bread for a Maccas burger with no bun.  But Bunnings is only 5 minute drive from my place, so I won't starve if I do not indulge in the prescribed sambo.  Woollies snags are ok.I buy them often. Our Bunnings also has a small cafe selling, tea, coffee, pies, cakes etc, always busy with the Bunnings freaks.  I am not a big DIY person, so I only visit Bunnings as a necessity, perhaps every 3 months. I know a bloke who visits there every second day, just to walk around mostly and eat the sambos, but he does the snag stall for Garden Club and Mens Shed as well. He must be a Bunnings Addict, like we are Cruise Addicts.😜

Edited by NSWP

56 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Almost right Lyle. Can be bread or a long roll. Correct Sausages are called snags or mystery bags even, like a pie is.  Tomato sauce, bbq sauce (brown sauce) or mustard.  You can never have too many onions, my preference is onions on the top, but they must be crispy, often they are not, because often they come from a frozen pack, not fresh.  At home I put grated cheese on the sausage.  By crikey, the Aussieism you have learned on here, almost qualifies you as an Honorary Australian and that award is not awarded often.

th (3).jpg

Edited by NSWP

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Almost right Lyle. Can be bread or a long roll. Correct Sausages are called snags or mystery bags even, like a pie is.  Tomato sauce, bbq sauce (brown sauce) or mustard.  You can never have too many onions, my preference is onions on the top, but they must be crispy, often they are not, because often they come from a frozen pack, not fresh.  At home I put grated cheese on the sausage.  By crikey, the Aussieism you have learned on here, almost qualifies you as an Honorary Australian and that award is not awarded often.

th (3).jpg

I have found so many helpful folk to school me in the finer points of the land down under. Excellent coaching on meat pies and now snags and don't forget the beer...Fosters is for foreigners as no self respecting Australian would drink it. (just like this Canadian won't drink Molson Canadian)

For me a trip Bunnings may be interesting, I am a professional cabinet maker.

• Like 2

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

I have found so many helpful folk to school me in the finer points of the land down under. Excellent coaching on meat pies and now snags and don't forget the beer...Fosters is for foreigners as no self respecting Australian would drink it. (just like this Canadian won't drink Molson Canadian)

When I go to Bunnings, I have to be very disciplined to just look at what I want, buy it and leave. Otherwise I will be there for ages. A friend of ours claims that Bunnings is his favourite place in the world.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

Plenty for you then. Check their website, they got it all, even more than McDonalds.😜

• Like 1

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

When I go to Bunnings, I have to be very disciplined to just look at what I want, buy it and leave. Otherwise I will be there for ages. A friend of ours claims that Bunnings is his favourite place in the world.

With all due respect, your Bunnings Addict friend needs help, just like I need help with my addiction to Dan Murphy's now we have a big store just opened here. I am off there soon for some medicine, only a 5 minute drive. The more you buy the more you save, just like Bunnings and Aldi.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Yeah, you have. Bunnings is a chain of enormous hardware/garden supplies stores. They are very popular. Charities (like Boy Scouts etc.) set up a sausage sizzle outside on Saturday mornings. They sell a lot of sausages. The sausages are served with a liberal serving of fried onions. There was quite a fuss made last year when Bunnings decreed that the onions had to be placed under the sausage instead of on top for safety reasons.

I doubt Scouts would be considered a charity, more of a volunteer organisation or community organisation

49 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

DH keeps a firm grip on me when we're in Bunnings otherwise I'll come home with all sorts of weird things that "might be useful". 🤣

I love walking past the timber section. My father was a builder and the smell of sawn timber takes me right back to my childhood. Scents are often the most powerful memory triggers.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

Just now, MicCanberra said:

I doubt Scouts would be considered a charity, more of a volunteer organisation or community organisation

Scouts Canada is a registered charity with revenue Canada, perhaps they have the same status in Australia. By the sounds of things Bunnings puts this on to attract customers and I'm guessing they are probably able to use it as a Tax right off.

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Scouts Canada is a registered charity with revenue Canada, perhaps they have the same status in Australia. By the sounds of things Bunnings puts this on to attract customers and I'm guessing they are probably able to use it as a Tax right off.

Tax concession no doubt re giving their support to charities and other community groups, after all they use the Bunnings BBQ and Gas and Tent.  Like the cafes in Ikea and Costco, a magnet to shoppers.  Food, glorious food.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

DH keeps a firm grip on me when we're in Bunnings otherwise I'll come home with all sorts of weird things that "might be useful". 🤣

I love walking past the timber section. My father was a builder and the smell of sawn timber takes me right back to my childhood. Scents are often the most powerful memory triggers.

Yep fresh cut grass in autumn takes me straight back to the footy field.

8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

My wife tends to stay away in the building supplies, she would be in the gardening section.

My Dad worked in a mill when I was a lad and he would take us for tours while they were running. Back then they were milling mostly old growth fir, what a lovely smell. I work with many different types of wood, mostly hardwood, Some have pleasant aromas and some not as much.