re meat pies

Burger King has an interesting history in my area. When I was a wee lad they opened with great fanfare and lasted about 2 years. At the time we had several independent burger joints in the area and people stayed loyal. Slowly those mom & pop places closed down. In the mid 80s Burger King came back to test the market again, I think 4 outlets, all purpose built, This time they lasted maybe 5 years and they were gone again. The next try came in about 2000 with one outlet not far from my house, it's still there and about 2008 they opened a location in the downtown Victoria core.

• Like 1

Is Hungry Jacks still around in OZ? Used to be  lot of them in Qld.  I thought Burger King and Hungry Jacks had the same parent company, Pepsi mob. No Burger King or Hungry Jacks down here, 280 km south of Sydney.  We have Maccas and KFC, been to them half a dozen times down here in 15 yrs. But when travelling often stop at such places on the highways, because there is often not much else and they do have the prescribed toilets.

Edited by NSWP

Hungry Jacks is the Australian name for the Burger King chain.

When it was first being opened here, there was already a shop called Burger King which had the name registered. So, a new name was required.

Certainly still around in Melbourne.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

But when travelling often stop at such places on the highways, because there is often not much else and they do have the prescribed toilets.

When travelling for business domestically spend a lot of time driving in metropolitan areas (pre-Covid). Always on the lookout for the golden arches for a pit stop between appointments. Always can get a park, a coffee (and maybe a toasted sanger) & use the facilities. When mobile data was expensive could also use the free wi-fi, but don't worry about that these days.

My office manager always used to complain about lack of receipts for my Maccas visits - honestly who gets a receipt for a coffee 🙂 I'd just claim under miscellaneous!

54 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Hungry Jacks is the Australian name for the Burger King chain.

When it was first being opened here, there was already a shop called Burger King which had the name registered. So, a new name was required.

Certainly still around in Melbourne.

That's right, I remember now, Hungry Jacks name being adopted.   Nearest ones to here are on Princes Hwy, Albion Park and there is one just off the Southern Freeway near Wollongong.   Plenty of Burger Kings in UK I noticed when there last in 2018. The poms love a burger, well they like any sort of fried food over there.  I was going to say junk food, but a burger is bread, meat and salad, staples, lubbly jubbly.  Hungry Jack's chips are better then Maccas in my humble opinion. 

Now Lyle our resident Canuck and Honorary Strayan  is going to ask me what chips are, no not crisps in a packet - fries.  I hate that term 'French Fries'    Where did the French bit come in, invented there?

Edited by NSWP

If you check my posts Les while talking to the good folks down under I use proper terminology when I know it. Biscuits (what we call cookies) chips (french fries) crisps (potato chips in a bag) Lynn lived in the UK for 2 -6 month stretches many years ago and we use the terminology around the house just for fun. I do continue to learn new things though.

I have an interesting question about boots and bonnets, if the engine compartment is behind the driver, is the engine cover the boot or the bonnet. 

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I hate that term 'French Fries'    Where did the French bit come in, invented there?

Apparently there are a few stories but the one they think is most likely is that in WWII American soldiers couldn't tell the difference between French and Belgians and so thought the Belgium food stands that sold frites were French😂.

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Apparently there are a few stories but the one they think is most likely is that in WWII American soldiers couldn't tell the difference between French and Belgians and so thought the Belgium food stands that sold frites were French😂.

According to my esteemed French colleague, Mr Ecale, a connoisseur of red wine & blu la viande de chavel, the French fry is definitely not from France, but from Belgium as you suggest frites. He disparagingly calls our Belgian colleague 'French Fry'. Mr Ecale has no time for Belgians, less for Britons & even less for citizens of Etat Unis. He is very keen on Aussies & Kiwis, well our red wines at least. I will have to ask him about meat pies, but I expect he will class them as English & dismiss the very idea.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I have an interesting question about boots and bonnets, if the engine compartment is behind the driver, is the engine cover the boot or the bonnet. 

If it's the space for luggage, and often the spare wheel, it's the boot. It doesn't matter whether it's front or back.

I'm not sure what engine compartment cover is called if the engine isn't at the front.

I just ha d a thought about it one day at work. The woodwork shop where I work is right across the road from a woorld renowned auto restoration shop. They specialize in Mercedes 300 SL gull wings (a restored one is worth between 1 and 2 million dollars)

I looked over one day and there were some classic British cars...Aston Martin, Lagonda, Austin Healey even an E type Jaguar. all with bonnets and boots then there was a BMW M1, a Lamborghini Miura and a classic Porsche 911 if the bonnet covers the engine what happens when the engine is where the boot should be.

