re meat pies

Hash browns are an interesting thing. To some they are the left over potatoes from the night before that are chopped up and done up in a frying pan, to others they are deep fried chunks of potato or the frozen bag of potato bits that look like what was left over from the chip machine and bagged up to be fried up at home. Of course there are the spud patties that rotten Ronnies calls hash browns. Then there are my favourite the shredded potatoes cooked in a frying  pan with oil and onions until some bits are crispy and others just cooked.

So I use the blanket term breakfast potatoes.

16 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Hash browns are an interesting thing. To some they are the left over potatoes from the night before that are chopped up and done up in a frying pan, to others they are deep fried chunks of potato or the frozen bag of potato bits that look like what was left over from the chip machine and bagged up to be fried up at home. Of course there are the spud patties that rotten Ronnies calls hash browns. Then there are my favourite the shredded potatoes cooked in a frying  pan with oil and onions until some bits are crispy and others just cooked.

So I use the blanket term breakfast potatoes.

Thanks for the explanation, I have these now and again, with my bacon, Heinz baked beans and what ever other healthy stuff is available, Birdseye Hash Browns.

th (5).jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Thanks for the explanation, I have these now and again, with my bacon, Heinz baked beans and what ever other healthy stuff is available, Birdseye Hash Browns.

th (5).jpg

The best hash browns I’ve had were on the Golden Princess, small triangle shaped ones. Crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. They seemed to go very quickly! And weren’t available every morning - probably just as well for my health. 

Leigh

5 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Is this the same mob

A05E9408-235A-4E0E-B507-59B8F847B28A.jpeg

Same logo Mr GUT. Google says company is owned by McCormick and Company who make all the dried herbs and spices. 

Edited by possum52

That is indeed the same mob, I don't often use that particular mustard. I prefer the Kuhne brand sweet Bavarian type. There is also another German brand that is like Dijon and comes in a little mug. The little mugs come in handy when we have little guests, we serve sparkling apple juice in them. 

43 minutes ago, possum52 said:

The best hash browns I’ve had were on the Golden Princess, small triangle shaped ones. Crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. They seemed to go very quickly! And weren’t available every morning - probably just as well for my health. 

Leigh

They are my naughty treat when cruising. I've never had a problem getting them in the MDR on any Princess ship, but it was trickier in the buffet - you had to get your timing right.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They are my naughty treat when cruising. I've never had a problem getting them in the MDR on any Princess ship, but it was trickier in the buffet - you had to get your timing right.

I doubt the Princess triangle shape hash browns  would be made on board, probably in massive bags frozen, then deep fried as required. Just like Maccas. But they are tasty.  I have seen the triangle ones in some hotel buffets here as well.  The supermarkets also sell the frozen hashy triangles, Edgell make them.

download (1).jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We usually have breakfast in the buffet. Just the occasional breakfast in the MDR. You are right about the timing in the buffet! 😀

12 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We have a variety these hash  brown patties here, most are made by McCain. There is another named Cavender's

We have McCain available here too, big range, they bought up several smaller frozen food producers, i.e. Griffs.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I doubt the Princess triangle shape hash browns  would be made on board, probably in massive bags frozen, then deep fried as required. Just like Maccas. But they are tasty.  I have seen the triangle ones in some hotel buffets here as well.  The supermarkets also sell the frozen hashy triangles, Edgell make them.

download (1).jpg

Yes, I'm fairly certain they are pre-made frozen ones but they do taste good. I think they deep-fry them. I'd never bother cooking them at home, they are a holiday treat. 

I do make potato rosti from scratch, but they aren't deep-fried. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

We usually have breakfast in the buffet. Just the occasional breakfast in the MDR. You are right about the timing in the buffet! 😀

We usually prefer to have breakfast in the MDR unless we sleep in. Less temptation that way! 🤣

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We missed chocolate😁

If you want good chocolate desserts you need to cruise Princess. They have some gorgeous ones, and they also do really good chocolate souffles.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We usually prefer to have breakfast in the MDR unless we sleep in. Less temptation that way! 🤣

Very true, but even though I do love Princess hash browns, I'm usually happy to have fruit and cereal for breakfast most of the time. So buffet is fine for that. Although I may finish with a danish with coffee!

Leigh

Didn't think they would, do they have any specific to the Australian market? They went to a lot of expense to put pizza on the menu here, that was probably 30 years ago. It wasn't bad but didn't catch on. Long since removed as a failed experiment.

18 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Didn't think they would, do they have any specific to the Australian market? They went to a lot of expense to put pizza on the menu here, that was probably 30 years ago. It wasn't bad but didn't catch on. Long since removed as a failed experiment.

Here is the Aus menu - Aus Maccas Menu - I think the NZ menu would be the same if not similar.

Leigh

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

In fact they bought up and killed off a very popular pie franchise in NZ.

I'm not sure how that would be helpful, did they think if they killed the pies people would switch to burgers? I think that there are many people who would never set foot in rotten Ronnies again because they killed the pies. Pies and burgers are not interchangeable. Pies take time burgers are...burgers. They are starting to get cheffy now especially in pubs they are getting upwards of $18.00. Even McDonalds is getting over $5.50 make it an "Extra value meal" and it is up to almost $10.00 for McD's