re meat pies

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

There are a couple things you have that we don't, the big breakfast burger, and some other things. We have a whole series of "Angus" burgers here. We don't frequent McD's we usually do Wendy's when we do fast food.

What is wrong with Tim Hortons, Lyle?  Do they have In n' Out burgers in Canada, like in the 'Land of the Free?'

10 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm not sure how that would be helpful, did they think if they killed the pies people would switch to burgers? I think that there are many people who would never set foot in rotten Ronnies again because they killed the pies. Pies and burgers are not interchangeable. Pies take time burgers are...burgers. They are starting to get cheffy now especially in pubs they are getting upwards of $18.00. Even McDonalds is getting over $5.50 make it an "Extra value meal" and it is up to almost $10.00 for McD's

I think the pie franchise was in financial difficulties so they were bought mainly for the location of their outlets, which then changed to McDonalds stores.

I rarely go to McDonalds. About once every five years or so for a quick breakfast when travelling. I prefer fish and chips to burgers.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

No Maccas pies, one time they did have apple  pies, sort of a crispy pillow with apple.

They still have those Les. When we are holidaying in Aus, a visit to Maccas for dessert occurs ocassionally and husband always selects the apple pie.

Leigh

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think the pie franchise was in financial difficulties so they were bought mainly for the location of their outlets, which then changed to McDonalds stores.

I rarely go to McDonalds. About once every five years or so for a quick breakfast when travelling. I prefer fish and chips to burgers.

I understand, open up a Maccas on the pie site, zoned by council, so existing use rights, etc, etc. That's Maccas, no mercy for the little guys.

Just now, possum52 said:

They still have those Les. When we are holidaying in Aus, a visit to Maccas for dessert occurs ocassionally and husband always selects the apple pie.

Leigh

And the complimentary seniors coffee or tea if you buy something.  Do they still have that promo?

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

lamb-and-roast-vegetable.png.8021396209cb12713c98404496a44058.pngSurely not Dad's ?

No, they were called Georgie Pie. They had stores a bit like KFC's with drive thru. Quite good pies but they tried to sell them too cheaply, to compete against KFC and McDonalds and ran into financial trouble. They were good while they lasted.

• Like 1

We think of Timmy's more as a donut shop. They do soup and sangys though and no burgers. As it turns out one of our many local Timmy's shares a parking lot with Wendy's. No In & Out Burger or Jack in the Box. National chains are A&W, Wendy's, Burger King and McDonalds, also Harveys on a smaller scale.

• Like 1

Talking about fast food now..up in Queensland they have some mad names for takeaway chicken places..like 'Big Chook, Fat Chook, Super Rooster, King of the Wings etc, probably a few more.  When I lived in the southern suburbs of Sydney we had a Greek takeaway shop we christened 'The Greasy Spoon' or 'Cockroach Corner'  work it out.😁

Edited by NSWP

We had The Donair shop, it was very popular with the fleet for late night eats after a night at the pub down the block. The owners sold it and about 2 years later the building was taken over by the township and condemned. Not only is the shop gone the whole building is gone. It's being used as a parking lot pending re-development.

28 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No, they were called Georgie Pie. They had stores a bit like KFC's with drive thru. Quite good pies but they tried to sell them too cheaply, to compete against KFC and McDonalds and ran into financial trouble. They were good while they lasted.

This was the McDonalds, NZ Georgie pie, alas no longer.  Maccas NZ had them for a few years after Georgies closed.  Looks like cheese in them and god only knows what else.

4MHUVLIFAFCOHDQXBX57DYTNPU.jpg

Edited by NSWP

40 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm not sure how that would be helpful, did they think if they killed the pies people would switch to burgers? I think that there are many people who would never set foot in rotten Ronnies again because they killed the pies. Pies and burgers are not interchangeable. Pies take time burgers are...burgers. They are starting to get cheffy now especially in pubs they are getting upwards of $18.00. Even McDonalds is getting over $5.50 make it an "Extra value meal" and it is up to almost $10.00 for McD's

Yep, not a cheap feed anymore. Though they do have 18 chook nuggets and two large chips for $10 at the moment, Not bad value for a feed fr two or three.

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Now Maccas has those stupid machines where you press all the buttons for a design your own burger.

Yeah seems no one wants to serve you anymore it is all self serve and checkout.

4 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Yep, not a cheap feed anymore. Though they do have 18 chook nuggets and two large chips for $10 at the moment, Not bad value for a feed fr two or three.

I reckon you would eat that serving on your old son, with a couple of tubes of Diet Pepsi or Pepsi Max..    Your Fur Baby Max would eat any left overs.  Do you get that sweet and sour sauce or bbq sauce in the little sachets these days? 

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

I reckon you would eat that serving on your old son, with a couple of tubes of Diet Pepsi.   Max would eat any left overs.

Nope too much for me and Mrs Gut to get through, we were on the road the other day, too much fat to let Max have much, Schnauzers are prone to pancreatitis, Mrs G had a $1 frozen coke, it is rare for me not to have a bottle of Max in the car, so I was set.

36 minutes ago, NSWP said:

This was the McDonalds, NZ Georgie pie, alas no longer.  Maccas NZ had them for a few years after Georgies closed.  Looks like cheese in them and god only knows what else.

4MHUVLIFAFCOHDQXBX57DYTNPU.jpg

The steak mince and cheese one was very popular. It was good quality meat too as I recall. I'm very fussy about meat in pies and I liked those ones. Yes, I think Maccas did sell them for a couple of years after buying them out but then they disappeared. I guess the usual Maccas diners didn't want pies. 

I remember a few years ago KFC did a pie that was chicken and mash potato and gravy. Once they did a spicy version using what they call here their Zinger chicken. They were actually pretty decent pies so I wouldn't mind if they brought them out again. 

9 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I remember a few years ago KFC did a pie that was chicken and mash potato and gravy. Once they did a spicy version using what they call here their Zinger chicken. They were actually pretty decent pies so I wouldn't mind if they brought them out again. 

I recollect those.   The Georgie pies sold for a while by Maccas NZ remind me of the square big ben pie.   They are probably still around OZ, NSW anyway.  Here we go Big Ben pie, I know, no dead horse.

th (3).jpg

Edited by NSWP

19 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

There are a couple things you have that we don't, the big breakfast burger, and some other things. We have a whole series of "Angus" burgers here. We don't frequent McD's we usually do Wendy's when we do fast food.

If I feel like a Macattack I'll do the Angus burger. If I must have a quick feed I prefer Hungry Jacks (Burger King).

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

If I feel like a Macattack I'll do the Angus burger. If I must have a quick feed I prefer Hungry Jacks (Burger King).

Haven't been to Macca's since Burger King opened here about 18 months ago, far superior burger IMHO.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Haven't been to Macca's since Burger King opened here about 18 months ago, far superior burger IMHO.

I agree, Burger King is a much better product, the beef patties and fillings are superior to Rotten Ronnies.