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Now that I have once again changed the subject I will move any further Automobile talk to the different thread so we keep this more focused on the noble meat pie.

Good lad, otherwise we will not permit you to enter Straya next century.😆

56 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

If you check my posts Les while talking to the good folks down under I use proper terminology when I know it. Biscuits (what we call cookies) chips (french fries) crisps (potato chips in a bag) Lynn lived in the UK for 2 -6 month stretches many years ago and we use the terminology around the house just for fun. I do continue to learn new things though.

Like on a VW Beetle?  Well it would be bonnet aft  and the boot would be forward.

30 minutes ago, mr walker said:

According to my esteemed French colleague, Mr Ecale, a connoisseur of red wine & blu la viande de chavel, the French fry is definitely not from France, but from Belgium as you suggest frites. He disparagingly calls our Belgian colleague 'French Fry'. Mr Ecale has no time for Belgians, less for Britons & even less for citizens of Etat Unis. He is very keen on Aussies & Kiwis, well our red wines at least. I will have to ask him about meat pies, but I expect he will class them as English & dismiss the very idea.

Well done Mr Walker, are you linked to fame and fortune with Walkers Crisps? 

th (4).jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I just ha d a thought about it one day at work. The woodwork shop where I work is right across the road from a woorld renowned auto restoration shop. They specialize in Mercedes 300 SL gull wings (a restored one is worth between 1 and 2 million dollars)

I looked over one day and there were some classic British cars...Aston Martin, Lagonda, Austin Healey even an E type Jaguar. all with bonnets and boots then there was a BMW M1, a Lamborghini Miura and a classic Porsche 911 if the bonnet covers the engine what happens when the engine is where the boot should be.

Smuggle one of those gull wings out for the old Gutster will you, though I am afraid I wouldn’t be able to climb in and out now days, like a lot of sports cars.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Then, of course, there are regional variations. 

We always called those crunchy things in a bag potato chips. Crisps was an alien concept growing up in the west.

Two others: Parma (correct); par I ( an abomination from nsw).

potato cake (easterners, mostly); potato scallop (correct).

• Thanks 1

Just now, Docker123 said:

We always called those crunchy things in a bag potato chips. Crisps was an alien concept growing up in the west.

Always chips for me remember way back when the salt was in its own little packet.

Scallop also called potato fritter in some parts of the country, whatever you call it, it is a nice addition to a burger

Just now, Docker123 said:

Yes Crisps is the English term, we say Potato Chips, now you have me confused.   Our local Fish and Chip shop, Bernys at Batehaven, won't serve you if you say Potato Scallops.  They demand you say 'Potato Cakes.' Muppets.  But the food is excellent. The potato cakes are huge.

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Always chips for me remember way back when the salt was in its own little packet.

Scallop also called potato fritter in some parts of the country, whatever you call it, it is a nice addition to a burger

I remember in England, the only Crisps brand back then were probably Smiths, the salt was enclosed in a little blue piece of paper. Maybe they did not have the technology back in the 50's to salt the crisps at the production plant.

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

I remember in England, the only Crisps brand back then were probably Smiths, the salt was enclosed in a little blue piece of paper. Maybe they did not have the technology back in the 50's to salt the crisps at the production plant.

That’s my guess too, a bugger when you couldn’t find the packet of salt till the chip pies were all gone. Now of course there is every flavour under the sun as well as plain.

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

Around here scalloped potatoes is a casserole dish involving potatoes onions and cream baked in the oven. Not one of my favourites

Yummy, love it, Mrs G frequently makes it as a side, if you can get some geese and leek packet soup mix it is a nice add sprinkled on each layer but she also adds some grated cheese each layer.

Just now, GUT2407 said:

That’s my guess too, a bugger when you couldn’t find the packet of salt till the chip pies were all gone. Now of course there is every flavour under the sun as well as plain.

I like Smiths cheese and onion.  Tried these ones? nice.1244491476_lanccrisps.jpg.30735e15fef1350d94ab1d934a10c075.jpg

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Around here scalloped potatoes is a casserole dish involving potatoes onions and cream baked in the oven. Not one of my favourites

Called Potato Bake here Lyle. You can cheat by buying frozen packs of it from the supermarkets, like Aldi and Woolworths. No mixing, put it an an ovenproof container and bake for an hour.