re meat pies

41 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Well done Mr Walker, are you linked to fame and fortune with Walkers Crisps? 

th (4).jpg

No connection that I know of 🙂 

Growing up a westie in Sydney, the salted, flavoured, crispy things that came in packs we called chips. The things fried in oil at the fish & chip shop & wrapped in butchers paper were called hot chips. As a youngster 10c of hot chips & an ice-block was a lunch treat. Or Mum would bring home $2 of hot chips and a loaf of bread & we thought we had it made 🙂 Washed down with GI!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Then, of course, there are regional variations. 

We always called those crunchy things in a bag potato chips. Crisps was an alien concept growing up in the west.

Two others: Parma (correct); par I ( an abomination from nsw).

potato cake (easterners, mostly); potato scallop (correct).

Parma in Vic, potato cake in Vic (correct), scallops are these below.

Chips in bag and hot chips are correct. Certainly not crisps.

My husband loves scallops as below and when visiting QLD as a teenager with his family ordered scallops at the fish and chip shop and received potato cakes. He wasn't happy! He thought he was getting a bargain when he paid for them!

Leigh

image.jpeg

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Growing up a westie in Sydney, the salted, flavoured, crispy things that came in packs we called chips. The things fried in oil at the fish & chip shop & wrapped in butchers paper were called hot chips. As a youngster 10c of hot chips & an ice-block was a lunch treat. Or Mum would bring home $2 of hot chips and a loaf of bread & we thought we had it made 🙂 Washed down with GI!

Pretty much the same in a Newcastle or every now and then my Auntie would sling us $1 and the three of us would pig out on pies.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Same in Victoria, although when I was growing up, hot chips were wrapped in newspaper. Before decimal currency came in we would be given enough money to pay for our picture (movie) ticket and something to eat at intermission and would keep six pence to spend on hot chips on the way home. At high school, the canteen sold hot chip rolls, we thought it was wonderful.

Leigh

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Pretty much the same in a Newcastle or every now and then my Auntie would sling us $1 and the three of us would pig out on pies.

15 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Same in Victoria, although when I was growing up, hot chips were wrapped in newspaper. Before decimal currency came in we would be given enough money to pay for our picture (movie) ticket and something to eat at intermission and would keep six pence to spend on hot chips on the way home. At high school, the canteen sold hot chip rolls, we thought it was wonderful.

Leigh

It's truly wonderful that we all had similar experiences growing up in different places.

When I was playing U10 cricket, Dad was the coach & the club would give us a soft drink after the game. Dad would give my brother & I 20c each & we would buy 10c of hot chips, an ice block & 5c mixed lollies which we ate while the coach & manager had a post-game beer. Life was great 🙂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It is a Parmy or a Parmi, not a Parma.

Parma in Victoria. But does it really matter what you call it? If we being correct it should be just referred to Chicken parmigiana.

Leigh

Proper Parmigiana (Parmi) is also called parmigiana di melanzane or melanzane alla parmigiana, an Italian dish made with shallow or deep fried sliced eggplant filling layered with cheese (parmesan) and tomato paste and then baked. Southern Italian regions of Campania and Sicily. Other variations have a cutlet of chicken or veal (or other vegetable) instead of the eggplant.

• Like 1

Proper Parmigiana (Parmi) is also called parmigiana di melanzane or melanzane alla parmigiana, an Italian dish made with shallow or deep fried sliced eggplant filling layered with cheese (parmesan) and tomato paste and then baked. Southern Italian regions of Campania and Sicily. Other variations have a cutlet of chicken or veal (or other vegetable) instead of the eggplant.

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Veal schnitzel? Never seen a veal parmigiana on any menu. 

Leigh

My local sports club use to do a nice veal parmigiana. They use to be pretty common in Sydney but I haven't seen them on a menu for a long time.

Just now, ilikeanswers said:

My local sports club use to do a nice veal parmigiana. They use to be pretty common in Sydney but I haven't seen them on a menu for a long time.

Thanks I have never seen a veal parmigiana anywhere. 

Leigh

12 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Veal probably became too expensive.

15 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

And potato fritter in NZ.

You mean frutter. As for crisps v chips, look at what is on the packet...crisps gee, we inherited the chips term, not the hot ones, from the yanks, but whats new?  Ketchup came from there, it was tomato sauce before, still is for me and dont get me started on biscuits v cookies, another yank variation on the Queens english. 

Edited by NSWP

11 hours ago, possum52 said:

Thanks I have never seen a veal parmigiana anywhere. 

Leigh

Just get a crumbed and fried veal scnitzel and load it with napoli sauce and cheese and grill.

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Just get a crumbed and fried veal scnitzel and load it with napoli sauce and cheese and grill.

I don’t really like veal so I’ll give it a miss thanks Les! 

Leigh

4 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I don’t really like veal so I’ll give it a miss thanks Les! 

Leigh

Nor do i Leigh, the thought of those baby cows getting slaughtered. Chicken parmi is good. I do it with gf breadcrumbs, packet ones.

Edited by NSWP

21 minutes ago, NSWP said:

You mean frutter. As for crisps v chips, look at what is on the packet...crisps gee, we inherited the chips term, not the hot ones, from the yanks, but whats new?  Ketchup came from there, it was tomato sauce before, still is for me and dont get me started on biscuits v cookies, another yank variation on the Queens english. 

They have been chips as long as I have had teeth.  Never crisps, except for English migrants.

This is the brand we had Growing up in Perth. Say CHIPS right on the pack.

20 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Nor do i Leigh, the thought of those baby cows getting slaughtered. Chicken parmi is good. I do it with gf breadcrumbs, packet ones.

I don't often have a chicken parma because at pubs and cafes, they tend to be too big for me to eat the whole meal. When my younger grandson was little, we would order one and share it. He now can eat a full size one by himself. If I make them at home (rarely) I buy the smallest chicken fillet or cut one in half.

Leigh

10 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I am not a fan of Parmi's served over a schnitty, I prefer the proper way which like I described above is more like a lasagne/ moussaka type dish.

Parmigiana is almost the national Aussie dish these days, taken over from the mixed grill of old.  The ones down my golf club are huge, they fill the plate, then they have to put the chips and salad over the top of the meat as no room left. Not the ideal presentation.  Bigger plates are required or perhaps smaller Schnitties.    Pork Schnitzel is nice too.