re meat pies

9 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Scouts Canada is a registered charity with revenue Canada, perhaps they have the same status in Australia. By the sounds of things Bunnings puts this on to attract customers and I'm guessing they are probably able to use it as a Tax right off.

I was a Scout leader for a while when my son was a Joey scout, Cub scout, Scout and then Venturer, there were fees to pay and I had fees as well despite being a volunteer. Pretty sure Scouts Australia is a non profit organisation with a tax exemption rather than a charity.

Mic, I think it's a bit of a matter of semantics. In Canada we have "not for profit" organizations. I am a member of a Sea Cadet Alumni group which is a nationally registered not for profit organization, it does not enjoy charity status to grant tax receipts. That organization created a separate "Educational Foundation" which does have charity status. I'm guessing the rules are similar in Australia. I guess it really depends on how your government defines charity. Rather simplistically here charities can grant tax receipts not for profits, usually not.

And so I won't be accused of hijacking, I bought a meat pie to have for lunch tomorrow. The big debate will be should I try to heat it up.

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Mic, I think it's a bit of a matter of semantics. In Canada we have "not for profit" organizations. I am a member of a Sea Cadet Alumni group which is a nationally registered not for profit organization, it does not enjoy charity status to grant tax receipts. That organization created a separate "Educational Foundation" which does have charity status. I'm guessing the rules are similar in Australia. I guess it really depends on how your government defines charity. Rather simplistically here charities can grant tax receipts not for profits, usually not.

And so I won't be accused of hijacking, I bought a meat pie to have for lunch tomorrow. The big debate will be should I try to heat it up.

Meat pies should be reheated in an oven and do not use a microwave oven as it will make the pastry soggy.

I do know that OzKiwiJJ but I was accused of hijacking another thread a while back so I have to pretend to tow the line. Of course that reminder was because I mentioned an Orange and a Clown in the same sentence. The biggest reason to hang out here, besides talking with some cool folks and learning local knowledge is that things wander off to other interesting conversations along the way.

Edited by Blackduck59

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

Meat pies should be reheated in an oven and do not use a microwave oven as it will make the pastry soggy.

Thanks Mic, I already knew that, the only reason there is a debate is that I do have access to a nice counter top oven at work. If I didn't have that it would be cold pie for me (it may still be cold, I like it that way)

19 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I do know that OzKiwiJJ but I was accused of hijacking another thread a while back so I have to pretend to tow the line. Of course that reminder was because I mentioned an Orange and a Clown in the same sentence. The biggest reason to hang out here, besides talking with some cool folks and learning local knowledge is that things wander off to other interesting conversations along the way.

I was chatting with some US friends yesterday. They had some interesting terms for their leader. I'll see if I can post an approximation of them. One was tw.atsicle, the other was orange wa.nkpuffin. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Scouts Canada is a registered charity with revenue Canada, perhaps they have the same status in Australia. By the sounds of things Bunnings puts this on to attract customers and I'm guessing they are probably able to use it as a Tax right off.

Bunnings only provide the BBQ site and equipment. The supply of food and labour comes from service groups/organisations for fund raising and is done on Saturdays and Sundays. My vintage motorcycle club usually does one a year and donate profits to a Prostate Cancer charity (as old(er) blokes that's a bit of forward planning😉). 

There's a strong demand for dates and booking is usually a year ahead. A few years back a couple of fake groups were caught out posing as charities just to make a quick quid.

The onions thing is litigation minimiser thing. Normally the onions were placed on top of the snag and someone decided that this was to risky as a small bit of onion could slide off onto the ground and some poor bugger could slip on it. It was then decreed that the onions go under the sausage. My thought on this is that chopped rather than sliced onions that were more likely to fall off/out. As to whether anyone has ever slipped on a bit of grilled onion is anyone's guess. Urban myth perhaps?

Edited by lyndarra

So are the snags always the same or do different groups use different suppliers. I have to say that we have some seriously talented sausage makers in these parts. I look forward to trying one of these grill ups. I'm not sure about Lynn though, she can't digest the casings, when I cook sausage here I take the casing off hers, needless to say hers are always cooked in the pan, even if I grill the others.

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

So are the snags always the same or do different groups use different suppliers. I have to say that we have some seriously talented sausage makers in these parts. I look forward to trying one of these grill ups. I'm not sure about Lynn though, she can't digest the casings, when I cook sausage here I take the casing off hers, needless to say hers are always cooked in the pan, even if I grill the others.

Lyle, you won't find any gourmet sasages at a Bunnings sausage sizzle. They will be probably the cheapest in the supermarket. The organisers will be looking a big profit for their charity/organisation. But once they've been charred on the bbq, covered with sauce and onions, they are amazing!

Leigh

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Lyle, you won't find any gourmet sasages at a Bunnings sausage sizzle. They will be probably the cheapest in the supermarket. The organisers will be looking a big profit for their charity/organisation. But once they've been charred on the bbq, covered with sauce and onions, they are amazing!

Leigh

Down here the community groups for the Bunnings sizzles and other fund raising sizzles around town,  get their snags and stuff from Woollies or Coles or Aldi.   Stay clear of the local butcher, too expensive and too much fat.  I like the Aldi snags personally, tasty.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

Funny how grilling something on a Barbeque and calling it a "fundraiser" can make the simplest things taste so much better. That being said apparently there is no way to make "international blend" coffee better (Good thing I'm not a coffee guy).

7 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Down here the community groups for the Bunnings sizzles and other fund raising sizzles around town,  get their snags and stuff from Woollies or Coles or Aldi.   Stay clear of the local butcher, too expensive and too much fat.  I like the Aldi snags personally, tasty.

That depends on the butcher. The one we go to has sausages that don't have too much fat, just enough to keep them moist when cooking them.

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That depends on the butcher. The one we go to has sausages that don't have too much fat, just enough to keep them moist when cooking them.

For sure, some butchers are better than others. But we only have two butchers in Batemans Bay now, Supermarkets killed them.  Both butchers snags have enough oil in them to run KFC world wide for a year at least. The supermarkets sell some premium snags though, Beaks are not bad.  I prefer pork sausages, might have some tonight with sauerkraut and fries.

Edited by NSWP

Our local butcher competes in the annual sausage awards.  Has won and been placed in South Coast NSW and NSW competitions.  When we did Bunnings BBQ he donated all the sausages.  Turned out to be a great advertisement for him.  He does his own Ham, Bacon, Cabonossi, Pepperoni, smoked chicken and Smoked and roast beef. Oh and he also makes PIES.

• Like 1

Thanks Mic, I already knew that, the only reason there is a debate is that I do have access to a nice counter top oven at work. If I didn't have that it would be cold pie for me (it may still be cold, I like it that way)

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I heat the pies in the microwave (1.45 for two pies) to heat them through, then put them into a counter-top toaster oven to get the pastry crisp.

McDonald-Trump.jpeg

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Funny how grilling something on a Barbeque and calling it a "fundraiser" can make the simplest things taste so much better. That being said apparently there is no way to make "international blend" coffee better (Good thing I'm not a coffee guy).

International Roast, been around for decades, many old folk drink it and have for years, but not this little black duck, it is revolting with a capital R. It is even worse than Princess Horizon Court coffee from those dispensers, that they keep topping up.

download.jpg

Edited by NSWP

39 minutes ago, NSWP said:

For sure, some butchers are better than others. But we only have two butchers in Batemans Bay now, Supermarkets killed them.  Both butchers snags have enough oil in them to run KFC world wide for a year at least. The supermarkets sell some premium snags though, Beaks are not bad.  I prefer pork sausages, might have some tonight with sauerkraut and fries.

I like the British Sausage Co. Irish Pork Sausages which Coles has. They are a very fine textured sausage with classic Irish sausage seasoning and don't have a lot of fat.

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

I like the British Sausage Co. Irish Pork Sausages which Coles has. They are a very fine textured sausage with classic Irish sausage seasoning and don't have a lot of fat.

Yes, had those, quite good.

I don't mind a sausage with a bit of fat, as they taste so much better, I just make sure all the fat has all been cooked/drained out of it (even if that means pricking it so they don't burst).

That said, kangaroo snags are great, no fat and very tasty.

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I was a Scout leader for a while when my son was a Joey scout, Cub scout, Scout and then Venturer, there were fees to pay and I had fees as well despite being a volunteer. Pretty sure Scouts Australia is a non profit organisation with a tax exemption rather than a charity.

Registered charity.

3A96B904-C19B-4803-A839-A21D7470A62A.thumb.png.2bf91b688b165ce8dfa87e72b197f3e3.png

23 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Well there you go, I should demand all those fees back.

Good one Mic, if you get them back you can shout me an adult bevvie at the scyc when you ACT cruisers get back to your normal shindigs, i will come over.

• Like 1